Confirmed with Link: Blashill Gone!

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I don't know. You look at their home/road splits and they were much better at home. I think the last couple of months is what killed him here, though. I thought it was clear the players were finally checking out on him. For all of the back and forth on how good of a coach he is, he was given a lot of very bad teams. And the players knew they were on bad teams. But he still got a lot of effort out of them and you rarely saw them flat out give up. For all of the wonder of why he was brought back, I think that probably played a part in it.

I thought the team did flat out give up in march. Fair chance Blashill was gone regardless but I bet that month put a nail in the coffin.
I dunno...I thought the effort was spotty at best. They definitely did not put together many 60 minute games. At one point I might have commended his ability to put a system on the ice, but toward the end there the discipline was terrible.

Reactions: jkutswings

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I dunno...I thought the effort was spotty at best. They definitely did not put together many 60 minute games. At one point I might have commended his ability to put a system on the ice, but toward the end there the discipline was terrible.
And the defensive system was extremely flawed.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, we saw more than once that Yzerman was upset, if not furious, over the Wings effort in the last third or quarter or whatever of the season. That had to have done him in. Yzerman is going to want a motivator next.
Ya can't remember which blowout it was but the camera panned to Stevie and he looked furious.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This was without question the right move (and probably a year late at a minimum). You need to keep things fresh for players when they go through extended periods of losing.

That said, those who are expecting a materially different product from the Wings next year will be disappointed unless we see material improvements to the roster (especially the blueline). If you are running a comparative fault analysis of this team, our overall talent level is most responsible for our current placement in the standings. It really isn't even close. Over the long term, teams will also play to their collective talent levels. It does not matter the level of hockey. Over time coaching will become more important as it becomes more difficult to improve upon talent. We are still a long ways from that. I think our next hire will also be a bit of a placeholder of sorts for a couple of years.

Anyways, I applaud the move even if we are up against several other clubs in the coaching market this summer. A new voice is very much needed.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

That's why I said the last couple of months, with a focus on that atrocious March. I don't remember stretches like that in previous seasons. There were ups and downs because the talent just wasn't there, but they still tried. They just sucked most nights. This year the team just seemed to say to hell with it.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Blashill was always a place holder Yzer would dump all of the losses on during this transition. Now that the younger Wings showed a lot of promise this season, hes in the market for a real coach.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
That's why I said the last couple of months, with a focus on that atrocious March. I don't remember stretches like that in previous seasons. There were ups and downs because the talent just wasn't there, but they still tried. They just sucked most nights. This year the team just seemed to say to hell with it.

Have to disagree there. Previous two seasons, probably half the games I gave up watching and just went into my office with it on in the background, specifically because those teams could not or would not keep playing after getting scored on a couple times. Any hint of adversity and they were done. This season that happened only in a handful of games.

-dale

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Because it's the polite thing to say? And even when expected it still stings to be told "we don't want you here anymore, thanks."

-dale

As a Michigan guy, this was likely Blashill's dream job. It's incredible he got so many years, but you know he's leaving disappointed he couldn't help build a successful playoff team and leave on his own terms.

Both things can be true.

He can be lucky and fortunate to get so many years at a prestigious job but also it's a bummer it never worked out the way he wanted and he'll largely be remembered as a disappointment.

A bittersweet tenure, I'm sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad