Confirmed with Link: Blashill Gone!

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Because 2of our best players are under 22, not over 35. The rest of the best players are 25, 26, and 27.

So getting to a playoff bubble team would mean we are ascending, not descending.

Why the f*** would you compare this to the 2016 roster? We’re not getting carried by 35+ year olds.

but the Wings also aren't anywhere remotely near to a Playoff team

any hypothetical situation where they were would require quite a bit of involvement in free agency to even get close to, who are by definition in or near their 30s

and honestly they're so far off of that that it would likely require something like that Malkin+Letang fever dream someone posted here a few times to happen who get this are 35+ year olds

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
giphy.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure why people feel sorry for Jeff! Many coaches in league history with just as bad of rosters lasted 1-3 seasons and got fired, he managed to stay with the team for 7 seasons, 6 of which were losing seasons and got paid NHL money while doing so. He seems like a nice guy and everything and I have no ill will toward him, but he got a lot longer leash than any coach I can remember ever getting.

Also, it boggles my mind that a few are still saying that coaching changes couldn't in fact get some of are younger players to find a new level to their games, when their is lots of history league wide of new coaches finding new levels out of players. Look at Sam Bennett as a perfect example who was stuck just kind of in 3rd line/4th line gear, traded to Florida and immediately played like a whole new guy. This happens plenty in the NHL. Not saying Zadina, Ras, Veleno and company will become better, but a different coach absolutely CAN help that situation.

Also, seven years of hearing the same message (especially on a losing team) for the vet players can get them to tune anyone out, so they will have a fresh outlook for the first time in a long time as well.

Houda and Salajko also needed to go almost more than Blashill, as we haven't really seen anything good come from the goaltending or defence over a full season since either was hired. Tanguay at least improved the pp his first year even if it was disappointing, it was still 6% better this season.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
1. Seider's impact getting better will be less dramatic than his impact filling the empty spot.

2. Raymond could get better, but I don't think his development will be linear. I think next year he might start slow as other teams continue to game plan for him, and he has less time to recover from his first long NHL season. How well he adjusts will determine if next year we see a sophomore slump or not. But my money is on his ceiling being about 25-50% higher than his final totals this year and will be a couple more seasons before they see that. However, if he's the only major weapon, those could be lower as teams force him to play against their top defenders night in and night out.

3. They could be, but, your plan requires multiple picks slotting into high impact positions right away or Yzerman to aggressive trade for players to fill those gaps, as the biggest question marks in your lineup aren't going to be filled in free agency this year in a way that would significantly move the bar from bottom feeder to anything beyond slightly less bad bottom feeder/barely a bubble team.
Post automatically merged:

How does being first round fodder/a bubble team not put this team right back where it was in 2016? The current gaps are way too big to hope to fill with middle of the first round dudes reliably and quickly. To significantly move the bar they either need to draft in the top ten a couple more seasons or they need to start aggressively moving assets to secure impact players. This team isn't a few FA plugs away from being good.
Draft a couple more years in the top ten? After being corrected on another post all say it again. 2024 season so you know who is on our roster? Fabbri and everyone else will be on ELC's that's a wide open roster, Yzerman can literally pick his entire team over again. With a core of Seider, Raymond, Berggren,Edvinnson are pretty much the guys thay will be on ELC's then. Safe to say Larkin will get signed and possibly Bert too. That's better than having a blank slate like an expansion team we'd already have a core plus our pipeline will still be full. If we are waiting another 2 years for draft pics that's like 2-3 years at least to start seeing those guys in the league. Zero chance we ice a team that is that young. We have the rookies now and the cash to insert higher end players through free agency and trades to mentor these young guys all coming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
It's a shame to me personally as one of about 5 supporters of him on the forum. But I can admit he was ultimately a lame duck coach. I just wish he was given say 2 years with a actual decent roster to see if he was a good coach when he had a NHL level talented roster.

I'm sure of him getting another chance in the bigs as a head coaching gig. I just hope he can be slightly selective and not jump on another tank team depth level roster.

You can tell if a coach is an actual decent coach by their team outperforming expectations. The measure of a coach isn’t if they succeed with superstars.

Blashill’s teams never once played beyond or even to expectations, and in some cases were far worse. This season and the historically bad season are examples of that.

He was a bad NHL coach. Period.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Blashill’s teams never once played beyond or even to expectations, and in some cases were far worse. This season and the historically bad season are examples of that.
Have you looked at our roster at any point the last 5 years?
To say they didn’t outperform expectations is fair. But no, they definitely performed as expected most of the time. It’s also a legit question if we even want to outperform the actual talent on the roster.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
To say they didn’t outperform expectations is fair. But no, they definitely performed as expected most of the time. It’s also a legit question if we even want to outperform the actual talent on the roster.

I have. I never expected the playoffs. But having a PK that’s dead last or damn near for how many years? Or how about a team record of 40 power plays and no goals last season? Oh yeah, and those wonderful league records for empty net goals against and 7+ goal games against? A good coach would have been able to strategize and motivate to mitigate some of those disasters. If that’s not underperforming then I don’t know what is.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Gallant said he didn't want to work for Stevie because they're buddies. He knows the nature of the job, every coach gets fired eventually.

With the state of the Wings roster when Gallant was available, it's entirely possible he didn't want to come here. The Rangers looked a lot more promising at the time and are further along the rebuild

sure, it may never have been possible, and gallant may have been 100% straight-up when he said that. and of course the rangers were a more attractive option than us. essentially a bubble team that got lucky enough to get no2 and no1 picks to supplemet a talented young team. but we should have moved for gallant before.

however, of course it is all speculative and if he never wanted to come here, then it was a no-go.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I have. I never expected the playoffs. But having a PK that’s dead last or damn near for how many years?
Or how about a team record of 40 power plays and no goals last season?
Oh yeah, and those wonderful league records for empty net goals against and 7+ goal games against? A good coach would have been able to strategize and motivate to mitigate some of those disasters. If that’s not underperforming then I don’t know what is.
I'm not sure I agree all of that counts as underperformance (PK was 22nd last season for example, then our goaltending got worse and we lost our top 2 PK'ing forwards), but even if it did it's not enough to say the team has never performed to expectations.

Even this season the team probably overperformed the first half, or did you think that was underperformance too? In that case, you were absolutely expecting playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can we please stop lamenting about how terrible this team is when you said they were “borderline good” in February, please?

Pick a side and stay with it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
sure, it may never have been possible, and gallant may have been 100% straight-up when he said that. and of course the rangers were a more attractive option than us. essentially a bubble team that got lucky enough to get no2 and no1 picks to supplemet a talented young team. but we should have moved for gallant before.

however, of course it is all speculative and if he never wanted to come here, then it was a no-go.
NYR was also essentially giftwrapped Panarin because he wanted to play in NY. And he sure as hell wasn't picking the Isle or NJ at that point.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Can we please stop lamenting about how terrible this team is when you said they were “borderline good” in February, please?

I think I've said they were bad from the start. :razz:

Regardless, good luck to Blashill wherever he ends up.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I have. I never expected the playoffs. But having a PK that’s dead last or damn near for how many years? Or how about a team record of 40 power plays and no goals last season? Oh yeah, and those wonderful league records for empty net goals against and 7+ goal games against? A good coach would have been able to strategize and motivate to mitigate some of those disasters. If that’s not underperforming then I don’t know what is.
If you never expected playoffs and he made the playoffs his first season...

Would you not say he exceeded expectations at least once? :sarcasm:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Everything here is speculative, none of us have much real inside information. I know 1 former NHL player, that's it....

But the Gallant/Yzerman friendship has been mentioned frequently in the press, this article states the flip side.... says Stevie didn't want to hire a friend because he'd have to fire his friend. Everyone knows the average NHL coach's tenure is only a few years.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Where did I lament how terrible the team is?

And "pick a side"? You'll have to explain that to me if we're not allowed to be happy with team performance at one point in the season and unhappy with team performance at a different point.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
If you never expected playoffs and he made the playoffs his first season...

Would you not say he exceeded expectations at least once? :sarcasm:

I mean the last few seasons. 2015-16 was an underachievement for the wings because they were a league average team and were Worse than the 14-15 wings with largely the same roster. Then 2016-17 happened and it’s been that bad or worse since.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Where did I lament how terrible the team is?

And "pick a side"? You'll have to explain that to me if we're not allowed to be happy with team performance at one point in the season and unhappy with team performance at a different point.
It’s the same roster for the same part, no?

You have defended Blashill ad nauseum on the basis this roster is an absolute atrocity and terrible. Trotted it out in a litany of posts (Why you want to defend him… I have no idea?). 2 months after saying the roster is borderline good.

If you are responding to posts critiquing Blashill and saying “look at the roster”, and not suggesting it’s bad or terrible, please clarify what you are suggesting.

Last edited:

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Blashill is the luckiest coach ever. If it wasn't for the Red Wings, he'd be coaching college hockey somewhere. To get 7 years as a coach with 6 straight losing seasons is unheard of. He became a millionaire by failing forward.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Blashill is the luckiest coach ever. If it wasn't for the Red Wings, he'd be coaching college hockey somewhere. To get 7 years as a coach with 6 straight losing seasons is unheard of. He became a millionaire by failing forward.

Meh. I can agree that he was lucky to stay 7 years, but he absolutely did pay his dues to get here in the first place. Good NCAA and AHL coach who got a chance with a rebuilding NHL team. It didn't pan out, oh well. Detroit has seen far worse coaches, even in the last couple of years frankly.

Reactions: Hinterland

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It’s the same roster for the same part, no?

You have defended Blashill ad nauseum on the basis this roster is an absolute atrocity and terrible. Trotted it out in a litany of posts. 2 months after saying the roster is borderline good.
I mean, I did say in the same post that I think defense is an issue as well as scoring depth, and that I didn't predict major improvement until the 23-24 season.

Btw, I'll defend the next coach as well if we still have the same defensive lineup, and our goalies continue to hover around .900. So I guess I'll "pick a side" there.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's pleasant, yet expected news on the coach part. I must say canning the assistant and goalie coaches is a smart move too.

I wanted Houda and Salajko fired more than I wanted Blash fired. Salajko should've been fired 3 seasons ago when Howard and Bernie both decided not to cover the post and played like crap. He's not an NHL level coach. I still have no idea what Houda's defensive system was supposed to be, and I guess we'll never find out.

I think a new coach is gonna be a huge shock to some of these players, I expect Erne, Zadina, and Hronek to wind up in the dog house at least once next season. Maybe Vrana too. (Oddly that includes all the Czechs. Better Czech your egos at the door, lol). They're gonna regret getting Blash fired.

It might also mean they'll win a road game or two next season. I still think they should've fired the travel coordinator to send a message, lol.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not surprising news I think it would have been way more surprising if they kept him around. I guess for those enjoying the news take what you can get, its only going to be a few months from now you will see the coach was at worst not the problem and at best only part of the problem. Who could have guessed the former GM building one of the worst rosters in NHL history was the problem all along.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not surprising news I think it would have been way more surprising if they kept him around. I guess for those enjoying the news take what you can get, its only going to be a few months from now you will see the coach was at worst not the problem and at best only part of the problem. Who could have guessed the former GM building one of the worst rosters in NHL history was the problem all along.
I'm pretty sure no one here thinks Blashill was the entire or even most of the problem.

We all know this isn't an all star roster he was working with. But it seems like they could do better than:

31st in GAA
32nd in PK
26th in PP
21 Regulation wins

Frankly it's astounding there's 7 teams below the Wings.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm pretty sure no one here thinks Blashill was the entire or even most of the problem.

We all know this isn't an all star roster he was working with. But it seems like they could do better than:

31st in GAA
32nd in PK
26th in PP
21 Regulation wins

Frankly it's astounding there's 7 teams below the Wings.
I don't know. You look at their home/road splits and they were much better at home. I think the last couple of months is what killed him here, though. I thought it was clear the players were finally checking out on him. For all of the back and forth on how good of a coach he is, he was given a lot of very bad teams. And the players knew they were on bad teams. But he still got a lot of effort out of them and you rarely saw them flat out give up. For all of the wonder of why he was brought back, I think that probably played a part in it.

I thought the team did flat out give up in march. Fair chance Blashill was gone regardless but I bet that month put a nail in the coffin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad