TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Last thing I will say is it was also stupid as hell to hype up ''season 5'' of Black Mirror and do so with a whopping three episodes. In no way shape or form can three 55 minute episodes be considered a season of a television show.
To be fair thats how the original black mirror was...

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
A really, really cool and important detail in Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too.
Ashley O's songs are built on Nine Inch Nails songs and they help illustrate Ashley's transformation.

Her "hit" song is based on "Head Like A Hole" but with a lot of lyrics swapped out.

The song she plays on the piano when she wakes up is "Right Where It Belongs" word for word, and her manager says it sucks and nobody will relate to it – it's not poppy or mainstream enough. When she's plugged into the dream box later on, her brain is writing the lyrics for "Right Where It Belongs" and you can see her manager swap out original lines for poppier lines.

At one point, Ashley mentions she'd like to change her career's direction and write/play a different kind of music.

At the very end, they perform "Head Like A Hole" as it was originally written. This – the original song – represents the new, less mainstream direction Ashley wanted to explore and means she has completely broken away from the manager's and industry's influence.

Reactions: Hypernova

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Striking Vipers
I actually really liked this one...maybe because it was the most black mirror of the three. It took a futuristic technology being used in an extreme/bizarre situation...but not totally unbelievable because it mirrors a real aspect of our ever changing relationship with technology. It was uncomfortable on a few levels...the actual plot and the real feel...and that is what BM does best.

I think a lot of people will focus on the gay aspect of the episode...but really it was just a general statement about what dating is like in the modern world and how easy this to form relationships through a screen.

I dont think this was top tier...but it was a solid episode.
I watched it last night and I had similar thoughts. I thought it was a solid episode as well. Nothing amazing, but well done and interesting. It's the only one I've seen so far, but I can't help but think that Black Mirror is a victim of it's own success at this point, in terms of the criticism it seems to be getting. I think the bar has been raised to probably unreachable heights.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Striking Vipers - 1/10
Absolutely f***ing terrible. How was this entertaining at all? Episode had great potential and that's the direction they take it? Garbage ending as well. 2nd to worst episode of the series. (whatever the black and white episode is called was the worst with the dog robot).

Smithereens - 3/10
Another horrible episode with a terrible twist and even worse ending than SV.

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too - 6/10
The only somewhat decent episode.

Overall - 2/10. Absolutely horrible. For a season with just 3 eps they all should have been elite, it's like they aren't even trying anymore. This used to be one of my favorite shows. What the hell happened??

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
Season 5 of Black Mirror was decent, but I prefer the much more depressing episodes in the earlier seasons.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Just watched episode 1...yikes. I'm a big Anthony Mackie fan too but that was horrendous. Quite possibly the worst BM episode ever

Reactions: Tuggy

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Rachel, Jack and Ashley could have been something but then it turned in to an after-school rosy ending. It's like the dark, sinister part of Black Mirror has been edited out of all these episodes. Did appreciate the commercial playing in the background for the grain implants.

Was it just me or is Cyrus not a good actress either.

Last edited:
Reactions: donkshow

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Striking Vipers - 1/10
Absolutely ****ing terrible. How was this entertaining at all? Episode had great potential and that's the direction they take it? Garbage ending as well. 2nd to worst episode of the series. (whatever the black and white episode is called was the worst with the dog robot).

Smithereens - 3/10
Another horrible episode with a terrible twist and even worse ending than SV.

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too - 6/10
The only somewhat decent episode.

Overall - 2/10. Absolutely horrible. For a season with just 3 eps they all should have been elite, it's like they aren't even trying anymore. This used to be one of my favorite shows. What the hell happened??

I actually liked Metalhead. It had this terminator feel to it - the thing would not give up. It was much better than any of these episodes. I think there are always a couple of bad episodes but when they own release 3 and they all pretty much suck - hard to give them credit. I still need to finish Smithereens but it was boring me.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just watched the first episode. I actually really liked the concept but something felt off about the execution, although I'm not sure I can put a finger on what it was. I will say that the video game discussion in the episode felt like it was written by someone out of touch. Overall though I thought it was solid. BM is at its best when it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
episodes 3 was definitely the best of the season, but I may be biased because of the NIN content

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Striking Vipers - 1/10
Absolutely ****ing terrible. How was this entertaining at all? Episode had great potential and that's the direction they take it?
I'm a little confused at the bold part. What potential was there that it had you intrigued at the start? The first 20 minutes or so was kind of a slog to me until the concept actually revealed itself. If you're referring to the VR aspect of it, we've already seen that what like 3/4 other times in Black Mirror now? At least this took it in a direction we haven't seen before.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Watched Striking Vipers last night and hated it. Anthony Mackie is better than this.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Rachel, Jack and Ashley could have been something but then it turned in to an after-school rosy ending. It's like the dark, sinister part of Black Mirror has been edited out of all these episodes. Did appreciate the commercial playing in the background for the grain implants.

Was it just me or is Cyrus not a good actress either.

While not as straight-up depressing as most other episodes (do they all HAVE to be dark and depressing BTW?), I thought the first ep.'s ending was upsetting in a lot of ways, and Smithereens had a very cynical ending.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just watched the first episode. I actually really liked the concept but something felt off about the execution, although I'm not sure I can put a finger on what it was. I will say that the video game discussion in the episode felt like it was written by someone out of touch. Overall though I thought it was solid. BM is at its best when it makes you feel uncomfortable.
Watched the other 2 episodes and I think the 1st episode was easily the best one (which has grown on me a bit since I posted this, and I'd consider it a good BM episode).

The 2nd one worked as a thriller, but the tie-in to tech was just kind of dumb IMO. I don't even know if you could call that a twist, but it wasn't necessary and created a ridiculous premise behind the main character's motivations. I'd describe this one more as bland than anything else. Overall, one of the weaker episodes of BM, but not offensively bad or anything.

The third one... I don't even know. While I did think that there were some funny parts in the last third or so of the episode with the introduction of
Ashley Too freed from constraints
, everything was so cheesy and all the commentary was incredibly ham-fisted. I know some of the cheesiness was intentional, but still... Definitely one of the worst BM episodes. I did like the running gag of the dad with the mouse traps though. I'm not sure if I missed what this was supposed to represent, but I just thought it was funny.

Thought this was easily the weakest season yet. I think Season 4 was good and I liked Season 3 way more than most people do (IMO this was the show's peak), but after Bandersnatch and this season, there's no question they seem to have "lost it" IMO.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Smithereens was really good. The set up and the way it plays out is incredibly predictable, but i enjoyed it still. Good connection with Chris as the main character which carries the episode. You’ll have the entire thing pegged in the first ten minutes but it’s still worth a watch.

Ending will likely have viewers split

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Finally got to Smithereens last night. I thought it was solid. I don't know if everything I saw on here lowered the bar that much or what, but I've thought the 1st 2 episodes were enjoyable. Certainly not the best that the show has offered but not bad at all.

Last edited:

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Striking Vipers (5/10) - I really liked the technology statement/concept.
The two characters falling in love online instantly felt pretty arbitrary which made it off putting.
I actually did like the ending though, it did have a bit of a Black Mirror kind of ending to me. Even if it wasn't as grim and dire as some of the episodes are.

Smithereens (6.5/10) - The episode had me hooked to my seat at the beginning of the hostage, but the whole "cop show" aspect where they tried to find info on the captor was pretty average, and also made it feel like not a Black Mirror episode. Also there was very little tie-in to technology.

The ending wasn't too good either. The concept of the captor trying to get in contact with Billie Bauer was a really cool concept... But it was so that he could complain that his technology caused him to text and drive? I found that pretty lame.

Rachel Jack and Ashley Too (2/10) - I hated it. The last half had me feeling like I wanted to throw my remote at my TV. It felt like f***ing Stranger Things meets The Suite Life of Zach and Cody.

Reactions: Cerebral

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Watched 15 million merits and Playtest

• 15M Merits: meh, started out kinda interesting, but fell pretty flat for me
  • Playtest: damn, crazy episode.. took a break after this one, lol

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i felt this season wasnt too "Black Mirrorish" for me, i guess im crazy and i wanna feel suicidal after every show. but not this season.
still entertaining, but it never blew my mind.

good acting and i see the technology part being used. but nothing amazing

Reactions: donkshow

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I actually liked Metalhead. It had this terminator feel to it - the thing would not give up. It was much better than any of these episodes. I think there are always a couple of bad episodes but when they own release 3 and they all pretty much suck - hard to give them credit. I still need to finish Smithereens but it was boring me.
Yeah it is not a bottom tier episode due to the cinematography alone. Story was for sure dumb and over the top.
I honestly don't like a lot of BM episodes. Least favorite being The Waldo Moment, Shutup and Dance, and now of course, Striking Vipers.

Utter garbage, only watched the first half with my sis before it became way too ****ing cringe to watch with her lol. Finished it later and nothing really changed.
I really liked the Miley Cyrus one, it falls into one of a handful of happy episodes, and it is my favorite of the bunch. I loved how it derailed into a cheesy 90's style car chase...I just found it all in all quite refreshing for the show.
Haven't watched Smithereens yet.

Favorite eps; Hated in the Nation & Fifteen Million Merits! There's a handful I need to rewatch as I was not fully invested like Crocodile and White Christmas (did not really like either on first watch)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad