TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Wow, a 10 year old thread. The Leafs' Cup drought was a brief 47 years when this was written.

Last season was really good, especially the first 2 episodes. "Merry Christmas, one and all!"

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Season 7 confirmed for 2025.

6 new eps including a sequel to fan favorite: USS Callister, from season 4.

(No idea where the other thread went, search is absolute ass but it found this old one)
I liked this post because I'm stoked there's another season and because I completely agree that the search function is trash on here.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Are most of the episodes going to be Black Mirror or Red Mirror? I thought the Red Mirror stuff from the last season was boring.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I believe the horror themed ones from the last season said it was "Red Mirror" instead of "Black Mirror" in the opening credits?

Essentially it's anything with a supernatural bent to it, rather than a science fiction one.

But I'm there to see a take on the implications of technological advancements, so supernatural stories just don't really do it for me.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Essentially it's anything with a supernatural bent to it, rather than a science fiction one.

But I'm there to see a take on the implications of technological advancements, so supernatural stories just don't really do it for me.

I don't even remember seeing anything about red mirror in the latest season but I agree with you.

The show's DNA is about the grim repercussions of technological advancements, so when they started veering away from it, I began to question if I'm watching black mirror or something else.

It seems to me that they have been running out of ideas, sometimes it's even felt like I watched certain episodes before because they were themed so closely. In that sense. I'm not shocked that they have begun branching out from their original roots.

Reactions: Jovavic

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I don't even remember seeing anything about red mirror in the latest season but I agree with you.

The show's DNA is about the grim repercussions of technological advancements, so when they started veering away from it, I began to question if I'm watching black mirror or something else.

It seems to me that they have been running out of ideas, sometimes it's even felt like I watched certain episodes before because they were themed so closely. In that sense. I'm not shocked that they have begun branching out from their original roots.
Maybe they're running out of ideas because technology has been advancing so quickly that by the time the episodes are written there's already a real life example of it.

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Think they've run out of ideas since their first season on Netflix. Thats when recycled concepts really started.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How do they run out of ideas? They are basically all just short stories so you have an infinite amount of material.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Maybe they should dive back into The Ricky Gervais show. They already stole a few ideas from Karl Pilkington, I'm sure he's got a few more in there they could adapt. I was floored when I saw the Black Mirror episodes that mirrored Karl's rantings so clearly lol.

Seriously though, it's not hard for me to imagine that it's hard to come up with good ideas. Some of the other episodes felt so cutting edge and unique it's hard to generate something that really feels special like some of those earlier episodes 15 Million Merits, San Junipero, Hang the DJ, Entire History... etc.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Maybe they should dive back into The Ricky Gervais show. They already stole a few ideas from Karl Pilkington, I'm sure he's got a few more in there they could adapt. I was floored when I saw the Black Mirror episodes that mirrored Karl's rantings so clearly lol.

Seriously though, it's not hard for me to imagine that it's hard to come up with good ideas. Some of the other episodes felt so cutting edge and unique it's hard to generate something that really feels special like some of those earlier episodes 15 Million Merits, San Junipero, Hang the DJ, Entire History... etc.
Or maybe let new writers write some episodes. Its funny, I watched the entire history of you way back when there were still only 2 seasons of Black Mirror. Till this day it is still my favourite black mirror episode, and I don't think that will change.

I ended up loving the show succession. And something that I found out while Succession was airing was that Jesse Armstrong actually wrote The Entire History of You episode... I don't think its coincidence that I ended up liking both of these pieces by him so much.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
White Christmas, Shut Up and Dance, White Bear are my favs. Give me that dark stuff with twists. Didn't watch the most recent season because season 5 was so boring for me.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
White Christmas, Shut Up and Dance, White Bear are my favs. Give me that dark stuff with twists. Didn't watch the most recent season because season 5 was so boring for me.
I liked Shut up and Dance, alright but before black mirror was a thing I had seen a movie called “13 Sins” that came out in 2014 which was basically the same exact premise.

Season 6 was hit or miss, but if you like the dark twists, I’d definitely recommend episode 3 “Beyond the Sea”. Very dark, one of my favorites overall. Plus Aaron Paul was incredible.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I liked Shut up and Dance, alright but before black mirror was a thing I had seen a movie called “13 Sins” that came out in 2014 which was basically the same exact premise.

Season 6 was hit or miss, but if you like the dark twists, I’d definitely recommend episode 3 “Beyond the Sea”. Very dark, one of my favorites overall. Plus Aaron Paul was incredible.

Beyond the Sea was excellent. I also really liked Joan is Awful (though there's a deep split of opinion on that one). Loch Henry was ok... not so much a question of technology as journalistic ethics. The other two episodes I didn't enjoy.

There aren't many episodes from earlier seasons that I disliked. The National Anthem and Metalhead for sure. Shut Up and Dance and Smithereens I could do without, but are tolerable. The rest of them I enjoyed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad