TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Wiki here

Black Mirror is a British television anthology series created by Charlie Brooker that shows the dark side of life and technology. The series is produced by Zeppotron for Endemol. Regarding the programme's content and structure, Brooker noted, "each episode has a different cast, a different setting, even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy."[1]

It's got two seasons so far. Three episodes that span from 40 minutes to a bit over an hour from what I can tell. Both season on instant streaming for Netflix.

It's in the mold of 'The Twilight Zone'

I've only watched two of the episodes so far. The first episode is pretty out there, but the 2nd episode absolutely broke me. As a huge fan of Dystopian societies, '15 Million Merits' is one of the best and most gut-wrenching portrayals I've ever seen.

Was hoping to find some good conversation about that episode here, and was upset to see there was no thread yet.

Anyone else been watching?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Through episode 4 right now.

People, this is good TV. Check it out, you won't be disappointed you did.

(I just want more people to talk about this with :( )

JMcLeaf

Watched all the episodes a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed them overall. Fifteen Million Merits was probably my favourite episode. White Bear was pretty intense.

Looking forward to the Christmas special.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here is the trailer for the Christmas special.

John Hamm! One of my favorite actors for sure. That looks really great. Going to have to find a way to watch that before it gets to Netflix.

Watched all the episodes a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed them overall. Fifteen Million Merits was probably my favourite episode. White Bear was pretty intense.

Looking forward to the Christmas special.

Just finished White Bear this morning. Very intense, as you said. Didn't see that twist coming at all.

Agree, on Fifteen Million Merits being my favorite as well. Entire History of You and Be Right Back are close seconds, mostly because of how gut-wrenching their endings are; especially Be Right Back (spoiler below)

[spoil] He's just in there. In the attic. All the time. Living above them. Not moving or making a sound [/spoil]

So eerie.

Last edited:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I have been wanting to watch this for years, so glad I finally can. I've only watched the first season, but "Fifteen Million Merits" and "Entire History of You" are both some of the greatest, most haunting things ever. Gonna watch the other 3 over the weekend.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I love this show. Its so irritating that I can't get anyone I know to watch this unless I physically sit down with them and guilt them into watching it (they end up loving it though). Something about "British anthology" turns people here off.

JMcLeaf

I'd probably rank them: 1)Fifteen Million Merits 2)Be Right Back 3)White Bear 4)The Entire History of You 5)The National Anthem 6)Waldo

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Not a lot of love for 'Waldo'. Only episode I have left. Will probably get to it at some point this weekend.

As of now:

1) Fifteen Million Merits 2) The Entire History of You 3) Be Right Back 4) White Bear 5) The National Anthem

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Not a lot of love for 'Waldo'. Only episode I have left. Will probably get to it at some point this weekend.

As of now:

1) Fifteen Million Merits 2) The Entire History of You 3) Be Right Back 4) White Bear 5) The National Anthem
Without counting Waldo, this is my same order. White Bear was a twist and a half at the end.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What's a good first episode to watch that isn't too heavy or creepy (wanna watch with my friend).

Through the first five episodes, I can honestly say, none.

Ep 1 - Heavy. Not creepy, but plain weird.
Ep 2 - Heavy, eerie, hard-hitting, gut-wrenching
Ep 3 - Heavy, gut-wrenching
Ep 4 - Heavy, eerie
Ep 5 - Creepy. Thriller. Great ending.
Ep 6 - __________

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've only caught the first couple episodes, but I'm liking it so far. It'll give me something good to watch this weekend after the Devils lose again.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just finished 'Waldo'.

Hm.

I get the point it was trying to make, just kind of missed the mark for me. In a tie for my least favorite episode along with 'The National Anthem' :dunno:

The other four episodes are just so above and beyond what episodes 1 and 6 were. Just me, though.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I had never heard of this before but based off the reaction in this thread I'm gonna have to download and watch the six eppys tonight. Sounds like excellent appealing television.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Well, I think White Christmas suffered a bit from being a feature-length episode. Felt like a few ideas not really fully fleshed out or able to be fully fleshed out thrown together for the one thing. I've no idea if anyone will show up to offer any opinions of their own for a while at least though so I'll leave it at that :P

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well, I think White Christmas suffered a bit from being a feature-length episode. Felt like a few ideas not really fully fleshed out or able to be fully fleshed out thrown together for the one thing. I've no idea if anyone will show up to offer any opinions of their own for a while at least though so I'll leave it at that :P

How can I watch this before it gets to Netflix and I can't download it?

Conundrum :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad