TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Is this show ever addictive, already finished the 3 episodes. Good thing I’m off today. :laugh:

The video game one was particularly awkward to watch at times, didn’t think the episode would go that way at all when it started lmao. Black Mirror at its finest!

Solid albeit short season, I hope you guys enjoy it too!

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
gonna start soon and watch all of them back to back. thoughts to come :D

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Love this show. Finished 2 of 3 of the new season so far. Andrew Scott is one of the most underrated actors of this generation, IMO. That 2nd episode is not all that unique or surprising but damn if Scott doesn't just absolutely nail it to make it work.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Striking Vipers - 4/10
Predictable story saved by a couple swerves and good performances

Smithereens - 7/10
Good story but underwhelming by Black Mirror standards. elevated by an outstanding performance by Andrew Scott

Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too - 6/10
The most "Black Mirror-ey" of the three, I liked it more than I expected.

Overview 5-6/10
Good performances saved what is a really disappointing Black Mirror season which did little to innovate and push the envelope like the seasons that came before.

will post spoilery thoughts after some reflection

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too

So I watched this one first bc I found it to be most intriguing. I work with teens so the whole initial concept hit home for me because I know a lot of kids just like Rachel. Kids these days deal with the social pressures of growing up by escaping into fantasies fueled by the youtubers and influencers they have come to idolize. While the tech isnt real, the idea of the Ashley Too doll is.

I really liked how it started and how they compared Rachel and Ashley...both on opposite sides of this hollow fame yet both living unhappy lives. The episode had a lot of potential and kind of went a weird direction.

In the end, I was disappointed on where it went. It started out very black mirror like but abandoned the main idea and just became a story with no real message or consequences.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

So I watched this one first bc I found it to be most intriguing. I work with teens so the whole initial concept hit home for me because I know a lot of kids just like Rachel. Kids these days deal with the social pressures of growing up by escaping into fantasies fueled by the youtubers and influencers they have come to idolize. While the tech isnt real, the idea of the Ashley Too doll is.

I really liked how it started and how they compared Rachel and Ashley...both on opposite sides of this hollow fame yet both living unhappy lives. The episode had a lot of potential and kind of went a weird direction.

In the end, I was disappointed on where it went. It started out very black mirror like but abandoned the main idea and just became a story with no real message or consequences.

I agree completely. The set up in the first half hour is excellent and then it just turns into a crappy short story. At least all the NIN songs were a nice touch

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I will preface this by saying that I find Black Mirror to be extremely overrated. There are so many anthology shows over the last several decades that are much better. That being said, there are some really good episodes and I do like the show. My biggest complaint about the show is that there are a handful of great episodes, a handful of decent ones, and a whole lot of filler junk.

Now with that out of the way, season five is garbage. I just finished watching all three episodes back to back to back.

Striking Vipers is just awkward and not in a Black Mirror good kind of way. I just wasn't feeling it at all and it's not because of the content. I don't want to spoil so I will leave it at that.

Smithereens was the only episode of the three that was any good. The problem with this episode though is that it was extremely predictable.

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley too was complete and total nonsense. It started off half way decent and then just meandered it's way into ridiculousness and stupidity.

Last thing I will say is it was also stupid as hell to hype up ''season 5'' of Black Mirror and do so with a whopping three episodes. In no way shape or form can three 55 minute episodes be considered a season of a television show.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

I couldn't agree more. I made my post before reading your spoiler review and basically said the same thing. I didn't think it was great but it started off with some potential and then just meandered in several different directions until it became a silly mess with nothing deeper or good to offer. One of the worst out of all the Black Mirror episodes.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Is this really still on basic cable or whatever in the UK (Channel 4?). I believe they lost the rights years ago... maybe a thread title change?

Anyway, for the guy yapping about just 3 eps...we have an interactive movie a few months ago which tied into the budget, and the first season was just 3 eps too. I expect all three of these eps to be fantastic.
Think again

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I've only watched the first 2 episodes.

Was not a fan of striking vipers really.

Smithereens felt like the OG Black mirror so that was nice for a change.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Spoilerey thoughts

Striking Vipers
So I expected this to be "guy cheats on wife but its in a cookie so is it really cheating" and yeah it pretty much was, but the gay swerve added alot I think. kept it from being TOTALLY bland. I think theres alot of commentary on social relationships that probably is lost on me but might speak to someone else. as a Black Mirror episode, it was disappointing but has a little to redeem it

Smithereen
f***ing amazing performance by Andrew Scott, and a nicely paced tense story, completely let down by a GARBAGE ending. seriously, all he wanted to speak to Bauer for was to admit he caused the accident (and the explanation might imply that its survivors guilt, it still may have been the drunk drivers fault from what we're told). It was basically a 60 minute dont text and drive PSA with nothing to really shock you. compare it to endings like White Christmas or White Bear or Shut Up and Dance, the ending should be something more substantial to tie the episode up

Rachel Jack and Ashley Too
ill echo the sentiments that came before. what a great concept with a ton of potential, that just completely goes to shit in the third act. Unlike Smithereen where the ending is unsatisfying, here the final act is just generic quasi-thriller rubbish that fails to deliver on what could have been a classic BM episode

Overall
A really poor BM season by previous standards. Just doesnt push the envelope at all, and has none of the gut wrenching endings you come to expect from this show. Im really surprised Charlie Brooker wrote these episodes cause it feels like someone else completely tried to do BM and failed. what a shame

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
guess its time to update the ol' rankings

White Christmas
USS Callister
Playtest
White Bear
Shut Up and Dance
Black Museum
15 Million Merits
Entire History of You
Nosedive
National Anthem
Smithereen
Be Right Back
Men Against Fire
San Junipero
Waldo Moment
Hang the DJ
Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too
Crocodile
Striking Vipers
Metalhead
Arkangel

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
I haven't watched them yet, but it's unfortunate to see that these three were pretty disappointing. The show seems to have gone downhill since coming to Netflix.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I really think the ship has sailed for Black Mirror. IMO, the quality has dropped each season since Netflix took over. The first 2 seasons were outstanding TV, I can't really see it ever getting back to that level.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've only seen episode 1 of season 1... and that was a year or two ago...

With that said, I'm gonna give this show another shot... some of the episodes look pretty solid/interesting, but that first episode was just too disturbing for me at the time... :laugh:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I've only seen episode 1 of season 1... and that was a year or two ago...

With that said, I'm gonna give this show another shot... some of the episodes look pretty solid/interesting, but that first episode was just too disturbing for me at the time... :laugh:

That first episode was trash. It gets much better then that. I like the show but not every episode.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Striking Vipers
I actually really liked this one...maybe because it was the most black mirror of the three. It took a futuristic technology being used in an extreme/bizarre situation...but not totally unbelievable because it mirrors a real aspect of our ever changing relationship with technology. It was uncomfortable on a few levels...the actual plot and the real feel...and that is what BM does best.

I think a lot of people will focus on the gay aspect of the episode...but really it was just a general statement about what dating is like in the modern world and how easy this to form relationships through a screen.

I dont think this was top tier...but it was a solid episode.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad