TV: Black Mirror (Channel4(UK)/Netflix)

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I really liked Smithereens. It was kind of like a hybrid of the movie Collateral and the BM episode The National Anthem. Maybe not the most original plot and some did not like the 'twist' but I loved the build up and the point that it made.

It has not been a well reviewed season but 2 of the 3 were solid episodes by my count.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I finally got around to watching the first episode of this show after hearing so much about it(the show not episode) and boy was I disappointed. It wasn't thought provoking or the slightest bit realistic but also not a single element of science fiction in it. I'm hoping episode 2 is a lot better.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I finally got around to watching the first episode of this show after hearing so much about it(the show not episode) and boy was I disappointed. It wasn't thought provoking or the slightest bit realistic but also not a single element of science fiction in it. I'm hoping episode 2 is a lot better.

The second episode of the series ( 15 Million Merits ) is what got me hooked on the show. I've probably watched it more than any other episode.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The second episode of the series ( 15 Million Merits ) is what got me hooked on the show. I've probably watched it more than any other episode.
Yep, it was really great. I'm very keen to watch the rest of the series.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yep, it was really great. I'm very keen to watch the rest of the series.

Enjoy the ride! I like how each episode takes it's time to unfold, with the payoff being well worth the journey in more cases than not. I've always wanted to wipe my memory somehow so I can rewatch the show over again for the first time. Have fun!

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I love the first episode but the rest of the series is very, very different from it. 1st one basically just works as a social commentary in a modern day setting whereas most of the rest are heavily focused on the darker or more unsettling aspects of technology.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Honestly, I LOVE Black Mirror and i can say the first episode was one of my least favorites. It gets MUCH better.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Honestly, I LOVE Black Mirror and i can say the first episode was one of my least favorites. It gets MUCH better.
When suggesting the show I actually recommend that people DON'T start on Season 1 Episode 1. It's not an episodic show, so I usually just tell people to watch any other episode (Besides Black Museum)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
When suggesting the show I actually recommend that people DON'T start on Season 1 Episode 1. It's not an episodic show, so I usually just tell people to watch any other episode (Besides Black Museum)
Same here. I almost gave up on the show after that first ep, thankfully I didn't.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Same here. I almost gave up on the show after that first ep, thankfully I didn't.
I actually did give up on it for a long time. I wasn't crazy about Ep1, and fell asleep halfway through 15 Million Merits, never picked it back up for a long time until my GF and I started watching through it right around when season 4 was released and we're both obsessed (with the series and Bandersnatch).

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I love the first episode but the rest of the series is very, very different from it. 1st one basically just works as a social commentary in a modern day setting whereas most of the rest are heavily focused on the darker or more unsettling aspects of technology.

The first episode really grew on me over time. It doesn't hit quite as hard as some of the other episodes, but i thought it was a nice prelude to the greatness of the show. With The National Anthem, it showed just how powerful media and public opinion can be to ruin someone's life in the name of what everyone thinks is right. It's an expose on hive mind mentality and the public's appetite for disturbing tv. I actually felt after re-watching it, i noticed how the public seems to be less concerned about saving the life and more enthralled with getting the chance to watch a politician f*** a pig.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I also found the first episode to be awful, but I still went forward and enjoyed the rest of the series in general. When I look back, episode one just feels misplaced as if it belonged to a completely different show.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Which Episode was this crushed glass smiley from?

AAAABUb8y4ccuEVy561Cyng-U7DYPnvBSEtASh7jutgnPDpIpjLmnSW3ke7syU6UCS9XFi9WbJ3PDfMRN3qwuzCP6iTlMTnB.jpg

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was just thinking about Black Mirror and how great it is for the first time in a long time a couple hours ago then I come in here and coincidentally the threads bumped for the first time in nearly 2 years.

Anyways, great show that highly recommend to anyone. Just don't start with the first episode. Some of my favourite episodes are Hated in the Nation, White Christmas, USS Callister, White Bear, San Junipero, Smithereens and The Entire History of You but really they're all great other than episode 1 imo.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I was just thinking about Black Mirror and how great it is for the first time in a long time a couple hours ago then I come in here and coincidentally the threads bumped for the first time in nearly 2 years.

Anyways, great show that highly recommend to anyone. Just don't start with the first episode. Some of my favourite episodes are Hated in the Nation, White Christmas, USS Callister, White Bear, San Junipero, Smithereens and The Entire History of You but really they're all great other than episode 1 imo.

I really liked the first episode and thought it was a good table setter for what the rest of the series was about.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
This show died ever since Netflix got their hands on it. Only been down hill since.

Luckily severance came out this year to fill the technology dystopian void.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad