Confirmed with Link: Bjugstad, McCann to PIT for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd ('19) & two 4th rounders (both '19)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think neither Brassard and Sheahan will be traded if Brass meshes well with e.g. Troch and Hoff, and Sheahan is good on the PK and isn't involved in allowing a lot of goals. The Cats prospect pool is already is pretty good shape so additional picks aren't really needed unless the scouting staff has identified several diamonds in the rough in the upcoming draft.

Sheahan might get another one year deal with a similar price tag with the Cats when the bottom6 is in a constant limbo.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Lol. I liked Bjugstad. And McCann was alright. But I wouldn't describe either of them as tough!
Cmon, sure they were! Have you forgotten this? :D

I mean that was kinda adorable, like a little kitty screeching at a big annoyed thing twice its size. "Don't bully my bro you evil brute! Please don't hurt me..." Loved the standing up for a teammate but yikes.

Reactions: Aksu

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think we can all agree we *need*

1) 1A goalie
2) minimum top 4 D, preferably RHD

Shouldn’t we be acquiring those pieces before Panarin? They’re not going to come cheap either.

I like Panarin as much as anyone. And would like him on this team but we’d be adding to a postion of strength.

I guess it’s possible we can do all three (cap space is there) and the market may not allow us to get the three above with any prioritization. Bob on a long term contract worries me.

I’d also like a defensively responsible bottom 6 center to take some 5 on 5 matchup minutes away from Barkov.

Panarin is a franchise, game changing player in his prime. He improves the team by a mile and brings excitement around the team.

If you can land him you should.

It is/was the same with Tavares last year.

Reactions: Multigrain and Haj

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Panarin is a franchise, game changing player in his prime. He improves the team by a mile and brings excitement around the team.

Completely agree. Even if he is a luxury, given our current crop of forwards, adding him to the mix gives the Panthers probably the most lethal top nine in the league.

Panarin - Barky - Daddy
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Vatrano
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Tippett
Sceviour - Sheahan - Hawryluk (I know Sheahan is a UFA, but if the price is right, Id re-sign him)

That is just ridiculous. When you can put a 30g/60p player on your 3rd line, that is just problems waiting to happen for the opposition. Our PP would be even better as well. With Panarin, and possibly Bob, we might not be able to land a big name top 4 Dman cause of the cap space, but we should still be able to get a serviceable one, who would be an upgrade over Pysyk.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Still not sold on spending that much $$ on a goalie, at this point in time.

Signing Bob for 7/8 years would be a mistake, IMO. His presence would block the NHL development of both Monty and Bednard.

Once again, IMO, Dale needs to find a two year stop gap at goal unless he plans on a Lou/Reimer tandem until Monty is ready.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Completely agree. Even if he is a luxury, given our current crop of forwards, adding him to the mix gives the Panthers probably the most lethal top nine in the league.

Panarin - Barky - Daddy
Sceviour - Sheahan - Hawryluk (I know Sheahan is a UFA, but if the price is right, Id re-sign him)

That is just ridiculous. When you can put a 30g/60p player on your 3rd line, that is just problems waiting to happen for the opposition. Our PP would be even better as well. With Panarin, and possibly Bob, we might not be able to land a big name top 4 Dman cause of the cap space, but we should still be able to get a serviceable one, who would be an upgrade over Pysyk.

A lot can happen from here on out. The Cats after all got the best player on the Bjugs-trade in Brassard. If Brass-Troch-Hoff meshes well we might see Derick on some low risk deal back in the fold, who knows. Tippett really shouldn't be penciled on the starting roster if the Cats don't want to absorb the risk of him going through some learning period on how to defend against the pros. Rather have some pest/bruiser-type player on the 3rd line who can be sent to Springfield if need be.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Once again, IMO, Dale needs to find a two year stop gap at goal unless he plans on a Lou/Reimer tandem until Monty is ready.

If both Lu and Reimer go on posting some .920-.940 save%'s for the rest of the season, Dale might get cold feet on doing anything about the goat lending department.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Like I said, a very nice to have. If we have a choice between a true #1 in net or Panarin, I’m taking the goalie.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Like I said, a very nice to have. If we have a choice between a true #1 in net or Panarin, I’m taking the goalie.
Same here.

If last night’s game is an indication, what we need as much or more than Panarin’s skill, is continued Brassard-like grit and effort. It can change the team’s soft culture, which would be way more valuable than Panarin’s accurate shot.

Besides, if getting Panarin means having to let Dadonov or Hoffman go, how much did we really gain? A little, maybe, but not enough.

——-

So, we have the cap space now to spend on FAs. Why should they have to be Bob and/or Pan? They don’t. Open space means open options. Time to be very smart for the TEAM’s sake.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Still not sold on spending that much $$ on a goalie, at this point in time.

Signing Bob for 7/8 years would be a mistake, IMO. His presence would block the NHL development of both Monty and Bednard.

It's a compromise that just has to be made imo. No way you ride this Lou&Reims tandem next year and Monty/Bednard can't be even in the discussion if they want to be serious about competing.

Though I don't think Bob will get 7/8 years since he's 31 starting next year. I could see five years happening

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I wouldn't. Panarin types shouldn't hit the market and when they do you get him and figure out things later. He'd be your 2nd best player, there's not a Panarin level goalie available.

So you sign Panarin and do whatever you can to get the best goalie after him.

You put Hoffman on the market for example and get extra assets, go after a goalie via trade with assets or trade Hoffman for goalie straight up or sign a goalie.

Or you sign both Panarin+ Bob and simply trade Hoffman for cap space+ assets.

Panarin - Barky - Daddy

Every team given the chance would love to add a franchie player in their prime. Gm's are always looking for game changers, Panarin is one.

Panarin+ better goalie than either of the current 2 make Florida a helluva team.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't. Panarin types shouldn't hit the market and when they do you get him and figure out things later. He'd be your 2nd best player.

You put Hoffman on the market for example and get extra assets, go after a goalie via trade with assets or trade Hoffman for goalie straight up or sign a goalie.

Or you sign both Panarin+ Bob and simply trade Hoffman for cap space+ assets.

OK. So put the Panthers' 2nd best player on the market in order to get a new 2nd best player who'd actually be a slight downgrade when considering the overall impact on the ice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
OK. So put the Panthers' 2nd best player on the market in order to get a new 2nd best player who'd actually be a slight downgrade when considering the overall impact on the ice.

Panarin>> Hoffman, and you can get Panarin signed in his midd prime, Panarin on his next contract >>> Hoffman on his next contract.

Sign Panarin for free and trade Hoffman/assets for better goalie= better Florida team.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
It's a compromise that just has to be made imo. No way you ride this Lou&Reims tandem next year and Monty/Bednard can't be even in the discussion if they want to be serious about competing.

Though I don't think Bob will get 7/8 years since he's 31 starting next year. I could see five years happening

Who knows some crazy GM's might give Bob 7/8. It seems UFA's get overpaid and Dale has a history of overpaying.

I would rather see a 2/3 year stopgap with Lou playing 30 or so games per year.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Saying to take caution with Bob is fine. I would argue that the past 5 years should weigh more than a down season from a player that wants out but I get it.

But then to compare Reimer and a 2nd for Bob to Hall for Larsson? Insane. James Reimer is trash lol.
The comparison is trash sure, but Reimer hasn't looked like trash lately...

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Who knows some crazy GM's might give Bob 7/8. It seems UFA's get overpaid and Dale has a history of overpaying.

I would rather see a 2/3 year stopgap with Lou playing 30 or so games per year.
Whose side are you on! Read the back of my shirt next game!!!:skeptic:

#TEAMSAMMY

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Regarding Bobrovsky, there is a very limited market for him. It is literally Florida and Philly, who I doubt makes this since they got Hart. Even before this trade I always thought there was a pretty good chance he was coming here. This trade allowed Florida to bring in a 2nd top tier player.

And for anyone nervous the only other option is Varlamov. I would definitely prefer Bob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad