Confirmed with Link: Bjugstad, McCann to PIT for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd ('19) & two 4th rounders (both '19)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Panarin>> Hoffman, and you can get Panarin signed in his midd prime, Panarin on his next contract >>> Hoffman on his next contract.

Sign Panarin for free and trade Hoffman/assets for better goalie= better Florida team.

But teams don't play this kind of "trade player for a pick, try to roll the dice on FA"-moneypuck (ok, maybe Melnyk/Dorion) when you have similar player with better defense in your hands. Panarin might end up somehow on the Cats' roster but the odds of Hoffman leaving via trade is nonexistent.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The comparison is trash sure, but Reimer hasn't looked like trash lately...

Reimer has actually been good lately. The problem is that Reimer was really bad previously. I like the guy, and when he's hot he's indeed pretty good, but the problem is that when he's cold, he's f***ing awful. And he's been cold way too much.

There's no way we can count on Reimer/Lu going into next season unless there's an additional talent infusion in the forward corps (which is already strong, IMO) and some way to eject Mike Matheson's contract into space. And even with a strong team in front of the net, I hate to say it, but I think Lu needs to hang 'em up.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Who knows some crazy GM's might give Bob 7/8. It seems UFA's get overpaid and Dale has a history of overpaying.

I would rather see a 2/3 year stopgap with Lou playing 30 or so games per year.

I think Lou is gone after this season. Reims is just too Jekyll & Hyde.

But yeah optimally a stop gap would be great but then you're settling for another mediocre option. The good ones won't get 2-3 year deals.

Also I really hope Monty makes it but it's time to stop placing bets on unproven players. Monty has to prove himself first before we can build anything around him, not the other way around.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Yeah, not looking at Monty for at least a couple years still. Let him become good (not just mediocre) in the AHL before we give him a look.

-ghoste

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm agreeing with you! No need to have Bob for 7/8, when Monty will be knocking on the door in 2/3.

Just don't want Dale doing anything dumb.
it was the anything over after Lu hangs em up that im bitchin aboat! 2 years is a year and a half too long Im sayin!

Carter Harts gettin his at a year younger!!

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
it was the anything over after Lu hangs em up that im *****in aboat! 2 years is a year and a half too long Im sayin!

Carter Harts gettin his at a year younger!!

I agree this/next year should be it for Lou but I was being realistic. I don't think he will retire after this season, maybe one more but you never know.

If he does retire Vancouver gets a pretty big cap hit.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
I see things somewhat differently than most. Great as Bread is, a LW is not a position of need. Second, Brassard can play center or forward, has a history with Hoffman and may be willing to be resigned to a reasonable contract. Assuming he works out on the second line, our third line next season could be Vatrano-Borgstrom-Tippet, which looks strong. Our needs are RD and goalie, which is likely where we will focus in the off season.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I agree this/next year should be it for Lou but I was being realistic. I don't think he will retire after this season, maybe one more but you never know.

If he does retire Vancouver gets a pretty big cap hit.
I know and I'm still fine with Lu being around for the next year or two. Still want it to be he and Monty splitting like he and Reimer

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Regarding Bobrovsky, there is a very limited market for him. It is literally Florida and Philly, who I doubt makes this since they got Hart. Even before this trade I always thought there was a pretty good chance he was coming here. This trade allowed Florida to bring in a 2nd top tier player.

And for anyone nervous the only other option is Varlamov. I would definitely prefer Bob.

What about nyi, chicago, det, and maybe even canes?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
We don’t have to deal Hoffman next season if we sign Panarin. Depending on what happens with Lou and Reimer, we could have as much as $29+ million in cap room. That would allow us to sign Panarin, get a goalie and Dman, as well as take care of our RFAs.

Panarin offsets the lose of one of Hoffman and Dadonov the following season. We’d still have them all for one run next season. And who knows, maybe they’ll take friendlier deals to stay together.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I see things somewhat differently than most. Great as Bread is, a LW is not a position of need. Second, Brassard can play center or forward, has a history with Hoffman and may be willing to be resigned to a reasonable contract. Assuming he works out on the second line, our third line next season could be Vatrano-Borgstrom-Tippet, which looks strong. Our needs are RD and goalie, which is likely where we will focus in the off season.

Signing Brassard would be a last resort type of deal. There are better options out there I’d rather go with. And we’d be leaning on the top two lines again, as the 3rd is too raw with a young Borgstrom and rookie Tippett.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We don’t have to deal Hoffman next season if we sign Panarin. Depending on what happens with Lou and Reimer, we could have as much as $29+ million in cap room. That would allow us to sign Panarin, get a goalie and Dman, as well as take care of our RFAs.
howd you get 29+? i count 16.241 including trading pysyk and reimer, add luongo its 20.774, with the 3.1 in space we presently have its 23.875. is the cap expected to increase about 5mil-6+?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Panthers are at 58 million. Buyout of Reimer gets them down to 55.5 million. Re-signing Jayce, Vatrano, Weegar, McCoshen, and Malgin would put them at about 64 million with 18 guys. Cap is gonna be about 82 million so the have 18 million to spend on 2 roster spots.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 10.16.22 AM.png

Without the following players (with the cap going up to say $82 million):

-Lou, Reimer, Pysyk: $34.6 million cap space
-Lou, Reimer: $31.9 million cap space
-Lou, Pysyk: $32.2 million cap space
-Reimer, Pysyk: $30.1 million cap space
-Reimer: $27.4 million cap space
-Lou: $28.5 million cap space

Just because the cap numbers are attainable, doesnt mean we will automatically get there.

-We are not going to trade Lou. Its either LTIR or retirement from him. Worst case scenario is, we keep him for a year as a backup, then he decides to retire.

-Pysyk can be traded IMO. I dont think that one is an issue.

-Reimer will be the issue. We have to find someone to take him on, without taking on another contract. Buying him out is another option. By doing so, this is what our cap hit would look like:

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 10.30.52 AM.png

The money will be there to land two big fish in free agency, re-sign who we want out of our RFAs, and add a piece on defense in free agency, or through a trade. If Tallon does this right, we should be set for the foreseeable future. Of course we will have to deal with Hoffman and Dadonov the season after next, but next season, we'd be all in.

Edit: Current projections have the cap going to $83 million. So add a million to those numbers up top.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
^What's your math here my friend because I don't see it. I don't think Reimer being traded is possible. I'm also assuming Lu comes back (obviously it would help if he retired but let's just assume he comes back and they have to buy out James.) I just read that the cap's actually gonna be 83 million, and Florida as stated, will be at 55.5 million after the Reimer buy-out, so according to you they'd have room after:

Panarin
Bobrovsky
Vatrano
Weegar
McCoshen or some other cheap depth d guy
Malgin
3rw (another forward is needed to make a 22 man roster)

That takes you right to the limit imo. Trading Pysyk just opens up another whole on D (granted you could improve on him)

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
^What's your math here my friend because I don't see it. I don't think Reimer being traded is possible. I'm also assuming Lu comes back (obviously it would help if he retired but let's just assume he comes back and they have to buy out James. I just read that the cap's actually gonna be 83 million, and Florida as stated, will be at 55.5 million after the Reimer buy-out, so according to you:

Panarin
Bobrovsky
Vatrano
Weegar
McCoshen or some other cheap depth d guy
Malgin
3rw (another forward is needed to make a 22 man roster)

That takes you right to the limit imo. Trading Pysyk just opens up another whole on D (granted you could improve on him)

My math is right there at the top.

-$83 million cap prediction

-With the prediction, we would be $24.5 million under the cap

-Lou is a $4.5 million cap hit
-Reimer is a $3.4 million cap hit
-Pysyk is a $2.7 million cap hit

Pick your option. With Lou alone we are at $29 million available. We can move Lou and Reimer, and be $31.9 million under, sign Bob, and have have Monty as his backup. Moves can be made to free up additional cap space. Trades can be made to bring in players we need. Not all our RFAs will be signed. A lot of things can happen to get us the players that we want/need.

Panarin - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Vatrano
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Tippett
Hawryluk - Sceviour - Malgin

Ekblad - Yandle
Matheson - _______
Weegar - McCoshen
Brown

_________
Montembeault

*Lou retires, Reimer bought out, Pysyk traded

24.5+2.4+2.7+4.5=34.1 cap space
9 for Panarin
12 for our RFAs
1 for Monty
1 for Tippett

Leaves us with over $11 million to fill two spots. That RFA money could be high as well, as we might not sign everyone. Again, trades can happen as well, so there are a lot of different ways we can go here.

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Panarin offsets the lose of one of Hoffman and Dadonov the following season. We’d still have them all for one run next season. And who knows, maybe they’ll take friendlier deals to stay together.

The problem isn't next season or even the season after in terms of salary cap. It's mainly the expansion draft and what happens when barkov/tro/huber are up for contract renewal.

The way I see it, if we think we can convince yandle to be exposed at expansion draft, then we can keep current team as is (with hoff/dads) and add panarin, dman, and goalie. We can't add a trouba type guy, but maybe someone in the $5M range, depends on what we do in goal. Go on a run for two years, then protect 10 forwards and 3 dman for expansion draft. Then when barkov/tro/huber come due in 2022/2023, we can trade hoff/dads and hope that they can be replaced by some younger guys stepping up like tippett and denisenko.

I put this together...

cap.png

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Nyi- Their goalie is probably going to win the Vezina or at least be top 3
Chi- rebuilding
Det-rebuilding
Car-makes a lot of sense actually but they never spend

I doubt Lehner wins playing only half the games. NYI still needs to solve goaltending in some way, maybe they keep going with Lehner/Greiss, but it's just as likely they go for Bob I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad