Confirmed with Link: Bjugstad, McCann to PIT for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd ('19) & two 4th rounders (both '19)

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
My questions is,

Forgive me ignorance, Is Panarin as good as the talk around him ? Would it be better to go after someone like

Karlsson, Varlamov ? I am guessing CO wont be letting him run anywhere....

But if defense is our biggest issue why not make a run at Karlsson him instead of Panarin

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
My questions is,

Forgive me ignorance, Is Panarin as good as the talk around him ? Would it be better to go after someone like

But if defense is our biggest issue why not make a run at Karlsson him instead of Panarin

Yes. He's a career ppg player over 300 games, that puts him in a pretty elite club. He was one of the best players in the khl and now one would have to say one of the best players in the nhl with his current body of work. Definitely a top 20 offensive player.

Reactions: klabob

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I doubt Lehner wins playing only half the games. NYI still needs to solve goaltending in some way, maybe they keep going with Lehner/Greiss, but it's just as likely they go for Bob I think.

They dont need Bob, they have Sorokin who is pretty much nhl ready, he's easily a top 5 goalie prospect, probably top 3. Lehner has been good for them and combined with greiss is good enough until Sorokin takes over.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
My questions is,

We all agree here that our biggest concern should be goalie and defense. But when a player like Panarin is available, you have to think about it and see if there's a way to make it work.

And yeah, he's pretty good at hockey :)

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
The problem isn't next season or even the season after in terms of salary cap. It's mainly the expansion draft and what happens when barkov/tro/huber are up for contract renewal.

The way I see it, if we think we can convince yandle to be exposed at expansion draft, then we can keep current team as is (with hoff/dads) and add panarin, dman, and goalie. We can't add a trouba type guy, but maybe someone in the $5M range, depends on what we do in goal. Go on a run for two years, then protect 10 forwards and 3 dman for expansion draft. Then when barkov/tro/huber come due in 2022/2023, we can trade hoff/dads and hope that they can be replaced by some younger guys stepping up like tippett and denisenko.

I put this together...

View attachment 182655

We can always offer our first rounder to Seattle to pick someone. We have a bunch of good prospects already, with a few more this coming draft, so we can afford to lose our first that year.

Reactions: pantherbot

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
My math is right there at the top.

-$83 million cap prediction

-With the prediction, we would be $24.5 million under the cap

-Lou is a $4.5 million cap hit
-Reimer is a $3.4 million cap hit
-Pysyk is a $2.7 million cap hit

Pick your option. With Lou alone we are at $29 million available. We can move Lou and Reimer, and be $31.9 million under, sign Bob, and have have Monty as his backup. Moves can be made to free up additional cap space. Trades can be made to bring in players we need. Not all our RFAs will be signed. A lot of things can happen to get us the players that we want/need.

Panarin - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Vatrano
Hoffman - Borgstrom - Tippett
Hawryluk - Sceviour - Malgin

Ekblad - Yandle
Matheson - _______
Weegar - McCoshen
Brown

_________
Montembeault

*Lou retires, Reimer bought out, Pysyk traded

24.5+2.4+2.7+4.5=34.1 cap space
9 for Panarin
12 for our RFAs
1 for Monty
1 for Tippett

Leaves us with over $11 million to fill two spots. That RFA money could be high as well, as we might not sign everyone. Again, trades can happen as well, so there are a lot of different ways we can go here.
Right but like I said I am basing my projection off Lu not retiring (he's making 5.3 not 4.5 btw). If he retires there's room, no argument.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Yes. He's a career ppg player over 300 games, that puts him in a pretty elite club. He was one of the best players in the khl and now one would have to say one of the best players in the nhl with his current body of work. Definitely a top 20 offensive player.

We all agree here that our biggest concern should be goalie and defense. But when a player like Panarin is available, you have to think about it and see if there's a way to make it work.

And yeah, he's pretty good at hockey :)

Gotcha, with that being said is it worth making more moves and make a run at Panarin, Karlsson and a goalie ? Or is that crazy talk

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
My questions is,

Imo, Karlsson will never come here because of Hoffman.

Panarin is one of the best forward in the NHL, if you can get him, you do it. I think the defense can be improved even if we add Panarin.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
They dont need Bob, they have Sorokin who is pretty much nhl ready, he's easily a top 5 goalie prospect, probably top 3. Lehner has been good for them and combined with greiss is good enough until Sorokin takes over.

Good point, totally forgot about Sorokin. I don't think he's coming next year, but maybe year after. So I guess NYI could go with their current combo until he comes over. So maybe the competition for Bob isn't that high, if that's the case, if we can get him to sign a 5-6 year deal, that would be ok with me.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
We can always offer our first rounder to Seattle to pick someone. We have a bunch of good prospects already, with a few more this coming draft, so we can afford to lose our first that year.

ya I agree, that could work out well for us

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Imo, Karlsson will never come here because of Hoffman.

Panarin is one of the best forward in the NHL, if you can get him, you do it. I think the defense can be improved even if we add Panarin.

Ahh thats right. I mean do we keep Hoffman ? or use him for trading since he is playing his best hockey yet... ( I hate to say it because I love Hoffman. )

Trade Hoffman and someone in return get Panarin, Karlsson, and goalie ?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Ahh thats right. I mean do we keep Hoffman ? or use him for trading since he is playing his best hockey yet... ( I hate to say it because I love Hoffman. )

Would he even want to come to an org that gave Hoffman the benefit of the doubt?
Imo, if we are trading Hoffman it's because a dman is coming back and we wouldn't need Karlsson then. Let's say we get Pesce for Hoffman+, then we don't need Karlsson.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

You seem to be high on Karlsson, but he will never sign here. Not because of Hoffman, but because we're the Florida Panthers.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
With Dale that means offering Vatrano for a 4th so that Seattle picks up Hoffman.

Oh cmon man, enough of the expansion crap already. We've heard it enough. Its done and over with. Besides, with Marchy and Smitty, we probably dont have Dadonov and Hoffman, who Id much rather prefer.

We dont need EK65 here, we need more of a defensive Dman.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
You seem to be high on Karlsson, but he will never sign here. Not because of Hoffman, but because we're the Florida Panthers.

High on him more because he seems like the best defense player available on the market and that what seems to be our biggest issue aside from goal tending.

You are 100% correct though he will never come here. Back to real world potential scenario's.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Derick Brassard opens up about failed trade, Penguins tenure

SUNRISE, Fla. — For the past five days, Derick Brassard has rolled out of bed, thrown open the blinds and noticed the sun shining outside his hotel room window. But the beautiful weather isn’t solely responsible for how much better Brassard feels since the Feb. 1 trade that sent him to the Florida Panthers.

After Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford finally and mercifully pulled the plug on the February 2018 blockbuster that netted Brassard — the culmination of a meeting the two men actually had weeks ago — the 31-year-old center said he feels like a new man.

“I’m never going to say I didn’t enjoy my time in Pittsburgh, but the last couple days I’ve been waking up, having fun and smiling,” Brassard told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette after Florida’s 3-2 loss Tuesday to the St. Louis Blues at BB&T Center. “Like [Tuesday], I made some plays that I probably haven’t made in over a year. I just feel free. … I don’t know. It’s a weird feeling.”
While Brassard appreciated his time in Pittsburgh and had nothing but positive things to say about the entire Penguins organization, he wasn’t shy about one thing: It was definitely time for both sides to move on.

“I think we both kind of agreed it wasn’t a good fit,” Brassard said.

When the trade occurred, the thought was that Brassard would thrive in Pittsburgh, seizing on advantageous matchups to produce 50 or 60 points per season and perhaps form a dynamic partnership with Phil Kessel.

That never happened. Instead, Brassard had just 12 goals and 23 points in 54 regular-season games — a 35-point pace over a full season. He had one goal and four points in 12 playoff contests last spring and never clicked with Kessel.

Brassard realizes that the trade is largely viewed as a flop in Pittsburgh, probably one of the worst in recent memory, but he has a rather simple explanation for why things never worked out.
“I feel like a lot of people on the outside, when they’re looking at the trade, they look at it like, ‘What was that?’ ” Brassard said. “For me, what I say to that is it wasn’t a good fit. That’s all.”
Why wasn’t it a good fit?

Brassard had zero problem going there, speaking openly and honestly about why he never lived up to his Big Game Brass reputation.

“The last five years I had the reputation of playing well in the playoffs,” Brassard said. “But my responsibilities in Ottawa and New York were playing in the top-six and playing 18-20 minutes a night. I’m someone who likes to play with emotion. I think the last five years I proved that. In Pittsburgh, I had a hard time getting involved in games and being myself.”
That’s why Rutherford approached Brassard three weeks ago with a question.

“[Rutherford] was asking me, ‘What’s wrong?’ I had a good talk with him,” Brassard said. “It wasn’t anything personal on both sides. I wasn’t myself.
“Their expectation was for me to be a 50- or 60-point guy. What third-line center has 50-60 points? You’re limited somewhere — ice time or whatever.”
In Florida, Brassard has actually been playing the wing on the second line and skated Tuesday with former Senators teammate Mike Hoffman and Upper St. Clair native Vince Trocheck, whom Brassard called “a young, hungry center who skates all over the place.”

The difference in Brassard’s game was evident. He was absolutely more engaged and looked much more like the player the Penguins thought they were getting, the guy who averaged 19 goals and 48 points over the five seasons preceding the trade and the guy with 55 points in 78 career postseason games before last season. Not the guy who finished the 2018 Eastern Conference semifinals on the fourth line or the one who looked discombobulated for much of his Penguins tenure.
“Playing behind [Sidney Crosby] and [Evgeni Malkin], that was hard and challenging for me, trying to stay sharp, be on the ice and have a role,” Brassard said. “I was playing center behind not only the two best players on the team but probably the two best players of my generation at my position. I feel like sometimes it was hard to get involved.”
‘It wasn’t Sully’s fault’

After Wednesday’s interview concluded and before Brassard began his postgame workout, he first wanted to know the score of the Penguins game. Upon learning they had lost, 4-0, to Carolina at home, Brassard shook his head in frustration.
As infuriating as the trade might’ve been for the Penguins and their fans, Brassard insisted there are no hard feelings. He’s equally as mad things never clicked.
“I have a ton of respect for everyone there,” Brassard said. “I wish it would’ve worked out. But I think it was a really good experience for me to see Sid, Geno, Tanger … all their best players, the way they operate every day.

“Also the way the staff prepares; it’s a first-class organization. They pay attention to details so much. I’m not surprised they’ve won so many times.”
Brassard said he and coach Mike Sullivan had plenty of conversations about the center’s ice time. Usually, Sullivan insisted he would do what he could to get Brassard more.
“I had a good relationship with Sully,” Brassard said, “Every time Sully and I had a conversation, he would always say, ‘I’ll find you more minutes.’
“But it wasn’t Sully’s fault. There was nothing else he could have done. There’s so much to manage on that team. It is what it is. It just wasn’t a good fit.”
‘Not an easy thing to do’

Brassard also found it difficult to penetrate the Penguins’ leadership structure, spearheaded by Crosby, Malkin and others.
He said it was too hard to come in as an outsider and feel part of the group given what the Penguins’ core had accomplished together. It was similar to what Trevor Daley experienced in Chicago a couple years ago before coming to Pittsburgh and thriving.

“Yes, they have good guys, they make you feel unbelievable, their organization, staff, everyone is unreal,” Brassard said. “But the fact that they have star power, they won, it’s the same core and everything … you’re coming in as a new guy, and it’s not an easy thing to do.”
Ultimately, though, it came down to the mental side of things.

Brassard wasn’t comfortable, and the Penguins weren’t getting what they wanted out of him. Which is why Brassard said he fully expected to get moved when he did.
And he’s thrilled to get a fresh start.

“A lot of times they’re going to say it’s between your ears as a hockey player or any athlete,” Brassard said. “The pressure that I had was coming in from a trade, and that expectation was real high.
“I still consider myself an offensive player. This year has been rough, but I feel like our team is really close to becoming a very good team. We have really good assets. I think it’ll give me a better chance to be myself again.”

So basically what the Cats got in the trade is scrap both with Sheahan and the picks, and a top6 50-60pts top6 forward who got a raw deal in Pitt when he was asked to provide to 50-60pts from 3rd line assignments and he just couldn't deliver on those requirements. It looks to me that his point production has peaked at circa 60pts per season but his fancy stats have improved over the same period (if you exclude the the incursion to Pitt from his stats). It will be interesting how Brass is able to mesh with Troch and Hoff because potentially he would be an addition to this team while Dadonov would work as a stopgap for Tippett.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

So basically what the Cats got in the trade is scrap both with Sheahan and the picks, and a top6 50-60pts top6 forward who got a raw deal in Pitt when he was asked to provide to 50-60pts from 3rd line assignments and he just couldn't deliver on those requirements. It looks to me that his point production has peaked at circa 60pts per season but his fancy stats have improved over the same period (if you exclude the the incursion to Pitt from his stats). It will be interesting how Brass is able to mesh with Troch and Hoff because potentially he would be an addition to this team while Dadonov would work as a stopgap for Tippett.
Great article on Brassard. I certainly hope they keep him. He gives the team a great new dimension, as well as a work ethic and effort every game, 60 minutes. A lot of young guys can learn from that.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->