BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The grind quest isn't that bad, I was already done 2/3 of it by the time I got it. Only bad step was the chest one and the revive one. For some people though they got a bug where it hadn't counted anything before so they had to do everything from the start.

And yea I hate the overheat when flying. I need to get stuff that increases it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The grind quest isn't that bad, I was already done 2/3 of it by the time I got it. Only bad step was the chest one and the revive one. For some people though they got a bug where it hadn't counted anything before so they had to do everything from the start.

And yea I hate the overheat when flying. I need to get stuff that increases it.

If that's a bug, pretty sure I got it. :laugh:

I'll keep pushing through it, but I found it to be such a buzzkill just when I was getting into the story and characters.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
If that's a bug, pretty sure I got it. :laugh:

I'll keep pushing through it, but I found it to be such a buzzkill just when I was getting into the story and characters.
Yea it's a bug unfortunately. The internet already freaked out about it before knowing that a lot of people didnt have the problem. I get why they added it into the game - to make people try our freeplay and explore some of the world and secrets but it was implemented at a bad time. I didn't mind it because it worked properly for me and I like exploring stuff in any game, but if I got the bug it would've sucked.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Yea it's a bug unfortunately. The internet already freaked out about it before knowing that a lot of people didnt have the problem. I get why they added it into the game - to make people try our freeplay and explore some of the world and secrets but it was implemented at a bad time. I didn't mind it because it worked properly for me and I like exploring stuff in any game, but if I got the bug it would've sucked.

Yeah, I get it too but it I also agree it was a really bad time to throw up a roadblock from a plot pacing point of view.

I had already tried out freeplay and had a bit of fun. Normally I like when they separate main missions from exploring and let you decide what to do. I feel like there was no need to intermingle those things...but I guess that's just one man's opinion.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Is there an easy way to get repairs for the trial of yvenia, or do you actually need to find downed players?

EDIT: Really, REALLY sick of this now. I've been trying to get the 3 repairs for hours.

EDIT Again: Finally finished it. I found the most reliable way to get repairs is to hang out to the west of Fort Tarsis and wait for the Sentinels to get downed. I was there a long, long time.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Watched like 5 minutes of gameplay and i for some reason thought i was watching a gameplay video of destiny instead of Anthem. Lol,

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not really interested in this. Would rather stick with Warframe.

However, that orchestral Crazy Train trailer is pretty legit.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
game sounds pretty awful from early reactions I'm reading. pity.

I think "awful" is a bit harsh. There's a lot of good IMO, but a few major design choice missteps.

The Good
-Visuals and sound (minus the stupid distortion of NPCs over the radio and character animations)
-The world and lore is actually fairly well fleshed out, and quite interesting so far
-I actually find myself really enjoying the main story
-The combat is fast, mobile, and fun. It's similar to Mass Effect Andromeda's combat (the best part of that game IMO), but more polished.
-The flight

The Middle Ground
-I actually really like the main characters, but dialogue is a bit...off. Like they are stuck in comedy mode
-The matchmaking and co-op multiplayer is well done, but in freeplay mode some quests actually suffer from having friends around (some quest conditions only count for one player - i.e. the one that gets the kill).

The Bad
-Quest design is quite repetitive
-The menus

The Ugly
-The stupid, stupid restrictions on the good stuff (Unnecessary restrictions on flight in freeplay mode, grind walls that prevent you from moving forward in the main story)
-The loading screens. So many, and very few of them are interesting. There's even a damn loading screen just to change your loadout.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
The loading screen is a fair critique. I've had limited exposure as my computer wasn't working until Sunday afternoon but I was able to run a brief test of the opening missions and I did like what I saw so far. Takes a while just to load (and this is with updated hardware and all), then you go through opening sequence, then it takes more time to load after "3 years later" :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Here's Everything In Anthem's Massive 'Day One' Patch, Along With Instant Hotfixes

Some key snippets:
Improved loading times(and fixed more of the 95% load bugs)
Tombs quest will now "open" up at level 3 so your progress will start then (also chest openings will now count for all present squad members, not just the guy opening it).

Good to hear. Takes a chunk out of my two major criticisms.

I still think even including the tombs quest as a requirement to progress the main story line is a bad choice, but hey.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The loading times arent that bad but I'm on an ssd, it's the number of loading screens that are annoying. My brother is on a HDD and it takes him way longer to load in. I couldn't imagine how bad it is on base consoles.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The loading times arent that bad but I'm on an ssd, it's the number of loading screens that are annoying. My brother is on a HDD and it takes him way longer to load in. I couldn't imagine how bad it is on base consoles.

Yeah, I do wonder about this. I'm also on an SSD and find them long. I can only imagine on an HDD.

But you are correct. The frequency of loading screens is quite annoying.

I chuckle sadly every time I go to change my loadout. :laugh:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
game sounds pretty awful from early reactions I'm reading. pity.
Seems to be a lot of just plain mediocre reviews. Game looks good, but the story stinks, dialogue stinks, gameplay is kind of average/nothing special. If this game fails (which I think word of mouth will kill it from day 1), I'd expect we'll be seeing the end of Bioware short of EA taking one last shot on a new Dragon Age game.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Seems to be a lot of just plain mediocre reviews. Game looks good, but the story stinks, dialogue stinks, gameplay is kind of average/nothing special. If this game fails (which I think word of mouth will kill it from day 1), I'd expect we'll be seeing the end of Bioware short of EA taking one last shot on a new Dragon Age game.

Wish Disney would take a gamble with them on a new Knights of the Old Republic single player RPG.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I think I've grown tired of these pay for a service games.

They should come with labels saying "Buy this game now and it will be good in a about a year!"

Battlefield 4 - a complete trash can until Dice LA got their hands on it
Destiny 1 - even though I loved year 1 to death, the game wasn't particularly any good until Taken King dropped a year later
Division - months after release the end game experience wasn't crap
Destiny 2 - a whole lot of meh until Forsaken
Anthem - ????

There are many more I'm sure.

I'm waiting for the day one patch and hoping it fixes my issues even though end game looks very bleak right now.

Sep 19, 2008
Games these days are rushed out the door and are crap.

It happened to

- Battlefront 2
- Destiny 2
- CoD WW2

I won't argue on the last 2 as I didn't play them but you really aren't giving Battlefront 2 a fair shake. Battlefront 2 was literally the example of the internet overreacting over loot boxes, which were removed from the game at launch. The way EA and Dice have fixed and repaired Battlefront 2 since that debacle has been nothing short of amazing. The consensus online is that they have really fixed the game which sounds unheard of when it first came out.

There's too much EA hate going on these days. Anthem is decent as is Apex. But muh EA evil corporate entity boycott :cry:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I won't argue on the last 2 as I didn't play them but you really aren't giving Battlefront 2 a fair shake. Battlefront 2 was literally the example of the internet overreacting over loot boxes, which were removed from the game at launch. The way EA and Dice have fixed and repaired Battlefront 2 since that debacle has been nothing short of amazing. The consensus online is that they have really fixed the game which sounds unheard of when it first came out.

There's too much EA hate going on these days. Anthem is decent as is Apex. But muh EA evil corporate entity boycott :cry:

While I agree with what you are saying about Battlefront II becoming a much better game, the very fact that they needed to repair it shows that it was rushed out the door.

The campaign was broken and just lacking in all aspects, the multiplayer servers were broken, and the lootboxes were not removed - only paying for them was (they were still the main progression method, and a terrible one at that with players who played longer having significant, objective advantages).

Anthem is pretty good so far, minus a few flaws. Stuck on another grind hurdle....

I'm a bit surprised to hear people saying the story is bad. I honestly think it's pretty good; fairly generic, but well presented and in a very interesting world. There are a few "interesting" characters, but I like the main cast so far.

It's the shit they throw in between story quests that drags me down.

Combat is pretty fun. It's one part Andromeda, one part Destiny with a bit of Dragon Age sprinkle tossed in (mostly in the Storm's abilities and the Interceptor's melee).

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

I had BF 2 at launch and it was a steaming pile of crap. The map designs were horrible, the game play was horrible, the removal of all the cool game modes from the first game was horrible, and the leveling was horrible.

The loot boxes were nothing compared to how much a steaming pile of crap this game was at launch into the first year.

Dice really f***ed this game up.

This is one of the worst games I’ve ever played.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
BF2 was a bad, full price game with pay-to-win microtransactions that were so obnoxious that the government got involved. There was no "overreaction" there.

EA is full marks for their reputation. The only developer doing anything worthwhile there is Respawn, but they hadn't actually been rewarded until Apex because EA kept trying to put out Titanfall within a week of Battlefield and CoD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad