BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

Sep 19, 2008
BF2 was a bad, full price game with pay-to-win microtransactions that were so obnoxious that the government got involved. There was no "overreaction" there.

EA is full marks for their reputation. The only developer doing anything worthwhile there is Respawn, but they hadn't actually been rewarded until Apex because EA kept trying to put out Titanfall within a week of Battlefield and CoD.
The overreacting is because everything about those lootboxes was resolved like a week after the game released :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm curious to know who at BioWare looked at the original Destiny and thought "you know what people like? Repetitive point defense missions!"

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The overreacting is because everything about those lootboxes was resolved like a week after the game released :laugh:

How quickly they were able to remove it serves only as a tacit admission that it never had to be there in the first place and that the only reason it was ever there was because they thought they could get away with screwing people. Fortunately most people were able to recognize that a billion dollar corporation was trying to take advantage of them and got mad about it. For once.

Also keep in mind that BF2 was the culmination of a year that saw EA rush Mass Effect to its death by pushing Andromeda out early to help fiscal earnings, and then kill the Visceral Star Wars project while claiming explicitly that it was because single player games don't make them enough money. Their reputation was in full effect all year and a bad Star Wars game with an exploitative business model was enough to make people snap.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Metacritic score isn’t looking great. I have nothing against BioWare, but I feel like they’re at a huge risk to get shuttered with these mediocre reviews.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Bioware knew the launch was going to be rough and that the game was unfinished and yet still pushed the 'play a week early' bundle hard. They took a giant shit on those people, so screw them. 'Day one patch', f*** off. That's insulting.

This disaster likely means no dragon age.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Bioware knew the launch was going to be rough and that the game was unfinished and yet still pushed the 'play a week early' bundle hard. They took a giant **** on those people, so screw them. 'Day one patch', **** off. That's insulting.

I think the rushing of the game and the “premium access” garbage can be placed on the shoulders of EA, not BioWare.

As for the actual design and programming behind the game, even if they were rushed to meet a deadline, that’s all on BioWare. Especially the lack of compelling writing that has been a mainstay in BioWare games since forever.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think the rushing of the game and the “premium access” garbage can be placed on the shoulders of EA, not BioWare.

As for the actual design and programming behind the game, even if they were rushed to meet a deadline, that’s all on BioWare. Especially the lack of compelling writing that has been a mainstay in BioWare games since forever.
Even with limited power I think the message they put out was bad, and still is bad.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's down to 61% on OpenCritic. For reference, Crackdown 3 is 63%.

Honestly, this might be Bioware's Fallout 76 in terms of reception and the company in question.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Bioware knew the launch was going to be rough and that the game was unfinished and yet still pushed the 'play a week early' bundle hard. They took a giant **** on those people, so screw them. 'Day one patch', **** off. That's insulting.

I really need to get back to playing through that.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Even with limited power I think the message they put out was bad, and still is bad.
Can’t disagree with you there. It sucks seeing these great companies get bought by EA because their products always take a massive hit in design and fun-factor. It’s only fair to spread out the blame evenly.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It's down to 61% on OpenCritic. For reference, Crackdown 3 is 63%.

Honestly, this might be Bioware's Fallout 76 in terms of reception and the company in question.

How on earth is this getting lower reviews than Crackdown? :laugh:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks so...dull.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I beat the campaign tonight.

Overall, I liked the story (until the end, because that was bad) and the combat, at its core, is pretty fun. At first.

Unfortunately, once the novelty of that combat wears off, you notice the inherent design flaws more and more (ridiculously repetitive mission design and enemies and just restriction after restriction from having fun like loading screens and grind walls). I have no idea who decided to put the loadout choice behind a loading screen, but I assume it was the same asshat who designed the "mind palace" menu system in Fable 3.

I was hoping that BioWare would try to set themselves apart from other looter shooters by delivering an RPG-style story and they did, but it's not nearly strong enough to carry the game. The dialogue choices are basically pointless and have almost zero effect on the game itself. The world itself has a lot of back story and a very interesting premise, but is just shallow after that.

The gameplay is a clone of Destiny 1 with some Mass Effect Andromeda sprinkled in, without any of the improvements made in Destiny 2.

At the end of the day, it's a decent co-op looter shooter with a decent story, but it ends up frustrating and repetitive. I made it through, but I won't play anymore. I was sick of the game before the end.

I can't recommend it, and it pains me. This wasn't exactly my worst fears come to life, but it was pretty darn close. BioWare was one of my all time favourite developers, and....they are gone. It's time I accept this.

I hold out hope for another Dragon Age, but that hope is barely there anymore.

TL;DR - It's not bad, but it's definitely not good. Disappointing, and I'm sad. Don't play it unless maybe you are really hurting for a co-op game and aren't interested in anything else coming out.

EDIT: Just for the record, you can basically play this solo (with the exception of the sections you are forced into free play)....although it constantly harasses you not to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafs at Knight

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
This might be the end of Bioware.

Shame EA didnt do the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS and let them go at a Star Wars RPG.

Like, you'd think that'd be in development the second EA secured the Star Wars license.

EA has absolutely failed across the board when it comes to Star Wars. How the hell have they only made two (not well received) games?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I beat the campaign tonight.

Overall, I liked the story (until the end, because that was bad) and the combat, at its core, is pretty fun. At first.

Unfortunately, once the novelty of that combat wears off, you notice the inherent design flaws more and more (ridiculously repetitive mission design and enemies and just restriction after restriction from having fun like loading screens and grind walls). I have no idea who decided to put the loadout choice behind a loading screen, but I assume it was the same asshat who designed the "mind palace" menu system in Fable 3.

I was hoping that BioWare would try to set themselves apart from other looter shooters by delivering an RPG-style story and they did, but it's not nearly strong enough to carry the game. The dialogue choices are basically pointless and have almost zero effect on the game itself. The world itself has a lot of back story and a very interesting premise, but is just shallow after that.

The gameplay is a clone of Destiny 1 with some Mass Effect Andromeda sprinkled in, without any of the improvements made in Destiny 2.

At the end of the day, it's a decent co-op looter shooter with a decent story, but it ends up frustrating and repetitive. I made it through, but I won't play anymore. I was sick of the game before the end.

I can't recommend it, and it pains me. This wasn't exactly my worst fears come to life, but it was pretty darn close. BioWare was one of my all time favourite developers, and....they are gone. It's time I accept this.

I hold out hope for another Dragon Age, but that hope is barely there anymore.

TL;DR - It's not bad, but it's definitely not good. Disappointing, and I'm sad. Don't play it.

EDIT: Just for the record, you can basically play this solo (with the exception of the sections you are forced into free play)....although it constantly harasses you not to.
Disappointing is the best way to describe it. It's just....a game. There's not really anything special about it other than the Javelins, which are cool, but that wears off pretty quickly. I don't know. It's fine. If you have Origin Access it's not the biggest waste of time or anything. I wouldn't pay $60 for it though. Wait until there is a sale or maybe they add some content down the road.

I think the biggest issue I have with this game is the constant loading screens. I've been playing a ton of Warframe, and while it doesn't have to load a map nearly as big as Anthem's, the loading screens are at most 10 seconds. Some of these loading screens last over a minute and you have several in one mission sometimes. It's such a first world problem, and I would definitely put up with it if I was loving the game, but I'm not. The loot isn't at all interesting. I think they made a mistake by not including armor parts as part of the loot. Everything you get just seems like a slight upgrade over what you already have. There are very few unique, interesting items that make the grind worth it. I'm glad it was part of Origin Access and I didn't have to pay $60 for this.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Disappointing is the best way to describe it. It's just....a game. There's not really anything special about it other than the Javelins, which are cool, but that wears off pretty quickly. I don't know. It's fine. If you have Origin Access it's not the biggest waste of time or anything. I wouldn't pay $60 for it though. Wait until there is a sale or maybe they add some content down the road.

I think the biggest issue I have with this game is the constant loading screens. I've been playing a ton of Warframe, and while it doesn't have to load a map nearly as big as Anthem's, the loading screens are at most 10 seconds. Some of these loading screens last over a minute and you have several in one mission sometimes. It's such a first world problem, and I would definitely put up with it if I was loving the game, but I'm not. The loot isn't at all interesting. I think they made a mistake by not including armor parts as part of the loot. Everything you get just seems like a slight upgrade over what you already have. There are very few unique, interesting items that make the grind worth it. I'm glad it was part of Origin Access and I didn't have to pay $60 for this.

Yeah, it's not bad if you drop $15 ($20 CAD) on a month of Access Premier and go at it. Definitely do not pay full retail for it IMO.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Tried out the 10-hour trial last night. I spent about 10 minutes in load screens, 10 minutes in the tutorial/Tarskis, and maybe 3-4 minutes watching really choppy cutscenes. Tried out the first mission and even on minimum settings I was in Powerpoint slideshow mode. I played the demo just fine, but the release seems less optimized than the demo was. My computer too old to handle this game unfortunately. Maybe it'll be something I buy discounted down the line for PS4.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly, while Fallout 76 was a broken mess, I did have fun with it with others. I probably put 40 to 50 hours minimum into that game.

Oh I'm not saying that it can't be fun. I just meant I think Anthem is mediocre and doesn't deserve the same level of criticism is all.

I see Fallout 76 as a public gongshow (that is still going on), but Anthem as more of a fart in the wind.

But hey, that's one random guy on the internet's opinion. I guess other people have an even lower opinion of the game than I. :laugh:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Tried out the 10-hour trial last night. I spent about 10 minutes in load screens, 10 minutes in the tutorial/Tarskis, and maybe 3-4 minutes watching really choppy cutscenes. Tried out the first mission and even on minimum settings I was in Powerpoint slideshow mode. I played the demo just fine, but the release seems less optimized than the demo was. My computer too old to handle this game unfortunately. Maybe it'll be something I buy discounted down the line for PS4.

This is an interesting point. My PC did chug harder with the release than the demo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad