BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OAjJqd2.png

VENTURE INTO DANGER
In this shared-world action-RPG, you and your friends are Freelancers—the bold few with the courage to leave civilization behind, explore a landscape of primeval beauty, and confront the dangers you find.

UNITE WITH FRIENDS
Up to four players band together to take on whatever perils you discover as a heroic team. As your friends support you in your journey, so do your victories and rewards benefit your friends.

RISE TO ANY CHALLENGE
Wield an arsenal of Javelin exosuits, each equipped with unique weapons and abilities. Customize them with gear you earn and craft, then use them to fly, leap, and climb through a contiguous open world.

CHART YOUR PATH
Experience massive, world-altering occurrences like Shaper Storms. Fight savage beasts and ruthless marauders. Delve forgotten ruins as you seek to defeat the forces plotting to conquer humanity.

CONTROL YOUR FATE
Your power grows with every step into the unknown. Whether plunder, revenge, or glory lures you onward, your choices will irrevocably change you—and the world around you.

This is where a lot of EA and BioWare's resources have been focused, possibly to the detriment of a game like Andromeda. Looks interesting.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Biowares weakness has always always been gameplay. So this probably won't be very good, especially with the new bioware Edmonton. Hope I'm wrong

FirstRoundExit

Apr 26, 2015
Really excited for this. Does have some similarities with Destiny, which I also liked. Just hope this has more of a story then Destiny did.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wonder if Casey Hudson originally wanted to make something else but EA was like "nah, make a Destiny clone" and that's why he left.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
All i thought of was Destiny when i seen it.

I'm going to be annoyed if this was the hunk of junk that took resources away from Andromeda.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What? That isn't true.

Yes it is. Mass effect 1 was largely considered bad shooting. ME2 was good and ME3 was "there's a lot of other better shooters". Andromeda was mixed. Dragon age isn't a shooter but inquisition was bad. 2 was good for a mage and I can't remember what people said about 1

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
All i thought of was Destiny when i seen it.

I'm going to be annoyed if this was the hunk of junk that took resources away from Andromeda.

Nothing took the resources away from andromeda that could have made it good. (Writing,design etc)

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
So, this is just a multiplayer game with lobbies right? It's not an MMO in the sense of World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, etc?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
So, this is just a multiplayer game with lobbies right? It's not an MMO in the sense of World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, etc?

We don't know if it's any of these, except that it's for sure not a MMO or fantasy. It probably like Destiny but I hope not.

Yes it is. Mass effect 1 was largely considered bad shooting. ME2 was good and ME3 was "there's a lot of other better shooters". Andromeda was mixed. Dragon age isn't a shooter but inquisition was bad. 2 was good for a mage and I can't remember what people said about 1

Mass Effect one is really the only applicable one here, and it certainly wasn't bad. I can't think of many if any better third person shooters than ME2 & 3. A lot better shooter mechanics than Uncharted or Last of Us and people don't think those games have bad gameplay. Andromeda'a problems weren't gameplay related. Same with Inquisition, which had issues with quests and being too long. We go back farther, NWN, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate, the issues aren't gameplay.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We don't know if it's any of these, except that it's for sure not a MMO or fantasy. It probably like Destiny but I hope not.

Mass Effect one is really the only applicable one here, and it certainly wasn't bad. I can't think of many if any better third person shooters than ME2 & 3. A lot better shooter mechanics than Uncharted or Last of Us and people don't think those games have bad gameplay. Andromeda'a problems weren't gameplay related. Same with Inquisition, which had issues with quests and being too long. We go back farther, NWN, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate, the issues aren't gameplay.

Tbh I liked me1 I'm just saying the majority didn't. But inquisition combat was wayyy to grindy from the start. And dragon age 2 was terrible unless your a Mage for the most part.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Tbh I liked me1 I'm just saying the majority didn't. But inquisition combat was wayyy to grindy from the start. And dragon age 2 was terrible unless your a Mage for the most part.

Inquisition was also a hundred hour game. If it wasn't that long it would've been better. To me, that's world design. Dragon Age 2's issues were different but also world design. The combat would have been good if we didn't get three waves of enemies coming out of nowhere every battle. It's part of why Legacy and Mark of the Assassin were great DLCs, they didn't do that and were actually challenging instead of grindy.

For me, Bioware usually gets gameplay right. I didn't mind ME1 either, but it was unpolished.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I wonder if Casey Hudson originally wanted to make something else but EA was like "nah, make a Destiny clone" and that's why he left.

I didn't even consider that, but you might be on to something there.

Dragon Age: Origins was probably the last great Bioware game. (Mass effect 2 was pretty good though) Combat was similar to Baldur's gate which was real time with pause. It was brutally difficult even on normal and hardcore RPG players loved it. And of course they dumbed the combat down with each iteration of the game. To this day it remains one of my favorite RPG's.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Dragon Age: Origins was probably the last great Bioware game. (Mass effect 2 was pretty good though) Combat was similar to Baldur's gate which was real time with pause. It was brutally difficult even on normal and hardcore RPG players loved it. And of course they dumbed the combat down with each iteration of the game. To this day it remains one of my favorite RPG's.

It wasn't that hard lol. On Nightmare it was brutally hard, but definitely not on normal. The hardest bosses, like the dragon or the arch demon, could be cheesed with ease.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 were the best games they made last generation.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It wasn't that hard lol. On Nightmare it was brutally hard, but definitely not on normal. The hardest bosses, like the dragon or the arch demon, could be cheesed with ease.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 were the best games they made last generation.

I had trouble with the arch demon first time. The second time and I think I did it three times were super easy. Flemeth was stupid hard at first I think I brought the wrong guys. Wonder if anthem will have any challenge no bioware shooter I can think of had any unless you played on a hard difficulty

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

"(Bob) Dylan" was supposed to be a marquee game that would be "talked about for all time" and looked to for inspiration by other studios.

Years ago, Casey Hudson, the executive producer on the original Mass Effect trilogy, founded a new team at BioWare Edmonton to begin work on an entirely new franchise. According to a recent report at Kotaku, the project was codenamed Dylan “because Hudson and team wanted to make the Bob Dylan of video games—one that would be referenced for years to come.”

A Destiny clone is distinctly not that, so I have to think something triggered in EA's brain that they needed a game in the "Destiny" genre even though it's not really a distinct thing. The Division also sold really well during this time.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If this has a good storyline, lore, and gameplay, it will be very promising.
My bet is that it's just a Destiny clone that focuses on itemization and grinding to get slightly better items that consequently have very little impact in the grand scheme of the game, like Destiny. DUMB.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This game looks really neat to me.

I've always thought the Destiny/The Division were cool concepts, but neither really hit the nail on the head from a campaign perspective (Destiny was still fun for a good while, while the Division was a snorefest IMO). I'm hoping BioWare can pull it off.

We'll see. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The game has potential, no doubt.

What they showed yesterday looked incredible.

But a lot can change from then and now.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The game has potential, no doubt.

What they showed yesterday looked incredible.

But a lot can change from then and now.
LOL Yeah... That's um....
Most games aren't No Mans Sky. Besides, this is a AAA publisher and production. Not a couple dudes in their basement.

I am saying this as someone who put over 100 hours into NMS and actually really liked the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad