BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Oh I'm not saying that it can't be fun. I just meant I think Anthem is mediocre and doesn't deserve the same level of criticism is all.

I see Fallout 76 as a public gongshow (that is still going on), but Anthem as more of a fart in the wind.

But hey, that's one random guy on the internet's opinion. I guess other people have an even lower opinion of the game than I. :laugh:

Considering Bioware is owned by EA, I see Anthem as a possible death knell of the company compared to Fallout 76 and Bethesda. And as someone who wanted FO76 to be good, Bethesda keeps making the game worse. Yes, you f***ing heard me. They keep updating it to be worse.

Anthem feels like a polished, yet hallow sphere. Looks nice at the surface and then you do something with it and you find out there's not much depth or much to come back to.
Fallout 76 feels like a cracked crystal ball. You can clearly see that there are a lot of problems, but if you're able to somehow get through them, there is more to it than just what shows on the surface. But Bethesda has basically been trying to make it shit colored as of late.

Sorry, getting off topic in this thread.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Considering Bioware is owned by EA, I see Anthem as a possible death knell of the company compared to Fallout 76 and Bethesda. And as someone who wanted FO76 to be good, Bethesda keeps making the game worse. Yes, you ****ing heard me. They keep updating it to be worse.

Anthem feels like a polished, yet hallow sphere. Looks nice at the surface and then you do something with it and you find out there's not much depth or much to come back to.
Fallout 76 feels like a cracked crystal ball. You can clearly see that there are a lot of problems, but if you're able to somehow get through them, there is more to it than just what shows on the surface. But Bethesda has basically been trying to make it **** colored as of late.

Sorry, getting off topic in this thread.

There's not a ton to discuss on topic, so I think it's okay. :laugh:

At this point I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better if EA did shut down BioWare. It might be better to rip the band-aid off rather than this slow death.

I'm going to go replay BioWare games from when they were good. That should cheer me up...

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
They should just do a remaster of Dragon Age: Origins. What a phenomenal game that was.

Remaster Origins, KOTOR and the ME trilogy. I'll pay.

At least a Command & Conquer remaster is already in the works. Hopefully this one actually sees the light of day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nizdizzle

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
As someone who missed the boat on the ME games, I’m very interested in giving them a shot if they were to be remastered. I was never a fan of the DA games, but I’ve gone back and replayed Baldur’s Gate a few times over the years.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Would it not be prudent to play them in order? I thought they had an interconnected story that changes based on actions in previous games, but if that’s not the case, then I could probably see myself starting off with ME2.

You can play 2 without necessarily playing the first one. You get the jist of the first one throughout the game.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Would it not be prudent to play them in order? I thought they had an interconnected story that changes based on actions in previous games, but if that’s not the case, then I could probably see myself starting off with ME2.

You are correct.

You can start with ME2, but I do think it's best played all the way through.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
You can play 2 without necessarily playing the first one. You get the jist of the first one throughout the game.

Thanks for the info. I’m admittedly a bit of a completionist, so I would likely start with ME1 and work my way through the series that way.

You are correct.

You can start with ME2, but I do think it's best played all the way through.

I’ll take your opinion on this as gospel since you have a ME character as your avatar.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I’ll take your opinion on this as gospel since you have a ME character as your avatar.

Excellent.

And if your opinion ends up differing from mine, I fully intend to blame my own fanboyish bias. Just forewarning. :laugh:

My main man Snake is definitely not wrong, but I do think the story is best played all the way through.

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I know others have responded but I would like to add my 2 cents as I am a huge Mass Effect fan.

ME1 was a masterpiece and my favorite of the series. One of my top 10 all time. I was hooked day 1. The music and story are miles above 2 and 3. ME1 did not reach as many gamers as it was origionally published by Microsoft (before EA bought it) and was an "exclusive" that did end up on PC too and eventually PS3 some time later.

So I think that taints some peoples view of ME1. Unless they had a X360 and didn't play it before the hype-train arrived it was difficult to go back to because if you played 2 first you had an understanding of what happened in 1 and yes, the gameplay was a bit different. Im weird and it never bothered me but lots of people hated it. Its not so different that you should not play the game because of it though.

Side note, in ME1 you don't "reload" your weapons, they have a cool-down. But for some reason, technology went backwards and you have clips in ME2 and 3 lol.

To me, they got worse as they went on. 2 wasn't horrible and 3 was good until the end. Even with the "fixed" endings it's meh IMO.

Anyways, I agree with starting at the beginning and not with #2 like 80% of fans did.... im probably exaggerating there but ME1 is worth it to experience the story and music alone as your first ME experience.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I think HerpaDerp is right about the quality of ME1. However, going back, it has aged more on a technical level than the other two (not as badly as Dragon Age Origins, though - another fantastic game).

I don't think it's the best one personally, but it was amazing and was instantly one of my favourites.

I really wish they hadn't gone to that ammo system and had kept the heat system, though. I agree with that.

It's still absolutely playable IMO, but I still want a remaster. :laugh:

Last edited:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
TL;DR - It's not bad, but it's definitely not good. Disappointing, and I'm sad. Don't play it unless maybe you are really hurting for a co-op game and aren't interested in anything else coming out.

EDIT: Just for the record, you can basically play this solo (with the exception of the sections you are forced into free play)....although it constantly harasses you not to.
Yea pretty much agree with everything
They should just do a remaster of Dragon Age: Origins. What a phenomenal game that was.
You mean remaster the OG ME trilogy.

ME2 is by far my favourite ME game, and a top 10 game of all time for me. I liked ME3 a lot more than ME1 also, ME1 doesn't hold up well at all today.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I will say, they do have a fairly ambitious road map for this game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was scrapped after the bad reviews (like what happened with Andromeda).

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I keep logging in hoping to start enjoying it but it never happens. Some things like the abilities and the flying mechanics are pretty fun, but everything else is just so....meh. Hopefully they can turn it around and get this game into a fun state but it’s definitely a disappointing launch.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I played the private beta on Xbox One X two weeks ago, it's nothing special.
Agree to disagree. I also played it, and enjoyed it. It'll be even better playing with friends. Their emphasize on focusing a lot on the end game stuff is also encouraging, Anthems end game is basically nothing.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I’m about an hour into it and it’s like Destiny 2 with the lack of stuff at launch. Then again that’S the EA playbook too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad