BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Most games are downgraded from their initial reveal, but the Internet still freaks out about it. Happens to pretty much every game, of course it wasn't going to look like that at launch. It's still one of the better looking games out there even after the downgrade.

Reactions: tmurfin

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Eh, not a chance it's one of the best looking games out there. It looks alright, the trees and wildlife have an extremely flat shading to them now and the overall lighting looks night and day from the original. Like I say downgrades like this were prominent early in the generation, but I haven't seen that type of severe downgrade since watchdogs.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I played the demo and while I really do love the base mechanics, whether it's the flying or the combat combos.... the actual encounter design was really, really boring.

Hopefully the end-game is where this really shines, and they have something like the Raids in Destiny. Cause if the entire game is just this, I think I'd rather split my time between Destiny 2 and Division 2.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
it's decently fun, controls and menu are terrible though.

way too many loading screens. why do we need a loading screen when I want to look at the forge in Tarsis??

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I think I'd rather split my time between Destiny 2 and Division 2.

Pretty much what I've been hearing a lot. What's presented in the demo seems like a blander version of Destiny, and people with hands on Division 2 have been much more positive so far.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Pretty much what I've been hearing a lot. What's presented in the demo seems like a blander version of Destiny, and people with hands on Division 2 have been much more positive so far.

After playing the demo, I agree. The gameplay is good(not amazing), but I don't have confidence the endgame is anywhere close to Destiny 2 (to be expected) or even what Division 2 will be. Onto the Division 2 demo for me.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I have seen nothing in the demo that sets it apart from Destiny. Seems typical shoot-n-loot stuff, and very meh stuff at that.

Where Anthem could have the advantage is in the RPG elements, as BioWare is (or at least was, historically) an RPG studio....particularly since PvP isn't really a thing like it is in Anthem's competitors.

That said, I'll be surprised if this doesn't quickly turn into yet another half-baked EA cash grab attempt instead. Call me cynical.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
It's more like Warframe x mass effect if anything, maybe a little bit of diablo and monster hunter world mixed in. It does feel like it's own thing though. Hopefully the tech issues can be sorted out before launch. I'm just buying the origin premier pass on PC for $15, I know I'll at least get a month out of it. I'll buy the game after if I like it enough but if I don't Divison 2 is out around then which I got for free already from buying a new cpu.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
It's more like Warframe x mass effect if anything, maybe a little bit of diablo and monster hunter world mixed in. It does feel like it's own thing though. Hopefully the tech issues can be sorted out before launch. I'm just buying the origin premier pass on PC for $15, I know I'll at least get a month out of it. I'll buy the game after if I like it enough but if I don't Divison 2 is out around then which I got for free already from buying a new cpu.
I don't know if the deal is still available, but you can sub to Origin Basic for $0.99 for the first month and that comes with a 10-hour trial for Anthem. Should be more than enough time to decide if you want to purchase the game.

Sep 19, 2008
Yes. Anthem drops for Origin Premier members on Feb 14 and then a week later for everyone else.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I'll get it if my son and his friend last longer than a month or two with it. I didn't see enough in the beta to grab it at launch.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
You can spend $5 for Origin Access and try it for 10 hours.

If you are on PC you can get Origin Access Premier for a month for $15 and the game comes with it. On top of that it will be available Thursday at 5:30PM EST.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Yup, I'll be trying the 10 hour demo with Origin Access, and see how I feel about it.

If they've fixed some of the performance and control issues from the demo (they claim they have), and the 3 strongholds don't feel repetitive I think I'll be picking this up. The flying mechanic feels really fun and I find it visually impressive at least.

If this flops, they should try to partner with Disney and flip the assets into a Marvel Ironman video game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Would it be undeserved though? Two enormous critical and financial flops shows some serious problems. Hell, smaller studios without EAs backing probably fold after a huge failure like Mass Effect.

Visceral had 2 commercial flops in Dead Space 3 and Battlefield Hardline back to back. And they got canned, even though they were working on a very promising Star Wars title. And that Star Wars title got moved to another group and now that title is entirely scrapped. So yeah, I could see them going under or them being put up for sale.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Most games are downgraded from their initial reveal, but the Internet still freaks out about it. Happens to pretty much every game, of course it wasn't going to look like that at launch. It's still one of the better looking games out there even after the downgrade.
Wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad