BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't disagree about the hyping thing, but part of that is that a lot of these games probably won't get funding without ascertaining a certain level of interest first, or they have a bottom line to meet with their employers, etc. A lot of this is driven by the current landscape and not the other way around.

yeah. I mean that's certainly one answer to the "people are spoiled" thing.

I wasn't asked to pay $20 for a shallow lark of a game, I was asked for $80 to invest in an evolving MMO AAA type title. I didn't give it that hype and that price, EA/Bioware did.
Is it? You get more entertainment value for your money with video games than literally any other popular industry. $80 for a game that, if you invest your time in, you will play for years with constantly increased amounts of content, etc. is really not that expensive.

I remember when games were released before systems were connected to the internet and if there was a glitch well...you just had to avoid it, save before it (and hope your save wasn't stuck there), or deal with it and start over. This whole 'releasing before being a completely fine tuned finished product' thing isn't exclusive to this generation of gaming; it has always happened. Expectations have certainly changed, as have patience and understanding.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Its 6 of one half-dozen of the other IMO.

Show the game off and try to generate hype or release a game people have just heard about or at least never played and hope it's well recieved.

I just personally see Betas and all the pre-release content that gets out there being more detrimental lately because you get media, streamers and social media saying stuff lile "Man the game really needs this!" Or "I hope at launch it will have X, Y and Z." And they just set themselves up for disappointment.

Where the other way is you play the game at release and say "I hope in the future or in the sequel we get X Y and Z" and you are more content with what you have.

Gamers like to pretend they know game development and say stuff like "Well the beta didn't have this and how hard could it be to add it?" 2 weeks before the games release.

Perfect example is Battlefront 2 and the loot boxes. Guess what? They got rid of "pay to win" on day 1. It never actually happened with the game. But people still complain about it.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't disagree about the hyping thing, but part of that is that a lot of these games probably won't get funding without ascertaining a certain level of interest first, or they have a bottom line to meet with their employers, etc. A lot of this is driven by the current landscape and not the other way around.

Is it? You get more entertainment value for your money with video games than literally any other popular industry. $80 for a game that, if you invest your time in, you will play for years with constantly increased amounts of content, etc. is really not that expensive.

Exactly. And when a game costs that price yet provides some marginal fraction of that value, it's a problem.

I remember when games were released before systems were connected to the internet and if there was a glitch well...you just had to avoid it, save before it (and hope your save wasn't stuck there), or deal with it and start over. This whole 'releasing before being a completely fine tuned finished product' thing isn't exclusive to this generation of gaming; it has always happened. Expectations have certainly changed, as have patience and understanding.

Sorry, I don't have patience for being lied to and ripped off. Even with something like entertainment.

Pretty sure that hasn't changed for most people.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
True. There is a big difference between the "live service" game and a self contained adventure, yet they cost the same up front. It throws the expectations out of whack.

And then, of course, there's the games that do both, complicating the formula further...

I hate online gaming with a passion so I cannot be objective.

I do honestly believe the industry would be better if they gave up trying to replicate WoW's success. It's been 15 years and no one has done it and only very few have even come close.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Perfect example is Battlefront 2 and the loot boxes. Guess what? They got rid of "pay to win" on day 1. It never actually happened with the game. But people still complain about it.

They got rid of it because of complaints. People being mad about it even after it was removed is entirely justified, because as soon as you stop being mad about it they'll just try to do it again.

If somebody breaks into my house and then leaves before they steal anything because I caught them and called them out I'm probably still not going to like them very much nonetheless.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
They got rid of it because of complaints. People being mad about it even after it was removed is entirely justified, because as soon as you stop being mad about it they'll just try to do it again.

If somebody breaks into my house and then leaves before they steal anything because I caught them and called them out I'm probably still not going to like them very much nonetheless.

Well the other thing with Battlefront II was even though they removed the ability to purchase the loot boxes, they still served as the game's primary progression system, with random objective upgrades.

Even removing the "pay to win" economy, it was still a bad progression system.

Despite that, I actually enjoyed the game. However, I will say the progression combined with severe server issues at launch really hurt the experience.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Well the other thing with Battlefront II was even though they removed the ability to purchase the loot boxes, they still served as the game's primary progression system, with random objective upgrades.

Even removing the "pay to win" economy, it was still a bad progression system.

Despite that, I actually enjoyed the game. However, I will say the progression combined with severe server issues at launch really hurt the experience.

Minor sympathy in this case because working with Disney is a nightmare and they didn't allow EA to use cosmetic items so they had to figure out something else, but yea, dumb progression system all around even when it wasn't monetized.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I'm really not surprised at all this game isn't selling well. It didn't even have a target audience to begin with.

Those already playing online MMO rpgs and Looter Shooters? They already have better options they're already deeply invested finacially and emotionally to drop what they are already playing to try something new.

Fans of Bioware's previous games? For people looking for a deep story driven RPG an online only multiplayer MMO shooter was the last thing they wanted.

Sure you'll get a few from both groups who might be willing to give it a shot, but not for $60+ upfront.

They essentially spent all this money and effort on a game that's been done before for a target audience that just doesn't exist at a price point not many are willing to pay.

Reactions: McDNicks17

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Ehh. I think your analogy is kind of silly but I get what you are trying to say.

Also what I meant was people still saying the game was pay to win and it wasn't. They didn't play the game and realize that model was gone. But they complained about it like it was still there. Pointing out that showing off the game with social media and all that other stuff can do more harm than good.

Like CC said, it was still the progression system for a while but they did change it a few months ago to a more traditional one where if you play a soldier a lot you level up your soldier, same with all the other classes and hero's.

Lots of people don't know about that cause people just have these pre-concieved notions of how the game was before launch and believe those still exist.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am skeptical it is that bad.

You can't believe anything that isn't well researched anymore. "Some people say that...." does not pass my smell test.

If this is true, this could be massive.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Based on what I’m reading, it isn’t “bricking” per say. It’s corrupting the ps4’s file management system. This means you have to start the ps4 in safe mode and rebuild the database. Although i guess forcing shutdown isn’t related to that so idk what its actually doing.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Based on what I’m reading, it isn’t “bricking” per say. It’s corrupting the ps4’s file management system. This means you have to start the ps4 in safe mode and rebuild the database. Although i guess forcing shutdown isn’t related to that so idk what its actually doing.
Yes that happens, and more frequently but literally the tweet just above says

Jason Schreier✔@jasonschreier
I got an email this morning from a game dev who said Anthem shut down their PS4 and now it won't turn back on. Apparently they're not alone. This is unreal

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I am skeptical it is that bad.

You can't believe anything that isn't well researched anymore. "Some people say that...." does not pass my smell test.

If this is true, this could be massive.
The guys from Giantbomb all talked about how the game fully crashed their systems multiple times on PS4 during playing, to the point of having to do the "rebuilding" thing.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
This is another rushed EA release that’s full of bugs. PS4’s are crashing/bricking because of this game. My pre order weapons and armor just disappeared after a mission.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
The guys from Giantbomb all talked about how the game fully crashed their systems multiple times on PS4 during playing, to the point of having to do the "rebuilding" thing.

I knew I'd heard about this issue somewhere.

That a game from any studio, especially a major one, can get released with such a problem is mind boggling.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I knew I'd heard about this issue somewhere.

That a game from any studio, especially a major one, can get released with such a problem is mind boggling.
It's inexcusable.
I knew it had to be legit if Sony was apparently saying they would offer refunds for the game. To my knowledge, they don't give out refunds hardly ever at all. So this is even them acknowledging that this is a huge f***-up.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Watching the previews for this game where they're talking about what's in the game is depressing and anger inducing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad