Post-Game Talk: Big Win 4:1 vs Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I bet fans are happy today with Babcock and his coaching, particularly his lines now that Leafs have a big win and had the desired outcome of keeping Sean Monahan and Johnny Hockey in check.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He has a decent shot, he's just snake bitten and trying too hard, trying to make the perfect shot and just missing the net in the process. He's thinking too much, Smith must've gotten in his head.

But he's skating and doing great with passing etc.

His 1st period in particular looked like the Mitch of old that we saw last year. Making things happen when he is on the ice and a threat to score as well.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
We played a solid road game, one of our more complete games of the season.. People might not have liked the lines, but each line played solid and weren't hemmed in our zone... well apart from the Bozak line, but thats to be expected when you have Bozo the clown and JvR together.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
hey guys. I didn't watch the game last night. I watched the highlights. What was the review on Leo's empty netter about?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
hey guys. I didn't watch the game last night. I watched the highlights. What was the review on Leo's empty netter about?

League Initiated Review
1. In the final minute of play in the 3rd Period and at any point in Overtime (Regular Season and Playoffs), Hockey Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach's Challenge.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Any goal scored in the last minute is reviewed by the league if they think something is wrong. It’s to prevent a blown call from determining a game if a coach has no challenge left. Calgary didn’t challenge the play.

At least that’s my understanding of the rule.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I bet fans are happy today with Babcock and his coaching, particularly his lines now that Leafs have a big win and had the desired outcome of keeping Sean Monahan and Johnny Hockey in check.

Nope. I am not happy at all.

Nylander playing 10 minutes is a f***ing joke. This lineup might have won last night but Calgary routinely gives up 40 shots a game so it's not exactly a great team to compare the Leafs to. Gaudreau and Monahan cherry pick and couldn't do that yesterday.

Long term this is not good for the Leafs. Babcock singlehandedly destroying what was the best line in the league to put Hyman and Brown with Matthews.

Now Matthews doesn't even look like his dominant self and we're stuck with a lineup that is broken on nearly all four lines but I guess congrats on the big two points?

Lets see how far we go in December with this lineup.

Reactions: The Best Leafs Ever

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah I'm sure the War Room has sports gamblers in mind on that.
You're very naive if you don't think the accuracy of the score is important to the league.
Integrity is everything.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You're very naive if you don't think the accuracy of the score is important to the league.
Integrity is everything.

Not only that, goal differential is a tie breaker in playoff scenarios. It's important to get it right no matter how many seconds are on the board.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Long term this is not good for the Leafs. Babcock singlehandedly destroying what was the best line in the league to put Hyman and Brown with Matthews.

Now Matthews doesn't even look like his dominant self and we're stuck with a lineup that is broken on nearly all four lines but I guess congrats on the big two points?

Find another team to cheer for? Only a special type of person can say what you just said after a 4-1 win.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We played a solid road game, one of our more complete games of the season.. People might not have liked the lines, but each line played solid and weren't hemmed in our zone... well apart from the Bozak line, but thats to be expected when you have Bozo the clown and JvR together.

I'm one of those sick SOB that enjoys when my team keeps the other team to 20 shots, might be boring for some but for me that is a well played hockey game.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Find another team to cheer for? Only a special type of person can say what you just said after a 4-1 win.

I am happy with the win, I am not happy with the lineup, unless you think that Nylander playing for 10 minutes is good for the team.

We beat a very mediocre Calgary team. This team will get crushed with this lineup against any good team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Shot Quality And Expected Goals: Part I | Corsica

This is a good read if you’re interest in xGF%

Of all the "advanced" stats, I think shot quality metrics offer the most interest.

For a "strength of schedule" ranking, there are some pretty big assumptions in there that would make the data very questionable. Such as:
  • Assumption is that teams will not adjust to the opponent (eg. tactics, lines, in game adjustments)
  • Assumption of player health on both sides
  • No account for the starting goaltender
  • Doesn't seem to account for back to back type games or fatigue
Our schedule may be ranked the toughest but I wouldn't worry for reasons noted above.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I had the pleasure if listening to theFan960 on the way into work.

Heard a pro race driver at our high school about 45 years ago say something I thought was good.

When you lose say little, when you win saying nothing.

Maybe we should call in and start a rumour.... such as if the Flames leave... the Oilers will relocate to Calgary?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I am happy with the win, I am not happy with the lineup, unless you think that Nylander playing for 10 minutes is good for the team.

We beat a very mediocre Calgary team. This team will get crushed with this lineup against any good team.
Some of you are putting way too much stock into what the lineup is. Nylander hasn't been playing well so it actually IS best for the team to have him get his groove back on the 4th line, and it is quite obvious it worked. Stop worrying about the lineup and just enjoy this team man

Reactions: stickty111

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

Nylander playing 10 minutes is a ****ing joke. This lineup might have won last night but Calgary routinely gives up 40 shots a game so it's not exactly a great team to compare the Leafs to. Gaudreau and Monahan cherry pick and couldn't do that yesterday.

Nylander has not been himself this season. He has been a drag on every line he has played on so far. Until he works his way out of it, there is no other line for him to play on that won't hurt the team.

Ten minutes is about right for poor possession players.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Here's a thought give the line a chance? Maybe more then 1 game? Consider this, that terrible Matthews-Brown-Hyman line shut down the hottest line in the league and the team won.

Matthews is coming off a back injury, personally knowing what a bad back can do to a person, I'm not surprised at all that Matthews is not scoring at the pace we think he should be.

BTW ... Calgary had 20 SOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad