Post-Game Talk: Big Win 4:1 vs Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
How did Nylander look last night? I see he picked up an A on the Kadri goal, was he shifted back off the fourth line?

He was fine. The 4th line did pretty well and he had some nice chances but just couldn’t score. Set Kadri up for a nice goal to start the 3rd.

It was after a leafs penalty though (so he replaced Komarov for a shift). I’m pretty sure he stayed on L4 all game, other than a 4 on 4 shift with Matthews (which they dominated).

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Strength of schedule (home/road; expected goal%) through Dec 31, 2017. Leafs schedule coming up is BRUTAL. Bruins and Devils have it nice through the holidays.. pic.twitter.com/3KiMBxEhCr
— Travis Yost (@travisyost) November 28, 2017

DPvRZTIUEAAedZp.jpg

What variables go into this?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
"they" are idiots, it was calgary. NHL has to be run by even bigger idiots if they want to challenge an empty-netter with 0.1 seconds left...oh wait.

They have to challenge every goal. With Pro-line and other betting services, integrity of the result matters a lot.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Someone in the NHL offices bet big on the under Lol. Was the under, 4.5?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah I'm sure the War Room has sports gamblers in mind on that.

?

When a league has a partnership with another entity that is based on results of games and the 2 share money.... I'd be 100% certain that accuracy of the result is written into the contract.

Reactions: bax

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Calgary was returning from a successful eastern road trip so they could have suffered a letdown. No matter, they are the best team of the three so we could sweep if we keep the pedal to the metal.

Canucks will also be returning from an eastern road trip so they might be ripe for the picking.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Calgary is so over-rated. They're a fast team but so sloppy, i didn't see any real structure from them. Lots of raw talent up front but man that D-Core is so over-rated.

Living here I can tell you most think the d-core was supposed to be good, perhaps best in the league, but acknowledge it has not lived up to billing.
They discuss how Hamonic has not found his grove and Brodie has been anything but stellar for over a year now.

If anyone is saying they're great it isn't the local guys.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I watched the Flames broadcast on Sporsnet, and it was honest and fair.
Intermission they said the big difference between the teams is the Leafs have players on the 4th. line that are top 6 players, whereas the Flames bottom 6 are ineffective.

The leafs have great forward depth and yes it’s much easier to shut down the Gaudreau line when it’s their only scoring line.

However Borgman and Polak were a tire fire in their own end. Carrick should play the next game.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I still don't think the line combos and roster choices are working despite the win.

First goal was a fluke.

Second goal was a nice play by Hyman and Zaitsev, but the line overall wasn't working well. Matthews didn't even get a shot on goal. So the whole theory that Hyman and Brown would dig the pucks out and get it to Matthews didn't really work out. Our best player didn't really get any quality scoring chances. Felt like we were playing with 3 checking lines.

Third goal happened with a line of Kadri, Marleau, and Nylander. Now, I wouldn't exactly pick this as a line, but they are still 3 very good players... and guess what Babcock... when you put 3 good players on the same line... they score goals.

The JVR - Bozak - Marner line finished as a -1... so the defensive problems are still there.

Overall, these lines aren't working. We were lucky that Andersen played really well and that we got a nice bounce or two. A win is a win... and we won despite Babcock's poor line combos and roster choices. But we could be a whole lot better with better line and roster combos.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Kadri needs to teach Marner how to shoot the puck.
He has a decent shot, he's just snake bitten and trying too hard, trying to make the perfect shot and just missing the net in the process. He's thinking too much, Smith must've gotten in his head.

But he's skating and doing great with passing etc.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I still don't think the line combos and roster choices are working despite the win.

First goal was a fluke.

Second goal was a nice play by Hyman and Zaitsev, but the line overall wasn't working well. Matthews didn't even get a shot on goal. So the whole theory that Hyman and Brown would dig the pucks out and get it to Matthews didn't really work out. Our best player didn't really get any quality scoring chances. Felt like we were playing with 3 checking lines.

Third goal happened with a line of Kadri, Marleau, and Nylander. Now, I wouldn't exactly pick this as a line, but they are still 3 very good players... and guess what Babcock... when you put 3 good players on the same line... they score goals.

The JVR - Bozak - Marner line finished as a -1... so the defensive problems are still there.

Overall, these lines aren't working. We were lucky that Andersen played really well and that we got a nice bounce or two. A win is a win... and we won despite Babcock's poor line combos and roster choices. But we could be a whole lot better with better line and roster combos.

It felt like we were playing with 3 checking lines... I agree, and it's by design, whether we like it or not.

We did hold Calgary's offense in check and outshoot an opponent though, so let's give Babs credit where credit is due.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He has a decent shot, he's just snake bitten and trying too hard, trying to make the perfect shot and just missing the net in the process. He's thinking too much, Smith must've gotten in his head.

But he's skating and doing great with passing etc.

His lack of finish is negatively impacting his linemates.

That pass by Bozak, almost anyone would have scored.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad