Post-Game Talk: Big Win 4:1 vs Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I am happy with the win, I am not happy with the lineup, unless you think that Nylander playing for 10 minutes is good for the team.

We beat a very mediocre Calgary team. This team will get crushed with this lineup against any good team.
Jeff O'Neill said something last night that I agree with. The leafs have some of the best young offense players in the league but with the way Babcock coaches your probably won't see any of them win a scoring race because he care more about winning then he does awards.
you may not like the lines or the amount of ice time certain players get, but Babcock is trying to build a team that goes deep in the playoffs and has a chance to win it all. But if you care more about stats then the ultimate goal....well I just can't help you .

Reactions: Lauro

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Jeff O'Neill said something last night that I agree with. The leafs have some of the best young offense players in the league but with the way Babcock coaches your probably won't see any of them win a scoring race because he care more about winning then he does awards.
you may not like the lines or the amount of ice time certain players get, but Babcock is trying to build a team that goes deep in the playoffs and has a chance to win it all. But if you care more about stats then the ultimate goal....well I just can't help you .

I agree with your post but he also has a point. Calgary is a very soft/mediocre team in their own end and we cycled on them all night. But if we’re playing a big team with good D who can clog the neutral zone I think we would’ve ran into some trouble last night. When you have a game breaker like Nylander (and Marner earlier in the year) there’s really no point playing them only 10 minutes.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I see some people arent happy with wins unless their favorite playere are getting the right amount of ice time.
It gets annoying sometimes. Pretty much anything nowadays you see people suddenly learn to pull stats and becomes head coaches/arm chair GMs overnight and completely forget how to watch hockey games traditionally.

Fact is if you don't pay attention to stats it doesn't make you less of a fan. Getting the win is sweetest and it's what matters the most.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree with your post but he also has a point. Calgary is a very soft/mediocre team in their own end and we cycled on them all night. But if we’re playing a big team with good D who can clog the neutral zone I think we would’ve ran into some trouble last night. When you have a game breaker like Nylander (and Marner earlier in the year) there’s really no point playing them only 10 minutes.
If we were playing a different team we wouldn't have played like that. Babcock is a tactical coach and he knows how he wants his team to play. That's why we gave Washington so much trouble in the playoffs

Reactions: bionic

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Start off our Western Trip with a 4-1 win and this thread is still full of negativity and criticism.

Yet some are shocked when posters like Daisy don’t want to post here anymore

They need to re-implement the negativity rules back from when there were people actively cheering losses because of tanking.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
er, you sure you're looking at the right season?

minimum 5min, 5v5 adj.

Matthews/Hyman/Brown 56.7%
Matthews/Hyman/Nylander 54.3%
Matthews/Hyman/Marner 54.3%

Kadri/Komo/Kapanen 51.0%
Kadri/Komo/Marleau 50.4%
Kadri/Komo/Brown 48.9%
Kadri/Komo/Nylander 46.7%
Kadri/Komo/Martin 41.9%
Kadri/Komo/Leivo 40.2%
Kadri/Komo/Sosh 0.0%

Bozak/JVR/Marner 55.3%
Bozak/JVR/Brown 46.5%
Bozak/JVR/Nylander 45.1%

Moore/Martin/Nylander 76.0%
Moore/Martin/Marner 63.9%
Moore/Martin/Sosh 41.1%
Moore/Martin/Brown 31.1%

Top 5 Line Combos of the season, minimum 5min, 5v5 adj (of 36 total 5+ min combos):

1.Nylander/Matthews/Kadri 88.1%
2.Nylander/Marleau/Komarov 84.6%
3.Nylander/Moore/Martin 76.0%
4.Nylander/Matthews/Marleau 64.9%
5.Marner/Bozak/Martin 64.8%
Pulled it from NST. The numbers I used were prior to last nights game but really didn't change much since the combinations with Nylander were largely unchanged. NST doesn't show any of those top 5 combos as having more than 5 minutes, save the 4th one, at 5:31, 5 on 5.

The data you pulled is pretty much the same though. Willie has been a drag on every line except for the 4th. You can pretty much throw out combos on Kadris line with Leivo, Martin and Sosh since none of those combos have even 15 mins on the ice together.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It was a very structured and well planned game last night against the Flames, they completely nullify the Flames top lines

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I am happy with the win, I am not happy with the lineup, unless you think that Nylander playing for 10 minutes is good for the team.

We beat a very mediocre Calgary team. This team will get crushed with this lineup against any good team.

The way I see it, Matthews put Hyman and Brown together to both help shut down Calgary's big line. (because that's the match up Calgary wanted)

And it frees up both Willie and Marner to run amok against Calgary's weaker lines. And oh look! Marner had what? 6 shots last night and about 4 of them high danger?

It worked.

This is why he's paid millions to coach in the NHL while you are posting on TF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad