OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes (Still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I work 40hours.

****ty hours, okayish pay, no bonuses.

But. Literally only WORK 24 hours a week. The rest is standby to respond to situations.

I dunno if I should feel lucky or not, not having to dig ditches or actually work 40+ hours a week. But im not standing by at home...im at my work location counting down the time till I can leave for home...counting down my life...

I don't think I'm lucky.

Ugh.

I’m employed 40 hours a week but only average 25 hours a week because of fatigue. I have flexible hours depending how I feel. They are really good when it comes to that. There’s an end of year bonus if the company has done well too which it usually does.

I’m pretty grateful as I don’t think most companies would be happy with that.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So far, the worst thing I've noticed about being a salaried employee is that you only have a certain amount of days off. You found a great price on a flight to Amsterdam from a Friday to the next Friday? Well too bad because you only have 4 PeTO days left, so you can't take do that.

My friend from college works with a company that has unlimited PeTO days, they just care about getting work done. I'd love to work for a company like that, not because I'd take off a ton of time (I feel like I'd take off less than if I had 5 weeks of PeTO), but because I wouldn't be contractually obligated to work 80 hours every 2 weeks even if I have no work to do.

PeTO?

Do you guys not have annual leave?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Annual leave, ha. In America that's when you get "downsized" then brought back after their in theory cost savings doesn't work in the real world.

I get 28 days annual leave at the moment, plus 8 bank holidays and a privileged day. So 37 for me this year.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I get like four weeks of vacation and a whole bunch more sick time..that I can't use because when you do they ding you hard on performance review.

It's like a form of torture. Oh, here is 200 hours of sick time you can't use...sucker!!!

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Speaking of not going to work, I just scheduled myself a visit to Denver next week. :)

Can you finally confirm if that John Denver is full of **** man?

hqdefault.jpg

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I get 28 days annual leave at the moment, plus 8 bank holidays and a privileged day. So 37 for me this year.

Annual leave is same thing as PTO (paid time off), at least I assume. That's a good amount of leave.

I work in financial services and have a pretty generous PTO package + bank holidays, but that is far from the norm in most American companies.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I get 3 weeks vacation, 3 vacation bonus days, 48 hours personal time, 2 float days and 2 lieu days, plus I accumulate more personal hours every time I work 6 days a week (which is almost every single week) instead of them paying me the overtime. It works out to be over 7 weeks worth of paid time off. Though, because I work close to an extra 50 days a year anyway, I'm actually in the hole.

In two years I'll be up to 4 weeks vacation (plus 4 days vacation bonus).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I get 3 weeks vacation, 3 vacation bonus days, 48 hours personal time, 2 float days and 2 lieu days, plus I accumulate more personal hours every time I work 6 days a week (which is almost every single week) instead of them paying me the overtime. It works out to be over 7 weeks worth of paid time off. Though, because I work close to an extra 50 days a year anyway, I'm actually in the hole.

In two years I'll be up to 4 weeks vacation (plus 4 days vacation bonus).
that's all pretty crazy. I think I've worked like 3 days OT that weren't completely voluntary. And those were all just driving on Sunday for trials Monday morning. And they pay me 8 hours OT for 6 hours of driving. I've probably worked 10-15 other OT days, but they are voluntary and I get payed for it.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'm contemplating dropping down to just the regular 5x8 hour work week, but it's hard after making what I have for so long to take a "pay cut". As I've gotten older, I do enjoy my time off more and more. It's a tough decision. I think I'm just going to gradually work less and less throughout the years.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I'm contemplating dropping down to just the regular 5x8 hour work week, but it's hard after making what I have for so long to take a "pay cut". As I've gotten older, I do enjoy my time off more and more. It's a tough decision. I think I'm just going to gradually work less and less throughout the years.

I guess work out what you spend stuff on and then ask yourself if you really need it or can you make do with less money.

Buy less things but maybe save a little bit for travelling (even short trips away).

Not many people wished they worked more. Try to make it work what’s best for you.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I know :laugh: If kid me could see adult me, she would be hurling :laugh:

Also feel you on the not smelling, although mine is due to a deviated septum keeping me constantly stopped up. I debate having the surgery, but always decide against it.

I even eat Brussels sprouts now. I went through a stage of not really wanting to eat my vegetables as a kid. I wasn’t allowed to leave the table until I was done. I was so slow my parents went into the living room and that’s when I snuck down to my toy box in my room and hide the vegetables :laugh:

Eventually that started getting noticeable so I started to throw the vegetables behind my Mum’s wardrobe. Eventually I was found out :laugh:

What’s the hesitation with the surgery? Is it risky or might not work? At one stage early on they thought they could do surgery on me but they’d have to cut open my skull around where the eyebrows are. I wasn’t really keen on that when it’s not a guarantee to work and after more scans there was too much damage to fix.

Reactions: DegenX

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I guess work out what you spend stuff on and then ask yourself if you really need it or can you make do with less money.

Buy less things but maybe save a little bit for travelling (even short trips away).

Not many people wished they worked more. Try to make it work what’s best for you.

Well, it's kind of a catch-22. The more I work now, the bigger my pension will be and the more I can save for retirement, trips, house renos, etc... I can retire with my full pension at 58. Whether I can actually afford to or not is another story. A lot of that depends on what kind of lifestyle I'll want to live when I retire. I certainly don't want to be working when I'm 65.

I've actually eased off a lot since getting married. For one thing, I actually enjoy where I live now that I've bought my own home and don't live in a crummy little apartment. My house is almost my own personal getaway.
I used to just work as much as possible, sometimes I'd only get a day off a month, sometimes I'd work 15.5 hour shifts when available.

Having the vacation time now certainly helps. I'm taking a bunch of time off this fall and man am I ever looking forward to it. Some time spent camping, booking a cottage for a weekend. Do some fishing, some hunting.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Man, I'd never (voluntarily) work a job where I only get one day off a month. I certainly fall into the millenial stereotype of proritizing work/life balance.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I even eat Brussels sprouts now. I went through a stage of not really wanting to eat my vegetables as a kid. I wasn’t allowed to leave the table until I was done. I was so slow my parents went into the living room and that’s when I snuck down to my toy box in my room and hide the vegetables :laugh:

Eventually that started getting noticeable so I started to throw the vegetables behind my Mum’s wardrobe. Eventually I was found out :laugh:

What’s the hesitation with the surgery? Is it risky or might not work? At one stage early on they thought they could do surgery on me but they’d have to cut open my skull around where the eyebrows are. I wasn’t really keen on that when it’s not a guarantee to work and after more scans there was too much damage to fix.
It's not any more risky than any other surgery. But there are risks, and it's something I've lived with all my life. I know how to manage it, so that, the minimal risks and the long recovery time always make me decide against it.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh neat, I get to go to Munich for Oktoberfest this year. I was planning on going next year, but I actually figured out that going this year was very doable. I get to go to 1 DEL game (Munich vs Augsburg) and 2 Bundesliga games (Schalke 04 vs Bayern in Munich and Hertha vs Werder in Berlin). This should be pretty neat.

Edit: just kidding, there are no hotels available in Munich and I booked my flight before checking that. I now have to cancel my flight from Berlin to Munich that I made 15 minutes ago, so that's $40 down the drain. I had the choice of either staying at a $100 per night camp site in Munich for 3 nights or stomaching a $38 cancellation fee on my flight, so it's pretty obvious which one I picked.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I can see the headlines now:

“TRAIN BREAKS SOUND BARRIER”

934DDB43-9BBA-4B4C-9591-D63D0478AC5C.jpeg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have like 6 weeks of vacation. I take random days off just for the hell of it, but mostly because the VP makes me. So there are times I am "on vacation" but I am literally just taking calls in my boxers in my living room instead.

I feel like I might be a workaholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad