OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes (Still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not much of a burger fan, but here ya go @ColePens :

Stack'd (whatever you're feeling)
BRGR (Fire in the Hole)
Hello Bistro (John Wayne)
Applewood (I forget what I had)

In general, I guess I like the patties thinner. And I suppose more diner-like/divey.

That explains... A LOT. Stack'd is basically what 5 guys should be. I like their concept and I think they are one of the best underrated burgers because of their style. But it's a fast food burger and nothing special. I enjoy Stack'd, though. BRGR is a thin patty and similar to Burgatory - okay but nothing great.

Hello Bistro (Eat N Park) - come on! I'll punch you. Wendys is better than Hello Bistro. Get yourself a damn chopped salad and like it. :laugh:

But yes... Butterjoint is not a thin patty. That glorious hunk of beef is better than any wagyu patty i had for any amount of money. Melts in your damn mouth. The bun is a perfect compliment of toasted/not too much bread. The fries fit perfectly. The booze is guuuud.

So taste/food is like music. It's whatever you prefer. I could understand if you like the fast-food style (thin), then your list makes sense.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
That explains... A LOT. Stack'd is basically what 5 guys should be. I like their concept and I think they are one of the best underrated burgers because of their style. But it's a fast food burger and nothing special. I enjoy Stack'd, though. BRGR is a thin patty and similar to Burgatory - okay but nothing great.

Hello Bistro (Eat N Park) - come on! I'll punch you. Wendys is better than Hello Bistro. Get yourself a damn chopped salad and like it. :laugh:

But yes... Butterjoint is not a thin patty. That glorious hunk of beef is better than any wagyu patty i had for any amount of money. Melts in your damn mouth. The bun is a perfect compliment of toasted/not too much bread. The fries fit perfectly. The booze is guuuud.

So taste/food is like music. It's whatever you prefer. I could understand if you like the fast-food style (thin), then your list makes sense.

Hey now, you only gave me ten minutes to respond. I'm sure I could come up with a better list since what was listed was essentially the burgers I had in recent memory. :laugh:

Do turkey and veggie burgers count? :popcorn:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Another day, another soaking whilst sightseeing, this time Statue of Liberty. Finally made it to the crown on my third visit.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

That's a good comparison, 'fer sure'. I'm not really a burger person. Actually, I'm not really a beef person. An occasional fillet, but generally I'm more inclined to chicken, fish or some tasty veggies. I'm not much for potatoes, either. Weird, I know. Like tonight, I grilled some chicken breasts that I'd marinated in a homemade harissa lime concoction and served it with haricots verts (everything sounds better in French, yeah?), riced cauliflower and goat cheese. Mmmmm ... so good. The spice of the harissa was nicely balanced by the goat cheese, and some black Cyprus salt flakes on the beans were perfection. Yesterday was blackened Mahi with some mango salsa. It's strange, but the older I get the more I flat out crave clean, healthy food.

Reactions: ColePens

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That's a good comparison, 'fer sure'. I'm not really a burger person. Actually, I'm not really a beef person. An occasional fillet, but generally I'm more inclined to chicken, fish or some tasty veggies. I'm not much for potatoes, either. Weird, I know. Like tonight, I grilled some chicken breasts that I'd marinated in a homemade harissa lime concoction and served it with haricots verts (everything sounds better in French, yeah?), riced cauliflower and goat cheese. Mmmmm ... so good. The spice of the harissa was nicely balanced by the goat cheese, and some black Cyprus salt flakes on the beans were perfection. Yesterday was blackened Mahi with some mango salsa. It's strange, but the older I get the more I flat out crave clean, healthy food.

I just recently started eating diced cauliflower and it was pretty good. I have it with a meat, few other vegetables and a 2 year old aged cheddar. I have anosmia but I can really taste that cheese. I literally have a huge smile on my face eating that cheese.

Started eating zucchini noodles instead of pasta and it was actually pretty good too. I never thought it would have been a good enough pasta substitute but happy to have been proven wrong.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I just recently started eating diced cauliflower and it was pretty good. I have it with a meat, few other vegetables and a 2 year old aged cheddar. I have anosmia but I can really taste that cheese. I literally have a huge smile on my face eating that cheese.

Started eating zucchini noodles instead of pasta and it was actually pretty good too. I never thought it would have been a good enough pasta substitute but happy to have been proven wrong.
I know :laugh: If kid me could see adult me, she would be hurling :laugh:

Also feel you on the not smelling, although mine is due to a deviated septum keeping me constantly stopped up. I debate having the surgery, but always decide against it.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Went to the NHL store and of course the only team they had sold out of wooly hats is the Pens. Got myself a Geno t-shirt

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Went to the NHL store and of course the only team they had sold out of wooly hats is the Pens. Got myself a Geno t-shirt

After their new contract with Fanatics, is it even worth spending any money at the NHL store anymore?

Fanatics is so cheaply made, even the people that make the knockoff NHL gear have higher quality than them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Burgatory has been hit and miss for me, to be honest. The one in Fox Chapel was really solid, but the one at the North Shore was just okay. Stack'd is pretty consistently good, and it's also nice because it's in the heart of Oakland. I also like ordering cheese sticks as a topping and then just taking them off, $2 for 3 cheese sticks is a steal :laugh:

Pittsburgh isn't a great city for pizza or burgers, tbh. Although I've never been to Butterjoint, so maybe that's the really good place that I've been missing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
OTB has really good burgers. And Fatheads. Both are way better than BRGR, Stack'd, or Burgatory imo. I haven't been to Butterjoint. It's about half an hour away even without traffic.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
After their new contract with Fanatics, is it even worth spending any money at the NHL store anymore?

Fanatics is so cheaply made, even the people that make the knockoff NHL gear have higher quality than them.
The t-shirt is different to the two I picked up in Pittsburgh in November. Theses have the name at the top. The #17 and #81 have the name at the bottom. It seems to be a decent quality t-shirt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So far, the worst thing I've noticed about being a salaried employee is that you only have a certain amount of days off. You found a great price on a flight to Amsterdam from a Friday to the next Friday? Well too bad because you only have 4 PeTO days left, so you can't take do that.

My friend from college works with a company that has unlimited PeTO days, they just care about getting work done. I'd love to work for a company like that, not because I'd take off a ton of time (I feel like I'd take off less than if I had 5 weeks of PeTO), but because I wouldn't be contractually obligated to work 80 hours every 2 weeks even if I have no work to do.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
maybe it's because I work for a tiny company, but I can't even fathom having no work to do. I can't even get to my back-burner projects as is.

More time off would obviously be nice though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
maybe it's because I work for a tiny company, but I can't even fathom having no work to do. I can't even get to my back-burner projects as is.

More time off would obviously be nice though.

I should clarify, that wasn't me saying I don't have any work to do. It was more of a concept of where even if you have nothing to do, you still have to be there because you're obligated to be there. It's more of a question in general about time off :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So far, the worst thing I've noticed about being a salaried employee is that you only have a certain amount of days off. You found a great price on a flight to Amsterdam from a Friday to the next Friday? Well too bad because you only have 4 PeTO days left, so you can't take do that.

My friend from college works with a company that has unlimited PeTO days, they just care about getting work done. I'd love to work for a company like that, not because I'd take off a ton of time (I feel like I'd take off less than if I had 5 weeks of PeTO), but because I wouldn't be contractually obligated to work 80 hours every 2 weeks even if I have no work to do.
Well, that and over time. You think you work 40hrs a week?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sucker.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, that and over time. You think you work 40hrs a week?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...sucker.
I work some extra when I travel, but I also come in late sometimes or just go straight home sometimes if I get back early. Plus if I actually work any time on the weekend I get OT pay despite being salaried. I probably average like 42 hours a week or something, but that's usually driving time when I'm listening to music or an audiobook. Not everywhere is awful about that stuff.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I work some extra when I travel, but I also come in late sometimes or just go straight home sometimes if I get back early. Plus if I actually work any time on the weekend I get OT pay despite being salaried. I probably average like 42 hours a week or something, but that's usually driving time when I'm listening to music or an audiobook. Not everywhere is awful about that stuff.
I work something like 50hrs a week on average, 10 of that is just them getting me for free, but I do bonus out and I am paid a fantastic salary so I don't mind it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm supposed to work 44 hours one week and then 36 the next, with that one Friday off (you know, to get to an average of 40 hours). The last four months I'm averaging 48 hours a week and will totally be shafted on bonus, etc.

So yes, I'm definitely still looking for a new job.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I work 40hours.

Shitty hours, okayish pay, no bonuses.

But. Literally only WORK 24 hours a week. The rest is standby to respond to situations.

I dunno if I should feel lucky or not, not having to dig ditches or actually work 40+ hours a week. But im not standing by at home...im at my work location counting down the time till I can leave for home...counting down my life...

I don't think I'm lucky.

Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad