OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes (Still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I completed the JFK hat-trick today.

I have been to his place of birth in Brookline, MA, his death in Dallas, TX and place of rest in Arlington, VA.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Is this what the world is going to be like now?

People from ethnic backgrounds making it seem like a movie that is filled with their demographic being ground breaking?
As a black dude (albeit half), I hated how people pumped up Black Panther to be this magical movie, it wasn't, it's probably one of the more weaker Marvel movies story wise, they wasted a fantastic villain (I mean, it is Marvel, that's their M.O), and many other things that annoyed me, but then they just acted like the movie was a masterpiece like Shawshank Redemption or The Godfather. Yeah, **** that.

Now Crazy Rich Asians, which me and my asian gf saw, is basically Coming to America, with.....ASIANS!!

She turns to me in the middle of the movie "This is like that Eddie Murphy movie you watch every winter..."

Me - "You think?...YOU THINK!?...it's a rip off, but worse."

Get.
The.
Out.
Yes and it drives me out of my gourd. I talked about my feelings on "Get Out" a couple months back.

Same thing with people acting like any time a woman does something, it is the first time and should be lauded endlessly as a groundbreaking triumph of humanity. This seems nice, until you realize it spits in the direction of greats like Mae West, Lucille Ball, etc. that actually were the groundbreakers and innovators. Women have had television series, starring roles in films, been popular standup comics, etc. for generations. It's all so disingenuous and patronizing. And that is just in the entertainment sector, it has permeated into all areas of life.

Though I get annoyed by how all comic book movies seem to be praised like they are crowning achievements of cinema. Teachers used to always say that nerds would take over. Problem is that the wrong nerds took over, not the intelligent ones, but the ones that spend hours debating if Batman could beat Superman in a fight. ;)

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes and it drives me out of my gourd. I talked about my feelings on "Get Out" a couple months back.

Same thing with people acting like any time a woman does something, it is the first time and should be lauded endlessly as a groundbreaking triumph of humanity. This seems nice, until you realize it spits in the direction of greats like Mae West, Lucille Ball, etc. that actually were the groundbreakers and innovators. Women have had television series, starring roles in films, been popular standup comics, etc. for generations. It's all so disingenuous and patronizing. And that is just in the entertainment sector, it has permeated into all areas of life.

Though I get annoyed by how all comic book movies seem to be praised like they are crowning achievements of cinema. Teachers used to always say that nerds would take over. Problem is that the wrong nerds took over, not the intelligent ones, but the ones that spend hours debating if Batman could beat Superman in a fight. ;)

Yeah I mean out of all of the intellectual property attached to comics and graphic novels as well as books, they need to stop over saturating the market with just plain old comic book movies.

I'm feeling the exhaustion from it already, but intrigued by this DC Dark Universe thing with the Joker movie with Joaquin, which is more a crime story of a movie if anything.

And I am with you on the first part as well.

The funniest thing is that the women in hollywood right now are acting like the men in hollywood they wanted to over throw. Which just proved that it's not men that are depraved, men and women equally are and are both power hungry idiots.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
As a straight white male, I have no opinion.

tenor.gif

tumblr_m1r70gO2uQ1rrbne5o2_250.gif

tenor.gif

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yeah I mean out of all of the intellectual property attached to comics and graphic novels as well as books, they need to stop over saturating the market with just plain old comic book movies.

I'm feeling the exhaustion from it already, but intrigued by this DC Dark Universe thing with the Joker movie with Joaquin, which is more a crime story of a movie if anything.

And I am with you on the first part as well.

The funniest thing is that the women in hollywood right now are acting like the men in hollywood they wanted to over throw. Which just proved that it's not men that are depraved, men and women equally are and are both power hungry idiots.
How about that Melissa McCarthy vehicle "Life of the Party", which looks like a painfully unfunny ripoff of Back to School?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is this what the world is going to be like now?

People from ethnic backgrounds making it seem like a movie that is filled with their demographic being ground breaking?
As a black dude (albeit half), I hated how people pumped up Black Panther to be this magical movie, it wasn't, it's probably one of the more weaker Marvel movies story wise, they wasted a fantastic villain (I mean, it is Marvel, that's their M.O), and many other things that annoyed me, but then they just acted like the movie was a masterpiece like Shawshank Redemption or The Godfather. Yeah, **** that.

Now Crazy Rich Asians, which me and my asian gf saw, is basically Coming to America, with.....ASIANS!!

She turns to me in the middle of the movie "This is like that Eddie Murphy movie you watch every winter..."

Me - "You think?...YOU THINK!?...it's a rip off, but worse."

Get.
The.
Out.

People who make a big deal out of race to show how not racist they are enhance the racial divide just as much as actual racists do. You see it in all areas, it's in the name of "diversity" but it's more so about hitting arbitrary quotas so they can't be viewed as racist.

It never made sense to me why things couldn't just be completely merit based, where things outside of your merit meant nothing.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was reading articles a few weeks ago about interns in the banking world literally dying, most likely from stress and exhaustion. Reports of kids going days without sleep and companies having to institute policies requiring interns not be in the office between certain hours. Crazy stuff.

Not surprising. I work in corporate finance, which is tame compared to capital markets interns and analysts. Those kids are working 12-18 hour days 6 days a week and maybe more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People who make a big deal out of race to show how not racist they are enhance the racial divide just as much as actual racists do. You see it in all areas, it's in the name of "diversity" but it's more so about hitting arbitrary quotas so they can't be viewed as racist.

It never made sense to me why things couldn't just be completely merit based, where things outside of your merit meant nothing.
As a poc, if I got into college just because of affirmative action or whatever, I'd feel like a cheat. I didn't get in because I deserved it, I got in because of my skin color and a quota.

Hollywood is that right now with ethnicities.

"Guys, they might kill us with useless twatters, twitters and tweets, we need to hire that indian guy to play a cab driver and the asian guy to play the delivery guy and the black guy to be shot by a cop, stat!"

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How about that Melissa McCarthy vehicle "Life of the Party", which looks like a painfully unfunny ripoff of Back to School?
Outside of that new puppet movie she's in, she's horrendous.

Melissa is the Adam Sandler of female comedy actors, just like 1/10th as famous or successful at that sort of trash.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
http://a.co/dfAFRJD

Zelda BOTW for only $45 on the Switch... but I already have it on the WiiU... Hmmm....

I had the same situation, get it for the switch. It's such a good game that it's worth buying twice. Same with Rocket League, which I also bought twice.

Wii U controller better? What?

The WiiU pro controller was the best controller I've ever used in any video game system. I don't have a pro controller for the switch, I like the joycons a lot so I didn't feel a need to get a pro controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->