Best prospect not yet to play in the NHL.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
Well guys like RNH and Larsson have to take a step forward in their game to match Rundblad. Does RNH break records if he is sent to the SEL next year? That's unlikely.

But as for Larsson, he's not as skilled as Rundblad and is not likely to ever be. To me Larsson is just a guy who will be able to log a lot of safe minutes and be a steady force for a team. His puck skills aren't game breaking.

I'm not disagreeing with Runblad over Larsson, but you and others seem to look at the offensiveness as the most important part for these defenceman. Rundblad had a huge year in the SEL and so did Larsson but his wasn't near as explosive or easy to see.

I've not watched any SEL games, I can only gather what I read from those who have, but how do we measure skill of actual defence compared to the very noticable skill of passing and distribution?

TyBOZAK*

In terms of potential impact on an NHL game right now, I'd say:

1. Vladimir Tarasenko
2. Mikael Granlund
3. Adam Larsson
4. David Rundblad
5. Evgeni Kuznetsov

All Europeans, ironically. The closest North Americans would be Ryan Ellis, Brayden Schenn, and Sean Couturier.

Are we forgetting Landeskog?

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Going by potential, my vote is for RNH. Imo it's more impressive when a player can make an impact without being physically mature. I dont see him being limited to 170lbs when he is playing in the NHL...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If this thread shows anything at all is how ignorant some N.A. fans are.

If you don't think that Granlund and Kuznetsov are THE best prospects outside of NHL then I feel very sorry for you. I live in Canadan and I've seen RNH play, he just hasn't experience any REAL competition yet- nothing like the players I mentioned above. I mean it's Junior hockey FFS!

I would love to see these clowns tell Ovechkin to his face that WC is a joke. Just utter ignorance- no other words can describe it.

I would say Rundblad is more impressive than those two.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I mean it's not like the love isn't kind of warranted, but its just embarrasing how he hypes him like he's guaranteed HOF honors. Rundblad is an excellent prospect, but he still has his faults.

Last edited by a moderator:

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
No love for The Nuge? Hopkins is up to 180-185 now. I honestly really hope we send him back to junior this season so he can dominate the dub an play at the WJC here in Alberta this winter. But if he makes the team it's because he's playing dominant hockey. They won't keep him in Edmonton just to have an aveage season playing on the third of fourth line. Top two lines or the dub! If he makes the NHL he will have the biggest impact of all rookies this year solely based on who hewould be playing with(Hall,Eberle). You can't help but be jelous!

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Damn, didn't remember Toews playing in the WC... I've always thought that all the college players in there have played for Team USA (and usually played poorly, like the whole team).

It would be nice if someone would have a list of prospects playing in the WC while playing in CHL or college...

The only other notable Canadian I can think of is Jordan Eberle.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean it's not like the love isn't kind of warranted, but its just embarrasing how he hypes him like he's guaranteed HOF honors. Rundblad is an excellent prospect, but he still has his faults.

Ultimately, aside from my exaggeration in the other topic (because people so often talk in absolutes when dealing with prospects), I haven't said anything about Rundblad being guaranteed to excel in the NHL. In fact I've stated before that he can bust. All most of us have to go on right now is limited viewing and statistical analysis. From what I have seen of the three Rundblad has impressed me more, and he also has the monster season from this year to fall back on. Yes, he has a ton of faults. No, he's not guaranteed anything. However, he does have a lot of potential and he's shown that up to this point that if he continues to improve the sky is the limit.

Last edited by a moderator:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I would say Rundblad is more impressive than those two.

Of course you would, you have 3737 posts on the subject ....

It's difficult to give a definitive answer, rather it is much easier to create a select group. Kuznetsov, RNH, Larsson, Granlund, Tarasenko, Schenn, Rundblad would be the big names. Saying who is better is a difficult task.

Personally i think it may be Kuznetsov. No prospect had a better year last year than he did. His KHL season was exceptional. He's one of the best players in a league notoriously difficult to break into for young players. Historically, he ranks up there with the best U-20 Russians ever. Probably isn't another prospect as dynamic as Kuznetsov is right now. He's dominated for stretches in the KHL and he absolutely dominated his age class at the World Juniors.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I thought that it was joke. It wasn't?

He is VERY boom or bust, but if he puts it together the Leafs have a first line center in a couple of years. Really helps that he is coming over to play in Erie this year. I don't think I fit into the delusional Leaf fan category, seeing as I am primarily a St. Louis Blues fan. It's just mad easy to follow and watch the Leafs due to the fact I live in Southern Ontario.

deadp0ol

Mar 15, 2011
He is VERY boom or bust, but if he puts it together the Leafs have a first line center in a couple of years. Really helps that he is coming over to play in Erie this year. I don't think I fit into the delusional Leaf fan category, seeing as I am primarily a St. Louis Blues fan. It's just mad easy to follow and watch the Leafs due to the fact I live in Southern Ontario.

yea, we r the delusional ones...

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
yea, we r the delusional ones...

I didn't say you were. I would advise being calm. I simply stated my opinion on a player. Disagree with me as you please, but calling me delusional for saying an 18-year old high-risk, high potential player could by some miracle reach his upside defeats the purpose of this board.

Fulcrum

Of course you would, you have 3737 posts on the subject ....

It's difficult to give a definitive answer, rather it is much easier to create a select group. Kuznetsov, RNH, Larsson, Granlund, Tarasenko, Schenn, Rundblad would be the big names. Saying who is better is a difficult task.

Personally i think it may be Kuznetsov. No prospect had a better year last year than he did. His KHL season was exceptional. He's one of the best players in a league notoriously difficult to break into for young players. Historically, he ranks up there with the best U-20 Russians ever. Probably isn't another prospect as dynamic as Kuznetsov is right now. He's dominated for stretches in the KHL and he absolutely dominated his age class at the World Juniors.

Most people have no idea what team he plays for in KHL, much less that he actually kicked some serious --- in the 2nd half of the season and was stand out on the NT+ next to dominated as an underager at the U20 in crucial moments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad