Best prospect not yet to play in the NHL.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I assume we're talking about "best prospect" in terms of a combination of upside and risk, not current NHL readiness? If so, I'd probably be looking at guys like Johansen (best 2010 draft prospect yet to play IMO), RNH (best 2011), Yakupov (best 2012) and MacKinnon (best 2013).

Surprised by how few RNH mentions there are in this thread, though, kid just went 1st overall yet virtually nobody thinks he's among the top prospects yet to play in the NHL? Guess you all know more about prospects than top NHL scouts/GMs?

Barkkonen

May 10, 2011
Europe prospects:

1. Kuznetshov
2. Granlund
3. Tarasenko (his last season in KHL wasn't as good as many expected, so dropped him 3rd)

4. Swedish defensemen
5. Landeskog

NA:

1. RNH(assuming 1st overall means something)

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
OHLAwards11_AB760124822.JPG

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Was shocked to see Granlund as often as I have.

Based on the level a prospect has reached so far, Granlund is definitely in the discussion for being the best prospect with no NHL experience. In addition there isn't really anything that would indicate that Granlund had already reached his maximum potential. So even if his theoretical upper limit is lower than for example RNH (although I would argue that at this point they both have star 1st line center potential so difference is quite small), Granlund has proven to be closer to that potential having performed at high level against men in FEL and WC.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Basically Granlund has played vs men in FEL, AND WC and hasnt looked out of place, he plays a solid all around game and has improved, he moved from wing to center and was clutch when he was needed to be.

Yes i am a wild fan, but you cant ignore the body of work, how many 19 year olda have a world championship gold as part of their resume.

Its not like granlund has no skill, his vision is great as are his hands and he plays a solid two way game, he is fearless and has grown from 5'8 before being drafted to 5'11 he could end up at 6 ish which will only help him more

squidz*

I assume we're talking about "best prospect" in terms of a combination of upside and risk, not current NHL readiness? If so, I'd probably be looking at guys like Johansen (best 2010 draft prospect yet to play IMO), RNH (best 2011), Yakupov (best 2012) and MacKinnon (best 2013).

Surprised by how few RNH mentions there are in this thread, though, kid just went 1st overall yet virtually nobody thinks he's among the top prospects yet to play in the NHL? Guess you all know more about prospects than top NHL scouts/GMs?

I'm surprised anyone has mentioned RNH. The top of the 2011 draft was pretty weak on a relative scale, so it only makes sense that any players from the top of the 2010 draft or prior would rank ahead of him. RNH was picked first because there weren't any significantly better options, not because he was significantly better than everyone else.

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
Basically Granlund has played vs men in FEL, AND WC and hasnt looked out of place, he plays a solid all around game and has improved, he moved from wing to center and was clutch when he was needed to be.

Yes i am a wild fan, but you cant ignore the body of work, how many 19 year olda have a world championship gold as part of their resume.

Its not like granlund has no skill, his vision is great as are his hands and he plays a solid two way game, he is fearless and has grown from 5'8 before being drafted to 5'11 he could end up at 6 ish which will only help him more

At times he looks like a man among boys.

Apr 6, 2011
Kuznetsov.

Washington has quietly developed a fantastic scouting department over the years... Carlson, Johansson, Kuz, Orlov. Piling up the steals.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Any one saying rnh is delusional, ATM many propects are better then him in consideration to overall hockey play, common he didn't even make team canada world junior team, saying he's the best right now is down right stupid.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Adam Larsson.

I will remain steadfast in the belief until proven absolutely wrong, that we should have picked him over RNH.

GREENs Guardian

Dec 14, 2010
Canada
Adam Larsson.

I will remain steadfast in the belief until proven absolutely wrong, that we should have picked him over RNH.

Nope....Oilers made the right decision. They will get there #1 Dman in 2012, wouldnt have have worked the other way around. There is about 3-4 Dmen that are better than Larsson in the 2012 draft. I expect better from someone who has almost 5,000 posts...

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Nope....Oilers made the right decision. They will get there #1 Dman in 2012, wouldnt have have worked the other way around. There is about 3-4 Dmen that are better than Larsson in the 2012 draft. I expect better from someone who has almost 5,000 posts...

Maybe Trouba or Ebert could end up better in the long run. I doubt it though, Adam Larsson will play in the NHL next year, and he will play well. He's a franchise defender.

That said, I still think RNH was a good first pick. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->