Best prospect not yet to play in the NHL.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm confused by this thread....Is it about upside, proven commodities or NHL readiness?

I don't understand how prospects like Rundblad, Granlund, Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are being listed ahead of RNH or Larsson. RNH and Larsson have higher top end potential than those guys for sure, isn't the criteria for best prospect the one who has the higherst potential or the one who has proven the most?

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
I'm confused by this thread....Is it about upside, proven commodities or NHL readiness?

I don't understand how prospects like Rundblad, Granlund, Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are being listed ahead of RNH or Larsson. RNH and Larsson have higher top end potential than those guys for sure, isn't the criteria for best prospect the one who has the higherst potential or the one who has proven the most?

They have proved less. Kinda like saying Skinner is absolutely better than Tavares or Duchene.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton

It is the prospect that you think is the best that has yet to play in the nhl they can come from any league you want

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

Umm high end upside? Larsson over Rundblad?lol. Larsson is surefire NHLer someday but Rundblad has much higher-high end potential. Dunno about RHN haven't seen him, Granlund is arguably the best 19 year old from finland all time. So his high end talent isn't low aswell. He outscored Mikko Koivu who is nearly an PPG player in NHL. Won FEL playoff point race. Granlund game isn't just point scoring, he's very good without the puck and magical with the puck. Granlund have won alot despite his age being one of the most important player for his team. He is a winner. Ive heard alot of good things about RHN but haven't seen him so i won't compare. Kuznetsovs stats are better than former NHL superstars, so his high end talent is great aswell.

Heres couple clips off granlund at FEL playoffs:

QF game 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9beNqtZ8O_Y

QF game 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvebCoHcer4&feature=related

You can see bit of his smartness in that second clip at 3.00
When the team needed him most, he answered. Same with WC gold.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They have proved less. Kinda like saying Skinner is absolutely better than Tavares or Duchene.

Actually, it would be the opposite IF Skinner was the more experienced one.
Hypothetical situation - It would be like saying that Skinner is better than Tavares/Hall/Duchene just because he has proven more even though the others were drafted much higher and probably have a higher ceiling.

As far as projected NHL upside is concerned and who you would start a franchise with, i can't think of too many people that would take Granlund, Kuznetsov or Rundblad over RNH or Larsson.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Umm high end upside? Larsson over Rundblad?lol. Larsson is surefire NHLer someday but Rundblad has much higher-high end potential. Dunno about RHN haven't seen him, Granlund is arguably the best 19 year old from finland all time. So his high end talent isn't low aswell. He outscored Mikko Koivu who is nearly an PPG player in NHL. Won FEL playoff point race. Granlund game isn't just point scoring, he's very good without the puck and magical with the puck. Granlund have won alot despite his age being one of the most important player for his team. He is a winner. Ive heard alot of good things about RHN but haven't seen him so i won't compare. Kuznetsovs stats are better than former NHL superstars, so his high end talent is great aswell.

Heres couple clips off granlund at FEL playoffs:

QF game 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9beNqtZ8O_Y

QF game 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvebCoHcer4&feature=related

You can see bit of his smartness in that second clip at 3.00
When the team needed him most, he answered. Same with WC gold.

They are all very good prospects but there is a reason that RNH and Larsson have been considered amongst the top prospects in their class for about a year.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
They are all very good prospects but there is a reason that RNH and Larsson have been considered amongst the top prospects in their class for about a year.

How you rank Larsson's high end potential higher than Rundblad's? I agree with you that i would build an franchise around Larsson over Rundblad. I still say i won't compare RHN to other players. 1st overall always have superstar potential, im looking foward to see RHN in the NHL next season or atleast at WJC.

German Senator

Feb 8, 2011
Germany
I forgot that Lehner played a few games in the NHL last season. Then i have to go with Oscar Dansk. He is a few more years away from making an impact than other goalie prospects but has huge upside.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
How you rank Larsson's high end potential higher than Rundblad's? I agree with you that i would build an franchise around Larsson over Rundblad. I still say i won't compare RHN to other players. 1st overall always have superstar potential, im looking foward to see RHN in the NHL next season or atleast at WJC.

I honestly haven't seen Rundblad play although his dominant season in the SEL definitely raised some eyebrows so it's difficult to compare.
I'm just saying that Larsson has a better chance of reaching his top end potential based on draft pedigree alone, who knows how any of these prospects will turn out since none have proven anything at the NHL level.

It would seem that a prospect like Yakupov who is the least proven probably has the highest potential of all but it's difficult to compare because he has had less of a chance to prove himself.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

I think an argument could be made that Skinner has proven more in the NHL than Duchene or Tavares have. He has a 30-goal season and a Calder Trophy. Neither Duchene nor Tavares have either of those.

Radulov, no?

Radulov has played a couple of seasons in the NHL, he wouldn't qualify for this thread. I think he is without a doubt the best player not in the NHL right now, but he's not really a prospect any more either.

F: I can't decide between Granlund, Tarasenko, and Kuznetsov.
D: Rundblad
G: Campbell

tikkanen5rings*

I honestly think that Granlunds top end might be HUGE. He is more physical than Sid but other than that he is getting there.
He plays WAY over of his size and thats what I'm worried about.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Tarasenko or Kuznetsov hands down and it's not even close. I am sick of seeing RNH in the best of everything threads. He is a very good prospect, but he is also a child that is 170lbs and has a lot of growing to do before he can have an impact at the NHL level. Tarasenko if was in the CHL last year he would have been the first pick in the draft. He has the body of an NHL'er already

Fulcrum

If this thread shows anything at all is how ignorant some N.A. fans are.

If you don't think that Granlund and Kuznetsov are THE best prospects outside of NHL then I feel very sorry for you. I live in Canadan and I've seen RNH play, he just hasn't experience any REAL competition yet- nothing like the players I mentioned above. I mean it's Junior hockey FFS!

I would love to see these clowns tell Ovechkin to his face that WC is a joke. Just utter ignorance- no other words can describe it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think some people are really over-estimating the "playing against men" factor when comparing North American and European prospects.

One of the things that scouts like with the playing against men...it's easy to dominate in a league where the players haven't even hit their physical maturity.

Is it overrated? A little bit but seeing a 19 year old dominate a league where not only they are playing players almost twice their age but physically mature enough to compete is amazing.

Pit an expansion team in the NHL against the best team in the QMJHL/OHL/WHL and 9/10 ten the expansion team will win.

Pietraneglo222

Well guys like RNH and Larsson have to take a step forward in their game to match Rundblad. Does RNH break records if he is sent to the SEL next year? That's unlikely.

But as for Larsson, he's not as skilled as Rundblad and is not likely to ever be. To me Larsson is just a guy who will be able to log a lot of safe minutes and be a steady force for a team. His puck skills aren't game breaking.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If this thread shows anything at all is how ignorant some N.A. fans are.

If you don't think that Granlund and Kuznetsov are THE best prospects outside of NHL then I feel very sorry for you. I live in Canadan and I've seen RNH play, he just hasn't experience any REAL competition yet- nothing like the players I mentioned above. I mean it's Junior hockey FFS!

I would love to see these clowns tell Ovechkin to his face that WC is a joke. Just utter ignorance- no other words can describe it.

Didn't Paajarvi get named to first all-star team at WC last year ahead of Ovechkin? I didn't see anyone giving extra credit to Paajarvi or saying he was better than Ovechkin. WC is a short tournament and people sometimes have a few great games and wind up with a lot of fans. Paajarvi is still trying to adjust to the NHL despite doing well at the WC. Who knows what will happen with any of these prospects until they line up in the NHL. It is a big step ahead of any league, not just juniors.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
In terms of potential impact on an NHL game right now, I'd say:

1. Vladimir Tarasenko
2. Mikael Granlund
3. Adam Larsson
4. David Rundblad
5. Evgeni Kuznetsov

All Europeans, ironically. The closest North Americans would be Ryan Ellis, Brayden Schenn, and Sean Couturier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad