Best player getting no hype

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Stone, Chabot, Dumba, Granlund, Gaudreau, Draisaitl, ...and honestly Tavares.

All these guys are silently killing it more or less.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anthony Cirelli is a guy that has gone under the radar. On a top team in the league hes our 3rd Center but I think he can be a top 6 center on a lot of teams and be really good there too. Love watching this kid play. Its still technically his rookie year too. He just doesnt look like it at all.

I too love Cirelli. What a player he is. Usually guys who become heroes in the Memorial Cup or other similar high-stakes junior tournaments (such as WJC) fade into obscurity or is never able to repeat that type of performance, but Cirelli keeps making big plays with great individual efforts. His first goal against the Rangers the other day is a perfect example of that. Love his hustle. I think he's gonna be a playoff ace for Tampa many years into the future.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Dadanov is ppg.

Soderberg producing like Boston Soderberg once again.

Howden (of the McDonagh trade) is out producing Jake Debrusk, Tyler Tofolli, Nolan Patrick and Robert Thomas.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
But he's a real selke candidate from what I've seen (only like 3 jets games)

Scheifele? No, defense isn't the strongest of his abilities but overall he is the Jets best player. Great offensively and certainly holds his own on defense but nowhere close to selke level. Nobody on the Jets is. Been watching him since 16-17 season, pretty much every game he has played.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Josh Morrissey is the Jets best defenseman even though Byfuglien and Trouba are generally talked about the most by other fans.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
No he’s not. He’s a 2C at 19.

He’s 57th overall in points
74th in goals
45th in assists

That’s not legit 1C
Well, some of the players listed above are not centers, or are not full time centers. Just at a quick glance: Giroux, Couture, RNH, Pavelski, Drouin, Reinhart, Marchessault, etc come to mind here. So that disqualifies 7-10 centers off the bat.

When you adjust for p/g, Hischier jumps to 43rd (behind several players who are not primarily used as centers). So looking at points, he is a borderline 1C. Now when you combine points with elite possession numbers; 54.5 CF% (+7.8 CF rel%), elite penalty drawing skills, and the fact that he's a two-way threat, it's pretty clear he's a 1C.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rangers, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Canadiens, Golden Knights, Coyotes, Flames, Sens, Wild.

I think the bolded are debatable, but you get the point.

Can assure you he isn't a 1C on the Wild.

He might not even be the 2C.

He's certainly not better than Monahan or Duchene. Those aren't debatable.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Can assure you he isn't a 1C on the Wild.

He might not even be the 2C.

He's certainly not better than Monahan or Duchene. Those aren't debatable.
I think he's better than Eric Staal, but I can see the argument. I do think he is clearly better than Koivu.

Monahan is tricky as he has established himself as a consistent 60-65 point player. I think Nico will do that this year, along with play driving and two-way skills.

I'm not even going to entertain Duchene. Dude has been a 50-60 point player his whole career and is riding a 16% on-ice shooting percentage. Crosby and McDavid have career on-ice shooting percentages at 12%. I'll let you decide whether that's sustainable.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Well, some of the players listed above are not centers, or are not full time centers. Just at a quick glance: Giroux, Couture, RNH, Pavelski, Drouin, Reinhart, Marchessault, etc come to mind here. So that disqualifies 7-10 centers off the bat.

When you adjust for p/g, Hischier jumps to 43rd (behind several players who are not primarily used as centers). So looking at points, he is a borderline 1C. Now when you combine points with elite possession numbers; 54.5 CF% (+7.8 CF rel%), elite penalty drawing skills, and the fact that he's a two-way threat, it's pretty clear he's a 1C.

Elite penalty drawing skills lol. Sorry not trying to pick a fight or anything I just find that funny.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
For the Habs Domi and Drouin.
Nobody expected this type of production from Domi and the majority had rode off Drouin.
From another team i'd have to say Chabot. He's been unreal.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Are we still counting Eichel when this is now the third thread about how little hype he gets?

Well he’s not getting “no” hype so he doesn’t count. He still doesn’t get anywhere near the amount he should though.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think he's better than Eric Staal, but I can see the argument. I do think he is clearly better than Koivu.

Monahan is tricky as he has established himself as a consistent 60-65 point player. I think Nico will do that this year, along with play driving and two-way skills.

I'm not even going to entertain Duchene. Dude has been a 50-60 point player his whole career and is riding a 16% on-ice shooting percentage. Crosby and McDavid have career on-ice shooting percentages at 12%. I'll let you decide whether that's sustainable.

Ask some GM's who they'd rather have center their top line for the rest of this season, [healthy] Duchene or Hischier. (Hint: it would be Duchene)

Koivu was on pace for 63 points while playing [actual] Selke level D and you think Hischier is better? Tell me more.

Sounds a lot like you're just overrating him at this point in his career based off a good start in advanced stats for the first 30 games of a season.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Ask some GM's who they'd rather have center their top line for the rest of this season, [healthy] Duchene or Hischier. (Hint: it would be Duchene)

Koivu was on pace for 63 points while playing [actual] Selke level D and you think Hischier is better? Tell me more.

Sounds a lot like you're just overrating him at this point in his career based off a good start in advanced stats for the first 30 games of a season.
1) You must know a lot of GMs. Ask them to give the Devils a 2C and starting goalie please!

2) Koivu's point totals the last 4 full seasons he's played: 45, 58, 56, 48

3) 30 games? How about going back to his 18 year old rookie season a year ago?
Todd Cordell‏ @ToddCordell
Nico Hischier's rookie season: • 82 games played • 52 points • 2.58 5v5 points/60 (25th in NHL) • +22 penalty differential (5th in NHL) • +11.7 Goals For Rel% at 5v5.

Damn you Hischier for not controlling your toi and getting PP1 time!

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
I understand it’s important, it’s the fact you used that to support why he’s a number one centre.
You acknowledge it's important; I point out Hischier has been elite at this stat since he's entered the league; I use it as evidence that Hischier is a number one center;

Where is the disconnect here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad