Best player getting no hype

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Who do you think is performing at an elite level this year but is passing under the radar (be it on this site, the media, award discussion etc.)

I'm gonna start with a homer vote and say Lundqvist who is a guerilla force destroying tanks. He's been the best he's been in years this year and should really be mentioned in early vezina discussions. I think his team's situation will prevent that, but it shouldn't

Jack Eichel: Top ten in scoring, is elevating his teammates and has taken his team by the scruff of the neck this year. I watch a lot of Sabres games each year and he was always taking over shifts, but he's found a new level this year and has risen to the challenge of being captain. To be fair he has been talked about a bit on these boards due to Buffalo's recent streak but if the Sabres make the playoffs he's a legitimate Hart candidate

Matt Dumba: I've always liked him but he's an O-zone beast this year. He's still prone to making an occasional gaffe in his own zone but he's coming along nicely as a two way D. If he finishes strong, there's a good chance he makes his way into Norris talk, although he probably won't be nominated. Yet he hardly gets a mention (outside of the trade and FA board)

What say you all?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Barkov gets some hype around here, but worldwide I think he is very underrated.

Same goes for Scheifele and Wheeler

Scheifele is having a great year actually, he might end up being a victim of being part of a collection of great players so he misses out on awards or individual praise.... But he's a real selke candidate from what I've seen (only like 3 jets games)

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
The thing is, Mikael Granlund used all of hes hype before he entered the league. No hype left for him. Same goes for Teuvo Teräväinen.

What you mean, broski. Granlund wasn't hyped at all. Just you regular #9OA pick. Kravtsov isn't hyped either, for example. I mean some guys told me years ago that Granlund is the best player in Europe, but the same thing has been said about a lot of players.

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
What you mean, broski. Granlund wasn't hyped at all. Just you regular #9OA pick. Kravtsov isn't hyped either, for example. I mean some guys told me years ago that Granlund is the best player in Europe, but the same thing has been said about a lot of players.
Most people on HF think Granlund is a 50-60 pt player of the same ilk as a guy like Zuccarello. Reality is that hes great defensively and is more in line with guys like Tarasenko/Stone production wise since hes moved to W from C.

Flick of the Switch

Apr 26, 2015
For the Finnish media it's still Rantanen, I don't know what media boss' dog he has kicked, but he's still getting a side mention occasionally here and there for scoring 2-3 points per game and accidentally leading the NHL in points. Every time Laine scores a goal it's a headline, god forbid if he does something shocking and gets a pass as well, that's headlines for 2 days in a row right there.

This is so odd to see as traditionally any and every Finnish athlete that does well is quickly adopted to be the media's pet and the "Whole Winland roots for X" theme is very heavily placed on the athlete of the month, even if no one has ever heard of them before, but they happen to win a championship internationally or something. Not Rantanen, for some reason. It's not like he's forgotten and blacklisted to be never mentioned, but for dominating the NHL in points with MacK, you'd expect to get mentioned a little more often when it's news about Finns in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad