LeBrun: Bergevin willing to move 1st rounder.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Weber for Subban? Weber has been a great 1st D while Subban was on the ice for more PP goals against than he had points for most of this season.

That's a player for player move. Subban was better first 2 years, Weber better last 2. Considering age and term of contract remaining don't think it's safe to call it a win until it's all said and done.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Weber for Subban? Weber has been a great 1st D while Subban was on the ice for more PP goals against than he had points for most of this season.
On the topic of the Weber subban trade , it is known that the salary cap recapture fees for NASHVILLE are astronomical. If Montreal were to trade Weber back to Nashville , could Nashville buy out the last four years of his contract ? He is scheduled to make 3m,1m,1m,1m in the last four years . A buyout would mean 2/3 so 4 million spread out over 8 years . 500,000 for 8 years.
The alternative for Nashville is far far worse . My question is than would Nashville be allowed to buy him out . And what would they give up to Montreal for saving their ass ? And Montreal could just resign Weber than for another year or two if I’m not mistaken.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
That's a player for player move. Subban was better first 2 years, Weber better last 2. Considering age and term of contract remaining don't think it's safe to call it a win until it's all said and done.
You should go back and check the stats for the first year of that move . Specifically check goals assists points plus minus hits blocked shots Leadership

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Nobody who has a cap circumventing contract has played those $1M years and Weber won't either. Only way he plays is if the Habs are contenders for his age 38 season and Webers is still effective.

Weber has 3 years left really (Age 35-37). High degree of probability

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal’s lack of scoring did them in there . Not Weber’s play . Wouldn’t claim year one that easily

The amount of redirects off a player and in our net was annoying too. That was unlucky but yeah... Habs lack shooters and goal scoring threats. Too many pass happy players who don't shoot in scoring areas cause they don't have confidence in their shot. It's a team flaw

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I am actually . In the last nine years 6 teams have won the cup . 25 teams have not . Does that mean 25 gms are in over Their heads ? Two of those teams were fortunate to get talents like Crosby malkin Kane and toews when they were scraping the bottom. With the exception of one poor signing and one questionable trade he has done quite well in how he obtained Danault , Tatar, Suzuki , Armia, Byron , Petry , Weber , chariot , kulak , edmunson. Etc . Montreal with their high taxes and language barrier isn’t a number one destination for free agents so bergevin’s playing field is a little tilted to begin with .
Through all this he has assembled one of the top prospect pools in the league , a ton of picks in the next two rounds and a competent management of the salary cap that VERY VERY FEW gms seem to grasp .
Some good points........but the results are awful. The 24th place team, with arguably one of the best goalies in the league. Hard to deny he has had very little success in his position. Everyone knows, if he was english he would have been fired by now. He has been given so much rope, he could land on the floor of the grand canyon with it.

Accountability has not existed in Montreal now, for the past 4-5 years. Sad, what has happened for the fans of the team. The promise of something great, and moving goalposts year after year, has worn on me.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The amount of redirects off a player and in our net was annoying too. That was unlucky but yeah... Habs lack shooters and goal scoring threats. Too many pass happy players who don't shoot in scoring areas cause they don't have confidence in their shot. It's a team flaw
I have faith bergevin will land some scoring with size

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Some good points........but the results are awful. The 24th place team, with arguably one of the best goalies in the league. Hard to deny he has had very little success in his position. Everyone knows, if he was english he would have been fired by now. He has been given so much rope, he could land on the floor of the grand canyon with it.

Accountability has not existed in Montreal now, for the past 4-5 years. Sad, what has happened for the fans of the team. The promise of something great, and moving goalposts year after year, has worn on me.
That’s to bad champ . Seems like his position is pretty secure to me so I’m happy . I respect your not a fan of him but I think he’s much better than 20-25 other gms out there . He has 10 million to play with this off season to land /upgrade scoring on the wings . With added scoring Montreal is on even footing with every team in the east outside of Tampa .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
It's his 9th offseason..............at some point this donkey has to get us some scoring...with size. You seem to have way more patience than he deserves.
Are you a Habs fan and if you are we’re you a big fan of subban ?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Are you a Habs fan and if you are we’re you a big fan of subban ?
Habsfan for 50+ years.............and it's never about individual players, never. Bergevin is the biggest joke of a GM we have ever had. Houle was not this bad......Way beyond time to move on from this clown.
We are gonna have to agree to disagree. I hope you are right, 9 years later, and he gets us some scoring, and they have a good season upcoming, whenever that may be, but I am done with this clown....tired of waiting for him to take the training wheels off.
Fire him now, and move forward, his leaving would be addition by subtraction.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Habsfan for 50+ years.............and it's never about individual players, never. Bergevin is the biggest joke of a GM we have ever had. Houle was not this bad......Way beyond time to move on from this clown.
We are gonna have to agree to disagree. I hope you are right, 9 years later, and he gets us some scoring, and they have a good season upcoming, whenever that may be, but I am done with this clown....tired of waiting for him to take the training wheels off.
Well I beg to differ and your avoiding the subban question. You do realize he had to go don’t you ?

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
this is such a bad take, if you dont recognize the good Bergy has done the last 3-4 years you're a lost cause and a trash habs fan

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
this is such a bad take, if you dont recognize the good Bergy has done the last 3-4 years you're a lost cause and a trash habs fan
Even though it’s been me and blong7 debating this I do know where he’s coming from . We’re older and we’re not used to going so long without a cup . Could be worse , we could be like the leafs in the middle of a hundred year rebuild . I agree with you he’s been doing some good work lately but I feel his pain to .

moving forward I really like the future core of Suzuki Kotkaniemi caufield romanov norlinder primeau etc ... should we be building on that foundation all in or should we be adding a couple big scorers to today’s lineup ?

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Building a 24th place team with one of the best goalies in the league, is not a great 3-4 years!!
Thanks for your humour!!
The guy is in so far over his head, the results are in............

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Top pairing dman and armia was playing top 3 minutes for all forwards, and that includes your 4th liner domi and top center danault. Face it... chiarot, armia, kovalchuk, tatar, drouin, domi, Petry, edmondon....all players that weren't good enough to play on other teams..but stars in Montreal. That's like a bum eatting out of the garbage can and saying that is good. They just dont know what good is.
Lol if any fan base knows good teams it’s Montreal. I hope you’re not a Jets fan who got their team taken away haha!
You literally just mentioned players we traded for...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Dallas still thanks you for Ribeiro for a used jockstrap!

Worth it just for this gem of a picture. :DD

BJGIQ.jpg

Reactions: BeastMode

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well the Habs are probably willing to use that 1st on Laine, but I don't know what else they'd have to give up. Seems like Chevy would want a 2c, and that's Danault, with the right to negotiate with his agent. That's a guy we know he was high on, before he left the Blackhawks, and Bergy replaced him. One of the RD Brook, Juulsen or Fleury. Beyond that there's probably more. Chevy is a pretty shrewd negotiator. Bergevin is in the weaker position because he has some cornerstone players that won't be at a high level for too much longer, not to mention a slough of free agent forwards on his plate.

I get the sense that if Laine ever got traded to Montreal he wouldn't be into Fortnite anymore. He'd probably start to be more like Sergei Kostitsyn after a few trips down Ste. Catherines.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Well the Habs are probably willing to use that 1st on Laine, but I don't know what else they'd have to give up. Seems like Chevy would want a 2c, and that's Danault, with the right to negotiate with his agent. That's a guy we know he was high on, before he left the Blackhawks, and Bergy replaced him. One of the RD Brook, Juulsen or Fleury. Beyond that there's probably more. Chevy is a pretty shrewd negotiator. Bergevin is in the weaker position because he has some cornerstone players that won't be at a high level for too much longer, not to mention a slough of free agent forwards on his plate.

I get the sense that if Laine ever got traded to Montreal he wouldn't be into Fortnite anymore. He'd probably start to be more like Sergei Kostitsyn after a few trips down Ste. Catherines.
Been reported the ask is Suzuki and thats where the discussion stopped. Apparently Jets GM wants Suzuki+++ for Laine. So whoever has a Suzuki type Center that they are willing to trade then they will have a chance at Laine. Thing is no GM is biting because the asking price of Suzuki+++ is just too rich for every GM in the league. So either the Jets keep him which is fine and rightfully so I would be asking for the moon too if I was trading him or Chevy lowers his asking price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad