Bergevin takes Autumn by Storm (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That's BS. Yes, the team had to cut salary, but that didn't mean trading Turgeon for a washed up Corson. He had no idea what he was doing and hasn't sniffed an NHL job since his canning. Even Gauthier managed to find work after we canned him.

Peanut was completely uninterested with managing another team. Heck, I'm pretty sure he didn't want to run the Habs, but was a good soldier and said yes when Corey went looking for a puppet..

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's BS. Yes, the team had to cut salary, but that didn't mean trading Turgeon for a washed up Corson. He had no idea what he was doing and hasn't sniffed an NHL job since his canning. Even Gauthier managed to find work after we canned him.
You missed the point with Houle, he did not, and was not a GM....just a company guy who did what he was TOLD. He did not want an NHL job after taking a hit for the Habs.
None of that crap was on Houle, it was Corey, all Corey.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The day Quebec will have his team, Montreal will have to be a dominant team to survive.
The Habs sure could use some competition...the monopoly they have in the city, has people very lazy, and un-accountable in almost every way. Would love to see the Quebec guys get a team, and the return of MLB and shred the millions the Habs are oozing.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

He was a bad GM, no one said otherwise.

That doesn't negate or change the context he was operating in.

Not a difficult thing to understand.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You missed the point with Houle, he did not, and was not a GM....just a company guy who did what he was TOLD. He did not want an NHL job after taking a hit for the Habs.
None of that crap was on Houle, it was Corey, all Corey.

He was essentially what Dorian is to Melnyk. All he has is a title and speaks on behalf of the people who can’t/shouldn’t have the actual GM job.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
He was essentially what Dorian is to Melnyk. All he has is a title and speaks on behalf of the people who can’t/shouldn’t have the actual GM job.
Corey's Muppet . By the way , do you remember if Corey not only put Houle as the GM but also was the one who choose also the coach and his assistants ?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
He was a bad GM, no one said otherwise.

That doesn't negate or change the context he was operating in.

Not a difficult thing to understand.

Everything must be either/or. Just like if you say Bergevin has struggled with UFA, you had better be able to prove that you "would of" landed Stamkos and Tavares.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Corey's Muppet . By the way , do you remember if Corey not only put Houle as the GM but also was the one who choose also the coach and his assistants ?

He for sure chose Mario - they came in as a package together.

I think most fans thought it was a bad idea but actually had no clue just how bad it was.

Reactions: Runner77

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There is nothing Houle did was good. He might have won few minor trades like Weinrich or Souray, he drafted Markov, he got Hmrlik. But his bad trades were the peak of bad trades and moves. Total disaster with HOF player Patrick Roy, washed up with Turgeon and got nothing for Damphousse. That killed the team for good. Only Crazy Milbury can equal this or maybe Houle is the top. Houle is my personal reference for worst gm of all times and he stays alone in his category, at the very top.

Houle wasn't a GM. Was put there to do what Corey wanted. So yeah, worst GM as he had no idea what to do. But somehow, I'd be more dissapointed by a guy who admittedly knew nothing than a guy that thinks he knows everthing and still doesn't deliver after 7 years.

Strange though....Houle has destroyed the team....but nobody really wanted to keep André Savard despite of it....and excuse Gainey because of what Houle did.....why not hope Savard stays around and understand that he is the one who inherited Houle's team?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Work as GM? Or as friend of the family?

And yes, nobody said Houle was a Good Gm...'cause he wasn't a GM. He was Corey's friend that accepted to take the call and go to war for the team he loved. Got screwed. And so did we.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We are 19th in the league. Never thought one day the fans of the Montreal Canadiens would consider this a great beginning of a season. Man has the standards declined over the years ... thank god for MB the savior of hot dogs and the subduer of legs days. The only man in the history of mankind with big enough biceps to wear purple pants in a manly way. ALL HAIL TO THE KING!

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Houle wasn't a GM. Was put there to do what Corey wanted. So yeah, worst GM as he had no idea what to do. But somehow, I'd be more dissapointed by a guy who admittedly knew nothing than a guy that thinks he knows everthing and still doesn't deliver after 7 years.

Strange though....Houle has destroyed the team....but nobody really wanted to keep André Savard despite of it....and excuse Gainey because of what Houle did.....why not hope Savard stays around and understand that he is the one who inherited Houle's team?
Houle (and Corey his boss) destroyed the team so much that any good thing Savard did went under the radar and Gainey suffered from Houle decisions done 5 years before. That whole 15 years era settled down the expectations of Habs team (and Habs fan) and here we are being happy just the team compete to make the PO, making it one year out of 3, eliminated in first or second round when we make it.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Houle (and Corey his boss) destroyed the team so much that any good thing Savard did went under the radar and Gainey suffered from Houle decisions done 5 years before. That whole 15 years era settled down the expectations of Habs team (and Habs fan) and here we are being happy just the team compete to make the PO, making it one year out of 3, eliminated in first or second round when we make it.
Who's happy? Outside of a handful of Bergey supporters, most are unhappy.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
How can Matt Duchene not be a secondary asset when you are considering Cammalleri as one?

Cammy was 13th in scoring in the entire league just before we signed him. That's not secondary. Same with Gionta, scoring 30 goals in 60 games in his first season here, that's not secondary, it's better than any scoring rate Duchene has had over a season. Same with Cole.

See what I did there with that question? I showed your bias, i showed the false balance you're trying to portray, based on a freehanded use of the word secondary.

If Duchene is not secondary, neither were Cammalleri and to a lesser extent, Gionta.

My point was that what little power we had to attract UFAs, and clearly, we had some over the Gainey years, which rolled over to Gauthier's benefit, which was wilted and wasted away by Bergevin with very questionable actions and words.
And players talk. These guys played with and against each other at tournaments and juniors. When people ask me about our company, I say stay away we have a terrible management team that is nothing but cronyism and nepotism. I swear our present management group is willfully neglecting the company to line their own pockets. So its bad enough living with poor management all day every day at work, but then I watch similar actions of the Habs and its Deja Vu.

No one will come here if word is our management is terrible. Only guys looking to get some kind of contract that wouldn't be provided by other clubs. Funny Radulov is a mercenary, but guys like Chariot aren't. The only thing that doesn't make him a mercenary is no other club would have given Alzner 2.0 that kind of contract...oh right another mercenary. I guess in MBs eyes the only mercenaries are those guys good enough to find employment elsewhere instead of being an over paid scrub on the habs.

Reactions: habsfan891

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
We are 19th in the league. Never thought one day the fans of the Montreal Canadiens would consider this a great beginning of a season. Man has the standards declined over the years ... thank god for MB the savior of hot dogs and the subduer of legs days. The only man in the history of mankind with big enough biceps to wear purple pants in a manly way. ALL HAIL TO THE KING!
The standings are extremely close. 1 win vaults us over like 6 or 7 teams.

It's a decent start given the Habs have some of the best advanced metrics in the league and how some guys are looking like they will make an impact. We had a scary schedule to start the yeat. Also, the strength of the prospect pool. It's promising at the very least.

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad