Bergevin takes Autumn by Storm (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
One thing Houle did that was great? Even the worst GM can do somesthing fine....Souray and 2nd rounder for Malakhov. Hackett and Weinrick for Thibault, Manson. Also, a Houle, who wasn't a GM, had to deal with the Patrick Roy awful situation. But yes, he screwed up there. Screwed up in the Damphousse trade. And in the Turgeon trade. Amongst a few other things. Yet again....Corey is the game responsible for this whole mess. Houle answered the call. He should not have done it. But he did to the best of his abilities which were limited. History has no idea how the Habs would have been with Roy in net and the same core with Damphousse and Co.

Problem with Bergevin is that by how he conducts himself, he thinks his abilities are twice his biceps......

I'd love to know what Bergevin could do if Price openly ask for a trade...

Last edited:
Reactions: habsfan891

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
One thing Houle did that was great? Even the worst GM can do somesthing fine....Souray and 2nd rounder for Malakhov. Hackett and Weinrick for Thibault, Manson. Also, a Houle, who wasn't a GM, had to deal with the Patrick Roy awful situation. But yes, he screwed up there. Screwed up in the Damphousse trade. And in the Turgeon trade. Amongst a few other things. Yet again....Corey is the game responsible for this whole mess. Houle answered the call. He should not have done it. But he did to the best of his abilities which were limited. History has no idea how the Habs would have been with Roy in net and the same core with Damphousse and Co.

Problem with Bergevin is that by how he conducts himself, he thinks his abilities are twice his biceps......

I'd love to know what Bergevin could do if Price openly ask for a trade...

you all may not believe this,
I sat with Houle and had a beer in when MTL was in EDM, long story why, but it was really cool

He asked me in joking what I would do with the habs line up, I said 2 things

1. Never trade Roy
2. Sign Mark Recchi to a contract,

he did neither, and got fired...lol
should have listened to me,

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Out of curiosity, how big is the difference between marginal players and slightly less marginal players?

Because apparently MB thinks there’s a huge gap, locking those complimentary pieces long term(or at least longer than a supporting cast pedigree would warrant).

We don’t even have all the main pieces in place yet we’re holding on to dime a dozen guys that should be the finishing touch once the rest is in place

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Out of curiosity, how big is the difference between marginal players and slightly less marginal players?

Because apparently MB thinks there’s a huge gap, locking those complimentary pieces long term(or at least longer than a supporting cast pedigree would warrant).

We don’t even have all the main pieces in place yet we’re holding on to dime a dozen guys that should be the finishing touch once the rest is in place
Every year he focuses on depth while we lack top 6 and D talent, every year it's the same. The depth ends up playing more than they should and it verifies why they are known as depth players in the first place. Also, with the way things are done here, it wouldn't matter if we drafted the next McDavid, he would play behind the Thompsons and Weals of the NHL. We played DD over Galchenyuk and look how that turned out, we are doing it again with KK, it is as if they think that their way of doing things is correct and are not swaying the course at all.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

"You can never have too many fourth liners". Marc Bergevin.

Reactions: Takeru

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Every year he focuses on depth while we lack top 6 and D talent, every year it's the same. The depth ends up playing more than they should and it verifies why they are known as depth players in the first place. Also, with the way things are done here, it wouldn't matter if we drafted the next McDavid, he would play behind the Thompsons and Weals of the NHL. We played DD over Galchenyuk and look how that turned out, we are doing it again with KK, it is as if they think that their way of doing things is correct and are not swaying the course at all.
Furthermore, even when they play in the right spot, it makes it all the more ridiculous.

Take Byron, first year of his four seasons deal, 3.4M already sitting on the fourth line.

A handful of others on the first year of a two-three year deals are in the stands or in the Ahl.

Why you would commit repeatedly to those deals vs any cheap 1yr contract is beyond me at the stage we’re at.

Throwing money out the window, then letting what litttle actual talent we had at some point leave through the front door.

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
One thing Houle did that was great? Even the worst GM can do somesthing fine....Souray and 2nd rounder for Malakhov. Hackett and Weinrick for Thibault, Manson. Also, a Houle, who wasn't a GM, had to deal with the Patrick Roy awful situation. But yes, he screwed up there. Screwed up in the Damphousse trade. And in the Turgeon trade. Amongst a few other things.

Our center line when houle comes in:
Turgeon, Damphousse, Koivu

Two years later:
Koivu, Zholtok, Zubrus, Thornton (Scott)

Houle, Corey and Tremblay did SO MUCH DAMAGE to this franchise we still haven't quite fully recovered..

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
And the summer is over. I remember reading many of his loyal followers proclaim that they were done with him if he went through the summer and training camp without making improvements to the team and alas here we are.

I remember that from past years. No way we play with all that cap space.

Then cap space jokes were banned.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
you all may not believe this,
I sat with Houle and had a beer in when MTL was in EDM, long story why, but it was really cool

He asked me in joking what I would do with the habs line up, I said 2 things

1. Never trade Roy
2. Sign Mark Recchi to a contract,

he did neither, and got fired...lol
should have listened to me,

You should have told him your user name. :dunno:

Reactions: habsfan891

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And the summer is over. I remember reading many of his loyal followers proclaim that they were done with him if he went through the summer and training camp without making improvements to the team and alas here we are.

Yeah but quickly reverted back to defense once the puck dropped.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin has a lot more freedom than Houle did, so comparing the two is really unfair to the latter.
Houle had a 30M payroll that had to be cut.......Corey was the issue there, not Houle. Reggie did not want that job...he took it, but was a sacrificial lamb.

MB has had carte blance for everything, and still made a mess...and is still full arrogant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad