Confirmed with Link: Bergevin meeting with the media at 5:30 today

Status
Not open for further replies.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I really don't think that's true at all. Everyone would understand that some offers can't be refused and that's that. The only words that matter are the ones that are written in the contract "No trade/movement clause". Still there are probably some no-no such as signing a player and trading him right away. But the above doesn't qualify in my opinion, I really don't think it would have the effect you say it would have.

I agree with what your saying, business is business. I guess I am still thinking in a public persona sort of angle. He would be torn apart by the media and if we thought it was bad on the boards before, look out if Bergevin went back on his word.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
this is how MB rolls
its all about protecting himself and his image
always coming out and being nebulous about things
so it can never be on him and looks like a star whichever way it falls

if pk stays..he says i told you so in conference
if pk goes ..he covers and says " like i said i cant stop offers from coming in "

MB it all about the image

What's wrong with that. Either scenario our team ends up better provided he gets an offer that substantially makes us better.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I haven't seen a single trade proposal for Subban that didn't make the defence horribly worse. If we lose him, then our other superstar is at jeopardy.

Do you take the calls for Marc? Or you BLINDLY base your opinions on stuff that circulates around the league to pay insiders salaries and to boost internet traffic all over the net?

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
how is that stupid bridge contract working for you now mr bergevin? if subban is traded because of his cap hit, I want bergevin fired
I will stop following the habs even if they draft 5 russians, Subban is SUBBAN! A super star

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Do you take the calls for Marc? Or you BLINDLY base your opinions on stuff that circulates around the league to pay insiders salaries and to boost internet traffic all over the net?

I don't claim to be an insider, nor does anyone else here. We're sharing opinions. If you cannot tolerate opinions that don't match yours, you're in the wrong place my friend.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I'm honestly disgusted with Bergevin and the Habs now. Absolutely no humility, no ownership of their own mistakes, just excuses for anything bad and taking credit for anything good.

He basically said since he and Michel have been in Montreal PK has become elite...basically taking credit for his success. Sorry bud, he was already well on his way. Can't imagine what PK would be like if he had Larry Robinson as a coach instead of these clowns.

This is coming from a huge Bergevin fan too btw...not anymore. I'm sick to my stomach over this. I honestly don't care what the return is because it could never (realistically be enough).

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What's not necessary is for you to suggest that people who don't agree with you aren't fans. No one is putting one guy ahead of the team. The dissenting opinion is that virtually every trade scenario makes the team worse.

I didn't said that , i said that they're fans , but more fans of PK than the team...

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
I'm honestly disgusted with Bergevin and the Habs now. Absolutely no humility, no ownership of their own mistakes, just excuses for anything bad and taking credit for anything good.

He basically said since he and Michel have been in Montreal PK has become elite...basically taking credit for his success. Sorry bud, he was already well on his way. Can't imagine what PK would be like if he had Larry Robinson as a coach instead of these clowns.

This is coming from a huge Bergevin fan too btw...not anymore. I'm sick to my stomach over this. I honestly don't care what the return is because it could never (realistically be enough).

agree with you
subban was already a super star when he entered the league as a rookie during the playoffs...

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Inteliigently? Really? The personal attacks, name calling (ie BargainBin), personal agendas, there's really no much of it that I would refer to as intelligent.

I don't use those terms and there are hundreds of regular posters who also do not. You seem to want to lump everyone who disagrees with you into a singularity.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I didn't said that , i said that they're fans , but more fans of PK than the team...

Probably because its easier for them to root for Subban than the perceived opposing force (MB/MT).

The true Scotsman fallacy is not needed.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't claim to be an insider, nor does anyone else here. We're sharing opinions. If you cannot tolerate opinions that don't match yours, you're in the wrong place my friend.

Is my english so bad? Did I call you an insider?

You said that all the trade proposals you saw , thy all sucked , and we would be depleted in term of D , right?

I told you that all the stuff that circulates all over the net particularly cuz of those paid to do so insiders can be often far away from what really happens behind the close doors when MB picks up the phone.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

"How can you even compare giving a vote of confidence to your head coach versus a player??? This is just unreal!"

You're supporting management, not the team. The team includes management, coaches, players, scouts, etc. The horn you're blowing is all sour notes.

Give us a trade scenario where the team is better off trading PK, please.

mobifree

Cellphone Unlocker
Jul 18, 2011
Toronto
www.mobifree.net

I didn't know MB and MT were in the Canadiens organization when the Subban was already their best d-man when the Canadiens eliminated the Capitals and then the Penguins.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I didn't know MB and MT were in the Canadiens organization when the Subban was already their best d-man when the Canadiens eliminated the Capitals and then the Penguins.

NO KIDDING! And in a total shutdown role. He was all over Crosby as a 20-21 yr old with Crosby at the top of his game. Crazy. MB needs a stiff kick in the nards.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Is my english so bad? Did I call you an insider?

You said that all the trade proposals you saw , thy all sucked , and we would be depleted in term of D , right?

I told you that all the stuff that circulates all over the net particularly cuz of those paid to do so insiders can be often far away from what really happens behind the close doors when MB picks up the phone.

The point is that it simply doesn't matter whether the trades discussed come from. None of us knows any details for certain. We're simply discussing scenarios. Whether they might be good or bad for the team.

Do you think if we even get Taylor Hall in a trade for Subban that we can deal him in a package for OEL or Doughty or Karlssen? Those guys are immovable. Subban should be too. We will never replace him in a time frame that coincides with our window.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Hearing all these rumours at first I really thought it was a joke. Is the Montreal management really this freaking dumb?!? Wow....the backlash from a trade like this would be crazy. What if the french hero draft pick #4 busts? Who the heck will play d? If I'm Price I pack my bags from now, no chance I resign with them.

This needs a GM with balls to actually come out and say "no chance I will trade Subban" just like how he said MT will not get fired & he had the worst runs in franchise history. F this team....:rant:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
What? Did i wrote that? I just said that i'm supporting a team (hockey is a team game ) and i will never put one guy ahead of that team . If by trading that guy the team gets better , do it! What's the problem?

Blindly? no need of this

The issue is the guy in charge of trading him hasn't been able to rake in any core players in 4 years. How are we supposed to trust that he and the pro scouting staff can identify talent to make team better? The jersey/crest doesn't make trades.

Defending Bergevin doesn't mean you are putting team above individual. He's just as much of an individual as the players...if fact he makes more than most of the Habs players $$$ wise.

The issue with your argument is you assume if a trade is done it'll make the team better. There is little to support that this is even remotely close to being a certainty.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Why hold a press conference to begin with? The guy is a dimwit, can't believe you give him so much support.

Of course they're not trading Subban, and I'm not surprised Bergevin didn't completely kill the idea. We don't hear about how Subban is an awesome teammate and will be the first one to jump into a scrum to defend a top player like Price or Max, or a bottom liner like Mitchell or Flynn. How he practices as hard as he plays a regular game. How his need to win/competitiveness tops anybody else's. How his heart is as big as it can be. How he's arguably the best Dman in the NHL.
They never say things like that. Instead, we hear about how he needs to settle down, how he's a special character, how he needs to be a better person, how ya he's good but we want him to be great, how he's tradeable, etc...

Speaking of Subban has they have is what lead to all this crap and media fabrication. They propped him up to be a selfish teammate who's not unanimous in the room. So the rumor mill starts there.
If they propped him up to be the best teammate in the world and a MVP potential player, which he is, nobody would invent these scenarios about trading him.

I'm not surprised though, this management group is terrible. They need a new publicist asap.

He was forced to hold a press conference. Simple as that. If it were up to him, he would not have met the press.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

I didn't see the conference but judging from the responses it wasn't worth seeing. Sounds like a typical BargainBin press conference.

On Subban being dealt: Says "no" but in a way that can be left for people to still find reasons to misinterpret his true goal rather than growing a pair and giving a flat out "No. Never going to happen".

For people making excuses that he can't say that just in case an over the moon type offer becomes available, nobody is going to complain if Bergevin trades Subban along with a jar of vaseline for a kings ransom even if he says "Never going to happen!". If it makes the team much better and the other GM gets bent over, people won't care that a day prior he said he wouldn't do it, they'll just care about the result of the GM doing his damn job.

As for anything related to UFA's, trades, drafting an elite player where we pick: Typical Bergevin excuses "dats too hard in the league today", apparently he's or GM but the only thing he's good at is making excuses as to why he can't do his job, while other GM's seem perfectly capable of doing the things he claims he can't do.

Did I miss anything? Or was it his typical BS schpeel?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
#1 - Why must Subban be traded?

#2 - How does trading Subban make the Canadiens a better team?

1. He doesn't have to be, but you have to give, to get
2. If this is what it takes to get PLD, it's a marketing wet dream for ownership.. a couple young bucks thrown in with a pick, is icing on the cake.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
1. He doesn't have to be, but you have to give, to get
2. If this is what it takes to get PLD, it's a marketing wet dream for ownership.. a couple young bucks thrown in with a pick, is icing on the cake.

So you're saying a Francophone prospect is more important than a top calibre defense? Okay then. Trade Subban!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad