Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
this is how MB rolls
its all about protecting himself and his image
always coming out and being nebulous about things
so it can never be on him and looks like a star whichever way it falls

if pk stays..he says i told you so in conference
if pk goes ..he covers and says " like i said i cant stop offers from coming in "

MB it all about the image

agreed

and Therrien constantly deflecting

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
2003-04 Penguins Goals: 190 Ranked in Goals: 22

Moron dump and chase strangler of high end talent Therrien steps in

2005-06 Penguins Goals: 243 Ranked in Goals :18

2006-07 Penguins Goals: 267 Ranked in Goals : 3

2007-08 Penguins Goals: 240 Ranked in Goals : 7

2008-09 Penguins Goals: 258 Ranked in Goals : 6

Not bad for a defensive minded coach who kills all offense and strangles all the offensive talent ...

03 04 190 goals for Pens....05/ 06 Crosby and Malkin join team. Scoring immediately went up.

How did they do immediately after Michelle was fired?

Rank the same seasons in powerplay stats with league rankings. Dropped like a stone in water under Michelle. Big surprise I know.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bergevin could tattoo on his forehead "I'm never trading PK" and Edmonton fans would still be posting "Yakupov, RNH and 4th for Subban?"

Just like we Habs fans have posted all the hypothetical trades that are going to bring us hypothetical star players.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Habs are going nowhere until three thing change.

They finally get an elite center man.

An NHL caliber coaching staff.

An NHL Caliber GM.

What really pi$$e$ me off ....... Toronto will have all three by tonight.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's not about if he can make other teams stop calling. 'CAuse he could. By saying, DON'T CALL ME ABOUT PK HE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

But does he want to? Clearly, he doesn't want to make them stop. That's obvious. It still won't work though. Way too scary in the end for him.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We all want MB to do something to help the team but when he has an opportunity to do that many want him to stay the course cause they like PK. I have zero issue with anything he said, he made it clear there is no friction with the team and PK, that he's not shopping him, yes he's listening (strangely enough to 2 of the GMs that he has to talk to if he wants to move up so should he hang up when Subban's name is mentioned?), but if there's an offer he can't refuse then he would pull the trigger so he can't guarantee PK will never be traded. Perfect I say. If he comes back with Magic Beans by all means lynch him in the street, IF Subban moved and we ended up with a potential #1b C in Draisaitl of Horvat, an above average D-man or prospect like Nurse or Tanev, plus a Top prospect with the 4/5 pick in Dubois (or even Tkachuk) and we could flip #9 for immediate help either at wing like JVR or another D like Fowler or Barrie we have an arguably better overall team tmrw than we do today and likely a longer contending window with those cheaper contracts. That's his job and honestly he hasn't been doing it very well so has to start sometime.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Then why not say that about all of his players?

Can't believe that people are ok with this. Yea...single out one player and sat he may be traded...one of the best players on the team because you were an idiot by forcing a bridge deal down his throat and he far exceeded your expectations of him? Bergy looks like an absolute fool here.

And telling the media you're not trading a player doesn't do jack to stop any gm from still trying. LMAO.

We can trade Subban. We still have MT and a massive hole at the position as well as wing and C.
He DID say that about all of his players, both yesterday and in May

But you guys don't want to hear it, you've made up your mind and anything he says, doesnt matter

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You can't be serious about what you're writing ... Did you even tried to listen to this pre draft so called conference press ???

The hate is completely overpowering your reasoning... seriously

The media asked him 90% of questions about PK! And you are asking why he's not saying the same thing about other players? hilarious

Did anybody asked something about any other players? Or he should just get there in front of the media and start talking about Gallagher and Pacioretty ?

If you would've took the time to listen to what he said , maybe you would've noticed that at one moment he said that the calls he gets are nothing special and that he got the same calls a couple of years ago for another star player on the team but the player is still on the team.

I feel like it's just useless to try and argue

It's pretty unbelievable....i don't know if people are purposely ignoring what he says or just aren't able to grasp it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's not about if he can make other teams stop calling. 'CAuse he could. By saying, DON'T CALL ME ABOUT PK HE'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

But does he want to? Clearly, he doesn't want to make them stop. That's obvious. It still won't work though. Way too scary in the end for him.

And why would he or should he say "don't call me about PK he's not going anywhere" ???

I think he wouldn't be doing his job if that's the case

This place is odd....Bergevin gets a ton of heat for his inaction

Now those same people want him to ignore calls about one of his best players????

There's just no pleasing a certain segment of this fanbase, the rabid fans who just want blood no matter who is the GM or coach.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
And why would he or should he say "don't call me about PK he's not going anywhere" ???

Now those same people want him to ignore calls about one of his best players????

There's just no pleasing a certain segment of this fanbase, the rabid fans who just want blood no matter who is the GM or coach.

So you don't believe in players being untouchable? For you, everyboyd can be had? The day that you start realizing that a #1 d-man is incredibly important, and that even a GM comes out and say that there's actually 12 of them in the league....you don't think it's important to keep him?

You don't think that even if you say outloud, DON'T CALL ME that GM's are wise enough so that if they have an insane offer that depletes their team but they are so much in love with PK that they don't care...that they STILL won't call Bergie? How's serious is all this when Bergie says "If a team want to give me half of their team, I'll listen"? How about you stop all this, go out and say HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE so that would stop people from thining he is and yet wouldn't stop other teams from offering insane package?

Unless...you are REALLY looking to move him? How about realizing that? So instead of pretending that he doesn't want to move him and that in between the multple empty statements he makes, that somehow, you could come to the conclusion that maybe, surely, he doesn't want him gone.....just acknowledge that maybe he does. And that the only thing separating him from moving him is just a great offer that he hasn,t received yet?

But then.....how's that for an evaluation of a GM to not recoznige the importance of a stud d-man especially if you don't get one in return and especially since your #2 is on the verge of retiring and that there's NO prospects that could eventually real soon take his place?

All this is IF he has some intention of moving him.....which somehow we will not know 'cause Bergevin, for the sake of "doing his job" can't say that a player is untouchable.

What if the quesetion would be asked about Price? Would he say the same thing? A wise journalist would have tried that quesetion to see what he really thinks about PK.....

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You're ignoring the fact the rumors being spread about why he's accepting calls for PK is that he's a nuisance in the room. He did nothing to kill those rumors. Simple as that.
People speak as if it's some kind of fact that PK is a problem player, which is ridiculous. Not surprising though, they've done nothing but feed into this belief.

I would bet you anything that if this were Price, Bergevin would have no second thought about shooting down any rumor.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just going to post a few excerpts from yesterday for people who apparently missed a few things from the presser

Bergevin isn’t surprised Chiarelli has called, or any other GMs. “It’s part of their due diligence. Same thing when I hear a name out there. I’ve called teams on players in the past where I was 99.9 percent certain I wasn’t getting that guy, but I still call,†said Bergevin.

“P.K. is an all-star defenceman. He’s extremely good. If I was another team I’d call, too.â€

What would it take to get Subban out of Montreal?

“You never say never … I mean if somebody offered half their team I might be able to make it work, but it’s not my intention to do so,†said Bergevin, who really can’t understand why Subban’s name keeps coming up. “He’s a different person, off the ice he’s busy. He performs, he works, he’s on time. He’s great in the community.â€

Bergevin shot down the idea that there was a disconnect in the organization because of Subban’s flashy demeanour. He casts a big aura in Montreal. “He doesn’t do anything bad off the ice … he wears clothes close to mine, maybe a little more colour,†joked Bergevin. “There’s nothin wrong with having personality. We want players to be themselves. They are not robots.â€

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
It's pretty unbelievable....i don't know if people are purposely ignoring what he says or just aren't able to grasp it.

That's incredibly funny. So...he can't say he's untouchable 'cause he wouldn't be doing his job. Yet, YOU are able to read that.....so.....why can other GM's read that too? How are you able to tell that Bergevin really has no intention of trading him....but not other GM's? So most GM's are like us who were waiting for a more definitive answer? And aren't like you who are able to read between the lines?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
“You never say never … I mean if somebody offered half their team I might be able to make it work, but it’s not my intention to do so,” said Bergevin, who really can’t understand why Subban’s name keeps coming up. “He’s a different person, off the ice he’s busy. He performs, he works, he’s on time. He’s great in the community.”

Bergevin shot down the idea that there was a disconnect in the organization because of Subban’s flashy demeanour. He casts a big aura in Montreal. “He doesn’t do anything bad off the ice … he wears clothes close to mine, maybe a little more colour,” joked Bergevin. “There’s nothing wrong with having personality. We want players to be themselves. They are not robots.”

How can you be so stupid that you have no idea why his name is coming up.....oh maybe that's because his coach is always on his back and keeps bashing him? Oh so they are not robots...but stop this triple low five and behave PK! And he's not able to put him in the untouchable category the way he does for Price so why the hell would we talk about PK? Oh and the whole contract issue that this management wasn,t able to settle it before and recognize his talent...that's NOT another indiciation that they might not see him the way he's suppose to be seen?

So he really has no idea why? Scary. Maybe they should stop thinking that the rest of the world is incorrect and start looking at how they address things. Maybe then he'll understand. But since this management is never at fault for anything, of course it's the rest of the world that is the problem.....

Habs4ev*

Dec 18, 2015
So, the point of the press conf was to?? Let the fans know again, he's not trying to trade PK?? That's it?

the point was to make it clear that he is sitting on the fence,

"Asked if it was realistic that a trade could take place with Subban, who's posted more points than every defenceman but Erik Karlsson over the past five seasons, Bergevin replied: "I would say no."

if PK is not traded MB can say "see i said no, in the pre draft presser"

"Of course you never say never," he added later.

if PK is traded he can say "i said never say never, in the pre draft presser"

so he has covered himself either way,

it was all about protecting himself and his image, which seems to be more important then improving the team

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So you don't believe in players being untouchable? For you, everyboyd can be had? The day that you start realizing that a #1 d-man is incredibly important, and that even a GM comes out and say that there's actually 12 of them in the league....you don't think it's important to keep him?

You don't think that even if you say outloud, DON'T CALL ME that GM's are wise enough so that if they have an insane offer that depletes their team but they are so much in love with PK that they don't care...that they STILL won't call Bergie? How's serious is all this when Bergie says "If a team want to give me half of their team, I'll listen"? How about you stop all this, go out and say HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE so that would stop people from thining he is and yet wouldn't stop other teams from offering insane package?

Unless...you are REALLY looking to move him? How about realizing that? So instead of pretending that he doesn't want to move him and that in between the multple empty statements he makes, that somehow, you could come to the conclusion that maybe, surely, he doesn't want him gone.....just acknowledge that maybe he does. And that the only thing separating him from moving him is just a great offer that he hasn,t received yet?

But then.....how's that for an evaluation of a GM to not recoznige the importance of a stud d-man especially if you don't get one in return and especially since your #2 is on the verge of retiring and that there's NO prospects that could eventually real soon take his place?

All this is IF he has some intention of moving him.....which somehow we will not know 'cause Bergevin, for the sake of "doing his job" can't say that a player is untouchable.

What if the quesetion would be asked about Price? Would he say the same thing? A wise journalist would have tried that quesetion to see what he really thinks about PK.....
That's the thing, no one has asked me about other players, even if he himself has said that he listens to offers for ALL his players.

as soon as it involves PK Subban, it swallows up everything else, I'm starting to understand why so many people say he's a distraction - only problem with that theory is that we're all guilty of creating that distraction

Look at yesterday, the press conference was supposed to be about the draft but it ended up being 90% about PK Subban

He's become bigger than the draft itself!

And to answer your question - yes, I do believe that certain players are untouchable.

But there's no such player on the current Habs roster IMO

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You're ignoring the fact the rumors being spread about why he's accepting calls for PK is that he's a nuisance in the room. He did nothing to kill those rumors. Simple as that.
People speak as if it's some kind of fact that PK is a problem player, which is ridiculous. Not surprising though, they've done nothing but feed into this belief.

I would bet you anything that if this were Price, Bergevin would have no second thought about shooting down any rumor.

Yes he did actually...but you didn't take the time or care to listen to him silence the rumors about Subban

You've got your mind made up already

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's incredibly funny. So...he can't say he's untouchable 'cause he wouldn't be doing his job. Yet, YOU are able to read that.....so.....why can other GM's read that too? How are you able to tell that Bergevin really has no intention of trading him....but not other GM's? So most GM's are like us who were waiting for a more definitive answer? And aren't like you who are able to read between the lines?

I don't know if he has no intention of trading him....but that's what he said his intention was, to not trade him

So all I can do it take him at his word but it's not like I think it's iron clad either

The logistics of pulling off a trade of that magnitude tell me Subban's going nowhere, I can figure that out myself

I don't need the GM to make a statement that's verbatim to what I want to hear, to satisfy my own created demons about Subban being moved

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How can you be so stupid that you have no idea why his name is coming up.....oh maybe that's because his coach is always on his back and keeps bashing him? Oh so they are not robots...but stop this triple low five and behave PK! And he's not able to put him in the untouchable category the way he does for Price so why the hell would we talk about PK? Oh and the whole contract issue that this management wasn,t able to settle it before and recognize his talent...that's NOT another indiciation that they might not see him the way he's suppose to be seen?

So he really has no idea why? Scary. Maybe they should stop thinking that the rest of the world is incorrect and start looking at how they address things. Maybe then he'll understand. But since this management is never at fault for anything, of course it's the rest of the world that is the problem.....
Or maybe the world needs to stop making a mountain out of every Subban molehill?

That has never become more apparent to me than yesterday.

Subban-o-mania!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Whitesnake: Was it with you yesterday that we were debating what Bergevin should have said?

You said you would of liked to hear Subban say that it would take a significant offer, like half a team being traded in order to move Subban

well...Bergevin said EXACTLY this yesterday, but that STILL wasn't enough.

I apologize if it wasn't with you I actually had this debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille