Confirmed with Link: Bergevin meeting with the media at 5:30 today

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Actually i'm not gonna agree with you, MT never had the guns to go full attack , that's why he preached a more tight type of hockey cuz we had the best goalie and a strong D .

It's actually what any coach would do ... play your strong cards...

He gets a lot of critic but you have to realistically evaluate the roster. We don't have a team to open up the game and go toe to toe with other offensive minded teams, it would be stupid.

The guy strangled the Crosby/Malkin-led Pens offense, with a regressive dump and chase, sit back, defensive-oriented system and got fired 20 games before the playoffs because of it.

Do you just pull stuff out of your ass to try and make a point? Or did he not have enough ''guns to go full attack'' there too.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
690 spent hours speculating about what MB could get for PK.

Same here (actually days if not weeks).

Danny Dube says there is a 75% chance that PK is traded.
Martin McGuire says there is a 35% chance that PK is traded.

And to be frank, the only thing MB said was: we listen. Never said more...:shakehead:popcorn:

What I find funny is that nobody asked him if he was receiving phone calls for Price, Patches or Gallagher.
He must receive those calls but he listens and does not divulge them.

C mom , let's stop with this subban stuff. He's nit being traded. Bergevin would be crucified. It's a trade that makes us worse not better. Im a vocal critic of bergevin but he's not that dumb. It's not happening

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Well actually you know why people are calling him? Because he was smart enough to leave the door juuuust a little bit open and didn't close it firmly like a lot here want him to do .

Then why not say that about all of his players?

Can't believe that people are ok with this. Yea...single out one player and sat he may be traded...one of the best players on the team because you were an idiot by forcing a bridge deal down his throat and he far exceeded your expectations of him? Bergy looks like an absolute fool here.

And telling the media you're not trading a player doesn't do jack to stop any gm from still trying. LMAO.

We can trade Subban. We still have MT and a massive hole at the position as well as wing and C.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
We don't have the coaching staff to compete in an offensive minded system, and Bergevin isn't about to replace his foxhole buddy. Honestly, we have a better shot by strengthening the d corps and trying to win 2-1.

This. It's like people forget what coach we have. It's scary that Bergevin is ready to trade core players ahead of changing the coach who stifles offense. She me one needs to take over the wheel here.

HABS FIRST

Jun 17, 2016
This GM never liked the fact that his president had to intervene to sign PK.
He is very arrogant like his coach and is trying every which way to make him feel uneasy with the help of the French media.
Sooner or later PK will be asking to trade him and he will get his wish.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The guy strangled the Crosby/Malkin-led Pens offense, with a regressive dump and chase, sit back, defensive-oriented system and got fired 20 games before the playoffs because of it.

Do you just pull stuff out of your ass to try and make a point? Or did he not have enough ''guns to go full attack'' there too.

Can you be more polite and double check your stuff before getting on people without any reason?

Wow this is just unbelievable !!! Like what in the world ???

Freaking Crosby and Malkin had damn career high in points under the stupid useful dump and chase moron MT !!!!!!!!

How this is even possible to write such BS and be so proud of yourself without even knowing what the heck you're talking about?

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Since 2011-12, Patches is 5th in this list behind Ovechkin, Stamkos, Pavelski and Perry.
Ahead of Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Kane and Kessel.

But he is paid less than anyone in the top-50 unless I am wrong.
Actually, Ladd and Backes are making the same money as him but they should get a significant raise on July 1st.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
I really think that the only real trade partner is Edmonton. They have a lot of young studs , a lot of cap space and they clearly need a solid D to make them a better team.

If they're willing to pay the price then Bergevin should do it . We have the best goaltender in the world in nets i'm sure we can do well even loosing PK if we start scoring close to 3 goals a game.

How can we score 3 goals a night if we are stuck in our zone? Defense also mean more time in the o-zone. We can't afford to lose PK, he's the main reason we had very good advance stats last year, despite not scoring or winning. We need to replace the "tire-pois" up front, not weakening our defense. Carey Price can't clear the puck off his zone. It's almost impossible to find a real no1 d-man, why trade him for question marks? Prospects are prospects. Taking PLD (and+) for Subban is not a marketing wet dream. It would be a nightmare for the kid to take the pressure.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Then why not say that about all of his players?

Can't believe that people are ok with this. Yea...single out one player and sat he may be traded...one of the best players on the team because you were an idiot by forcing a bridge deal down his throat and he far exceeded your expectations of him? Bergy looks like an absolute fool here.

And telling the media you're not trading a player doesn't do jack to stop any gm from still trying. LMAO.

We can trade Subban. We still have MT and a massive hole at the position as well as wing and C.

You can't be serious about what you're writing ... Did you even tried to listen to this pre draft so called conference press ???

The hate is completely overpowering your reasoning... seriously

The media asked him 90% of questions about PK! And you are asking why he's not saying the same thing about other players? hilarious

Did anybody asked something about any other players? Or he should just get there in front of the media and start talking about Gallagher and Pacioretty ?

If you would've took the time to listen to what he said , maybe you would've noticed that at one moment he said that the calls he gets are nothing special and that he got the same calls a couple of years ago for another star player on the team but the player is still on the team.

I feel like it's just useless to try and argue

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Can you be more polite and double check your stuff before getting on people without any reason?

Wow this is just unbelievable !!! Like what in the world ???

Freaking Crosby and Malkin had damn career high in points under the stupid useful dump and chase moron MT !!!!!!!!

How this is even possible to write such BS and be so proud of yourself without even knowing what the heck you're talking about?

Is this sarcasm?

Or are you honestly trying to tell me Crosby and Malkin having good individual seasons means Pens entire team didn't struggle offensively that year Therrien got fired? It's well documented, he was playing them the same he is now here.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Is this sarcasm?

Or are you honestly trying to tell me Crosby and Malkin having good individual seasons means Pens entire team didn't struggle offensively that year Therrien got fired? It's well documented, he was playing them the same he is now here.

Like just stop... how can you even try to keep making a point when i clearly turned your point into dust ?

You can't have "The guy strangled the Crosby/Malkin-led Pens offense" and Crosby/Malkin having career high in points under the same guy ....

So all the other coaches after MT strangled them even more or what ?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Like just stop... how can you even try to keep making a point when i clearly turned your point into dust ?

You can't have "The guy strangled the Crosby/Malkin-led Pens offense" and Crosby/Malkin having career high in points under the same guy ....

So all the other coaches after MT strangled them even more or what ?

Actually, you can. The team was suffering as a whole offensively. Hence the canning.

The whole thing is well documented, they were playing the same system and having the same problems Habs are having now, even with Crosby and Malkin.

So no, Therrien wouldn't know how to deploy a more offensive oriented strategy if he had better tools offensively.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Actually, you can. The team was suffering as a whole offensively. Hence the canning.

The whole thing is well documented, they were playing the same system and having the same problems Habs are having now, even with Crosby and Malkin.

So no, Therrien wouldn't know how to deploy a more offensive oriented strategy if he had better tools offensively.

2003-04 Penguins Goals: 190 Ranked in Goals: 22

Moron dump and chase strangler of high end talent Therrien steps in

2005-06 Penguins Goals: 243 Ranked in Goals :18

2006-07 Penguins Goals: 267 Ranked in Goals : 3

2007-08 Penguins Goals: 240 Ranked in Goals : 7

2008-09 Penguins Goals: 258 Ranked in Goals : 6

Not bad for a defensive minded coach who kills all offense and strangles all the offensive talent ...

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

Not bad for a defensive minded coach who kills all offense and strangles all the offensive talent ...

I think the addition of Crosby and Malkin had more to do with that...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think the addition of Crosby and Malkin had more to do with that...

It does not change the point that when he has the guys to be able to play an offensive style he does not tell them to dump and chase.

You can't have career high in point totals by playing a conservative defense minded dump and chase style of hockey.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Explain why he wasn't hired for 3 years until his friend gavehim a job. Therrien is horrible. But it's ok you've dug your position in the foxhole and will use any asinine srgument to support it.

That last year he had them last in shots and out of the playoffs.

He can't succeed with merely good goaltending, he needs them to stand on their heads to look good, now it's Price, before that MAF and Theodore.

Explain who puts Desharnais for THIRTY-THREE straight games on PP with no point if they are so offensively aware.

Explain why you take PK off the left side of the PP nullifying his biggest strength.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How can we score 3 goals a night if we are stuck in our zone? Defense also mean more time in the o-zone. We can't afford to lose PK, he's the main reason we had very good advance stats last year, despite not scoring or winning. We need to replace the "tire-pois" up front, not weakening our defense. Carey Price can't clear the puck off his zone. It's almost impossible to find a real no1 d-man, why trade him for question marks? Prospects are prospects. Taking PLD (and+) for Subban is not a marketing wet dream. It would be a nightmare for the kid to take the pressure.

We played the last 14 games without PK and with a team filled with AHL players and it was not the end of the world .

Actually i thought Emelin stepped up big time with Petry and PK out , he had a very strong end of the year .

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Explain why he wasn't hired for 3 years until his friend gavehim a job. Therrien is horrible. But it's ok you've dug your position in the foxhole and will use any asinine srgument to support it.

That last year he had them last in shots and out of the playoffs.

He can't succeed with merely good goaltending, he needs them to stand on their heads to look good, now it's Price, before that MAF and Theodore.

Explain who puts Desharnais for THIRTY-THREE straight games on PP with no point if they are so offensively aware.

Explain why you take PK off the left side of the PP nullifying his biggest strength.

Why are you telling me all this? I'm already viewed as a Bergevin defender I don't think I can take the hard duty and defend MT also... I would be forced to quit my job to keep up with you guys))

My only point was against the general impression that MT suffocates high end talent and uses plugs on top lines while preaching an extra tight and conservative style of play.

I said that we should look in the mirror and acknowledge that he actually gets a lot from this so-so roster. He is playing the best style of hockey suited for the type of players he has under his command.

Hall of fame goaler , good defense and a decent hard working forward group.

It would be actually stupid if he would open up the game and tried to outscore the other teams , we don't have enough high end talent upfront .

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
He doesn't get the best from this group, unless a historic collapse is "the best".

Just had a quick glance at the "Fire Therrien" thread from the Pens board in 2008-09, it's scary how similar the arguments are. Stubborn, ineffective PP, dump and chase, needs to open up more, lack of in game adjustments apart from promoting limited players.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He doesn't get the best from this group, unless a historic collapse is "the best".

Just had a quick glance at the "Fire Therrien" thread from the Pens board in 2008-09, it's scary how similar the arguments are. Stubborn, ineffective PP, dump and chase, needs to open up more, lack of in game adjustments apart from promoting limited players.

I don't know if it's just me but i noticed that the team plays a different type of hockey in the PO compared to the regular season. And this year we started the season with the same type of play as we used in the PO . A lot more aggressive, everybody on the puck all the time , not letting the other team install their play, dictating the game pace and so on , a lot of stuff based on speed and quickness . And then the injuries hit us and we just completely crumbled ... But i have hope

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The only reason he isn't saying flat out no is that in the event MB said "no, PK is not available" someone offers the moon and MB takes the deal; then good luck convincing guys to sign here when your word means nothing. He is just keeping his options open for a lindross type deal. At least that is what I think he is saying.

I don't buy this for a second. That's just a fictitious reason people have come up to excuse this GM, or just a reason people created because, well, humans are rational beings so we need a reason for an action.
It's like when people suggested Bergevin was handling PK with a strong front to show who's boss and set a precedent. He flat out said that wasn't the reason and he proved it later on by skipping the bridge deal on Gallagher.

The most famous and used cliché line used in trade talks is ''if Gretzky got traded, anybody can''. Everyone loves to use this line. This is the NHL, trades happen, things change, you can be safe one day and not the other. We know this as fans. You think the players don't??? You think just because their GM publicly states they're not trading anyone that things can't change if he gets a call from a very motivated counterpart?..Come on man. Why do you think players ask for No Trade Clauses??

Saying PK is completely off the table isn't going to change crap. You think other GMs, who have also been in Bergevin's shoes and understand how the league/media works, are going to not inquire on Subban if that's someone they're really interested in?? You think they get their information via TV?? They know what's going on.
If PK is available, they're not going to back out because Bergevin claimed he wasn't on TV. I mean come on..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Can you explain me why they should kill the rumors ? So that HF board stop panicking?
Because they're not true?? And because PK's reputation is being tarnished, after all, why in the hell would you want to trade a Norris winner in his prime when you're supposedly building?
But ya sure, let's keep the rumors going and keep spreading the PK is a problem fictional idea.
Are you a fan of the CH club and organisation or are you more a fan of PK?
Euh...both. Your point? You can't be a fan of a player and the team now??
What a stupid notion.

Seems like a big chunk are more fans of one player than the club ... Maybe that's why all this rumors are up there and there's always the idea that this guy is bigger than the club... Keep going... It will just help to trade him

Ya..right..that's why. Rumors happen because god forbid a player has fans who don't want him moved. Surely, that makes him bigger than the team...:facepalm:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

There is so much more to evaluating a team's offensive effectiveness than simply looking at total goals scored at the end of a season. Seasons which seen Therrien inherit of two generational talents like Crosby and Malkin no less.

Therrien's teams' possession numbers and shot generation have historically been abysmal. The change to Bylsma in 09 was in fact one of the most impactful in the last decade +(went from 46.3% Fenwick Close with Therrien to 52.6% with Bylsma)
More on the negative effect of his system on offense, from Olivier Bouchard. http://www.lactualite.com/sports/le-blogue-hockey/ce-que-les-donnees-nous-disent-sur-michel-therrien/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

If you can't grasp the simple distinction between a team's overall offensive success and total goals scored in a season, then there's clearly no point arguing further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino