Dreger: Bergevin and Botterill in trade discussions?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I know Pacioretty is a pariah around here but I think he's being undervalued a touch. Last season was forgettable-no doubt about it (for a lot of reasons) but isn't it likely that's an outlier given his level of production for the bulk of his career? It might not be in Montreal but I expect a return to form for him next season (30 + goals, high volume shooter, and defensively responsible). He's in his prime and given his style of play I expect him to age well.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Habs shouldn't even be shopping for ROR. They should be focusing on a smart rebuild. I couldn't be happier if you walked from negotiations and then drafted your future 1C at 3OA and turned MaxPac into futures and loaded up for couple years off suffering, maybe walk away with Lafreniere in a couple years time.

ROR should be going to a team that's on the cusp of competing for the cup in the next 2-3 years. That's where he has value. Why recycle our prime aged pieces when both of us could be loading up for the windows we deserve in 2-3 years?
Truer words have never been spoken but our GM has shown no signs of going rebuild, we will wallow in a half pregnant state until his sorry ass is fired so we are just trying to find ways to make it a little less painful :help:

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
We went through it here in Buffalo to. With Murray.
No Montreal fans have actually asked me yet what I think is a fair deal, that surprises me.

You know you could actually just say it. I mean, if you want to say it, great, but idk why it's surprising that people aren't asking for YOUR specific opinion for a fair deal?

His age. His contract. Botterills and Housley's statements on getting younger, faster. These come in to play. Pac is not going to be a center piece to acquire ROR, sorry.

There's been report (last week I think) about DGs inquiring about a sign & trade for Pacioretty. And for what I've read in the last couple of days, Pac was high on Botterill shopping list. So I assume Botterill knows what kind of contract he wants. Maybe the trade will come with a verbal agreement for a new contract to raise his value. I've never been extremely high on Pacioretty, but he's a great goalscorer and not TOO old. Good leadership and experience. He had great seasons without a clear 1C, I would be surprise if he can't put at least 30-35 with Eichel or Mittelstadt for the next 3-4 seasons.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
You know you could actually just say it. I mean, if you want to say it, great, but idk why it's surprising that people aren't asking for YOUR specific opinion for a fair deal?

There's been report (last week I think) about DGs inquiring about a sign & trade for Pacioretty. And for what I've read in the last couple of days, Pac was high on Botterill shopping list. So I assume Botterill knows what kind of contract he wants. Maybe the trade will come with a verbal agreement for a new contract to raise his value. I've never been extremely high on Pacioretty, but he's a great goalscorer and not TOO old. Good leadership and experience. He had great seasons without a clear 1C, I would be surprise if he can't put at least 30-35 with Eichel or Mittelstadt for the next 3-4 seasons.
During the conversations, I was surprised there was no back and forth on what we thought were fair compensation for a trade of this stature. If that bothers you that I pointed that out, which obviously it has, it isn't concerning to me.

I've seen no report on anyone in the Sabres organization asking for information, and Sabrespace post ALL articles hockey related. And other sources.
Which none of this matters not. My original comments were correct so far. Pac is a moot point, 3rd over all is what Botterill is asking, and rightfully so.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Other than the third overall, what do the Habs have to trade that Buffalo would really want? If you're trading O'Reilly, which they dont have to do, seriously what on earth from Montreal would interest them other than the 3OA? Value wise you can come up with something but it wouldnt be anything better than what Buffalo already has in the system, as they're not trading Drouin.

You'd have to say, if it's not the 3OA, a deal wont get done.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Other than the third overall, what do the Habs have to trade that Buffalo would really want? If you're trading O'Reilly, which they dont have to do, seriously what on earth from Montreal would interest them other than the 3OA? Value wise you can come up with something but it wouldnt be anything better than what Buffalo already has in the system, as they're not trading Drouin.

You'd have to say, if it's not the 3OA, a deal wont get done.
I think any trade with Buffalo and Montreal related to Pacs and ROR requires a 3rd team for Max to go to - I don't see him really fitting in with the Sabres core and he probably wouldn't re-sign there, I figured it would be the Panthers but they're out after getting Hoffman, maybe it's LA now with the rumors there.

Now if MB can pull off a 3 way without getting taken behind the woodshed by 2 other GMs will be a shock

Reactions: Petes2424

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think any trade with Buffalo and Montreal related to Pacs and ROR requires a 3rd team for Max to go to - I don't see him really fitting in with the Sabres core and he probably wouldn't re-sign there, I figured it would be the Panthers but they're out after getting Hoffman, maybe it's LA now with the rumors there.

Now if MB can pull off a 3 way without getting taken behind the woodshed by 2 other GMs will be a shock

That's probably what they would have to do. I just cant see what the Sabres would really be after. They have a really good player in ROR. It's not like they need prospects. Maybe if they're looking for a certain type of D, a deal can be made. So I'd say Carolina or nobody. Maybe something with the Isles if JT leaves?

Not that many teams wouldnt be interested. I just dont see the upside for the Sabres in dealing him unless they are blown away with an offer. 3OA starts that conversation.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
That's probably what they would have to do. I just cant see what the Sabres would really be after. They have a really good player in ROR. It's not like they need prospects. Maybe if they're looking for a certain type of D, a deal can be made. So I'd say Carolina or nobody. Maybe something with the Isles if JT leaves?

Not that many teams wouldnt be interested. I just dont see the upside for the Sabres in dealing him unless they are blown away with an offer. 3OA starts that conversation.
Starts with the 3OA.:facepalm: Just imagine STARTS WITH.:laugh:

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
The sabres have to make this trade. My reasons are they can get 2 first round early picks and I would ask for Jeff Perry a veteran D man who can help young Rasmus Dahlin grow into the game. Montreal trades 3rd overall pick and Jeff Perry to Buffalo in exchange for Ryan O Reilly and 2019 2nd round pick would be my choice

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think Habs trade Max to LA and then use their pick and a 2nd or two to get ROR.

3rd won't be in play.

But seems like many other teams are in on it too and they have good assets. I think it comes down if Molson will take on the bonuses and maybe even Moulson.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
The sabres have to make this trade. My reasons are they can get 2 first round early picks and I would ask for Jeff Perry a veteran D man who can help young Rasmus Dahlin grow into the game. Montreal trades 3rd overall pick and Jeff Perry to Buffalo in exchange for Ryan O Reilly and 2019 2nd round pick would be my choice
The Sabres really don't need a guy like Petry. I'm guessing something like ROR + 2019 SJ first + 32 this year for Patch and 3

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
If I'm the Habs I'm not paying up big for ROR. That contract is very high for a #2 C... I think he is over payed by at least a million. I guess we will see. Why does BUF want him gone anyway? Is he a problem?

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I'm bracing myself for Carey Price to end up a Sabre and ROR a Canadian. Can you imagine the Canadian fans heads exploding? That kind of trade would take some doing, but these rumors don't turn out the way fans think they will. They could very well be talking about Price, who knows...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If I'm the Habs I'm not paying up big for ROR. That contract is very high for a #2 C... I think he is over payed by at least a million. I guess we will see. Why does BUF want him gone anyway? Is he a problem?
We don't want him gone, we are merely listening to offers on the chance that someone gives us an offer we can't refuse for him. We are perfectly fine to keep him, the only way he is traded is if we are getting a gigantic return.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think Habs trade Max to LA and then use their pick and a 2nd or two to get ROR.

3rd won't be in play.

But seems like many other teams are in on it too and they have good assets. I think it comes down if Molson will take on the bonuses and maybe even Moulson.
Are you seriously saying a mid/late round 1st and a second will get you ROR or did I misread what you said? Because if it is that's totally insane.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The sabres are probably better off anyways trading ROR for a pick and prospects.
I would be willing to bet money that if he is traded we end up with a lot more than a mediocre first and a second. And how the hell are we better off trading our second best forward who just happens to be one of the best two way centers in the league for trash picks? Are we supposed to just be terrible for the next 4 years and not even try or something?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Most Sabres fans don't even want ROR to be traded. Our GM apparently thinks he's part of a problem or he wouldn't be shopping him. He claims he's not shopping ROR but it sure seems like he is.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I would be willing to bet money that if he is traded we end up with a lot more than a mediocre first and a second. And how the hell are we better off trading our second best forward who just happens to be one of the best two way centers in the league for trash picks? Are we supposed to just be terrible for the next 4 years and not even try or something?

That's kind of what the sabres do year after year so another 4 years sounds about right

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Don't really see why the Sabres would take Pacioretty instead of the third. I can see why MTL wouldn't give it up, but can't see the Sabres settling for Patches. I'm sure the Isles would offer the 11th or 12th and a guy like Nelson or maybe one of the younger rookies like MDC or JHS if Buffalo was interested. I'm not saying the Isles offer is better than Patches value wise, but what I am saying is Buffalo should be looking for a first round draft pick back in whatever deal they do and not 2nds.

Reactions: normaliswear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad