Dreger: Bergevin and Botterill in trade discussions?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Doesn't matter since they don't and won't have the 3rd OA pick.;)
It's more than possible. Now your starting to get in to the swing of things. I like it.
ROR isn't going for secondary draft picks and scraps, the 3rd over all isn't going for a top 20 NHL center.
Yet, the teams are speaking on an ROR trade per Dregger.

We'll see what shakes out in the next 28 hours or so.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
It's more than possible. Now your starting to get in to the swing of things. I like it.
ROR isn't going for secondary draft picks and scraps, the 3rd over all isn't going for a top 20 NHL center.

Yeah, I'm ready to get the popcorn going and to sit back and watch.

Anytime you hear "montreal in trade talks" and your team included, I feel it means you're probably about to win bigly.

ROR and 32 for 3rd overall would be a good start for me. Part of the intrigue is that despite falling into the luck of drafting Dahlin, I'm waiting for Botterill to start really tearing things down and rebuilding how he wants us to start being. It'll be interesting to see how he does that. Hopefully Montreal can do us a solid...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Anytime you hear "montreal in trade talks" and your team included, I feel it means you're probably about to win bigly.

ROR and 32 for 3rd overall would be a good start for me. Part of the intrigue is that despite falling into the luck of drafting Dahlin, I'm waiting for Botterill to start really tearing things down and rebuilding how he wants us to start being. It'll be interesting to see how he does that. Hopefully Montreal can do us a solid...
We went through it here in Buffalo to. With Murray.
No Montreal fans have actually asked me yet what I think is a fair deal, that surprises me.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

A top 2nd line center isn't gonna get you the 3rd OA pick, A 30+ goal scorer and a 2nd rd pick and a prospect is more than enough for a 2nd line center.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I would say danault, apart from that nothing worth mentioning
It was more of a tongue in cheek comment.

Bergevin’s Recent major transactions don’t really lend them self towards him “stealing” from another team.

Reactions: opticmax

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
A top 2nd line center isn't gonna get you the 3rd OA pick, A 30+ goal scorer and a 2nd rd pick and a prospect is more than enough for a 2nd line center.
A 30+ year old winger with 1 year left on his current contract and a 2nd round pick doesn't touch a top 20 center, in his prime, on a long term contract, who just so happens to be the top face off winner in the league, a top 5 shut down center, that averages 60 + points a season. Especially if the 7.5 aav is 6 mil actual salary if the Sabres put in the offer to pay the bonus july 1st. Stop and think about all of that information. Then come back to reality.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Who would the Sabres want at 3?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
A 30+ year old winger with 1 year left on his current contract and a 2nd round pick doesn't touch a top 20 center, in his prime, on a long term contract, who just so happens to be the top face off winner in the league, a top 5 shut down center, that averages 60 + points a season. Especially if the 7.5 aav is 6 mil actual salary if the Sabres put in the offer to pay the bonus july 1st. Stop and think about all of that information. Then come back to reality.
A top 1st line winger who's been one of the top 5 goal scorers the last 5 seasons and a draft pick +Lindgren is easily worth a 2nd line c with a cap hit of 7.5 mil

Reactions: Nevins

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If the 3rd overall ends up being as good as ROR the team that drafted him would be pleased, but it doesn't mean they have the same value. The 3rd OA would be 8 years younger and cost controlled for almost all of those years.

ROR is not an "if". The 3rd overall is likely not as good. Very likely.

Reactions: normaliswear

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
A top 1st line winger who's been one of the top 5 goal scorers the last 5 seasons and a draft pick +Lindgren is easily worth a 2nd line c with a cap hit of 7.5 mil
That's right, ignore the information. Stand firm. I would to. Only, Our GM didn't make the call, yours did. And the ask is the ask.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Please. We've seen this show before. You're desperate to get rid of him before it's no longer credible to refer to his prime years as his expected production. We've been burned by that before. We'll homegrow our wing talent, or go shopping for placeholders in UFA where it doesn't cost us anything. We have four years before Dahlin is really in his prime. Pacioretty is more likely to be on the third line than scoring 35 by then. Hell, the odds of Pacioretty being a Sabre in July 2019 are virtually nill anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yatzhee

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017

"But, but, but, but we don't want to give up any meaningful assets for a high-end center in his prime!"

Okay Habs fans...okay

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Habs shouldn't even be shopping for ROR. They should be focusing on a smart rebuild. I couldn't be happier if you walked from negotiations and then drafted your future 1C at 3OA and turned MaxPac into futures and loaded up for couple years off suffering, maybe walk away with Lafreniere in a couple years time.

ROR should be going to a team that's on the cusp of competing for the cup in the next 2-3 years. That's where he has value. Why recycle our prime aged pieces when both of us could be loading up for the windows we deserve in 2-3 years?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Yes and Pacc has more PPG than Oreilly and is + ....Oreilly is - 36 if i remember right.So Sabres fanstop talking like Oreilly is far better than Pacc.Pacc is a first line LW....and one of the best.He is not slow.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Yes and Pacc has more PPG than Oreilly and is + ....Oreilly is - 36 if i remember right.So Sabres fanstop talking like Oreilly is far better than Pacc.Pacc is a first line LW....and one of the best.He is not slow.
His age. His contract. Botterills and Housley's statements on getting younger, faster. These come in to play. Pac is not going to be a center piece to acquire ROR, sorry.

Reactions: normaliswear

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Fun fact: Since coming to Buffalo, ROR averages more points per 82 games over the last three years .... while playing for a worse team .... while playing the most defensive minutes in hockey .... while never being on Jack's line.

Your guy literally has 0 advantages in this comparison. We shouldn't even be shopping for MaxPac if he came cheap, he's a one year rental for a team going nowhere next year.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We’re clearly not going for it this year, we are going to have 20+ million of dead cap hits on the team with no buyouts coming. Pacioretty would be insane considering his contract and the fact that even if we extend him he’ll be declining before we can compete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad