Confirmed with Link: Benning Re-signed 2 years 1.9M (1.8M, 2M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
Chiarelli is like those poor people who buy TVs and smartphones instead of food. Dump Boychuk for picks because of cap room. Dump Eberle and buyout Pouliot two years before we were in cap hell. Leave an insane amount of cap room for supposed deadline deals.

Then overpay your entire roster.

Now we're stuck and barely have room for a cheap UFA winger.

He hasn't even made his patented June upgrades yet. He was swimming in assets, time and goodwill in his first two years and he tried to rush the team into the playoffs. We ended up with Reinhart and Larsson. Now he's desperate.

Expect a big overreaction when he's trying to clear cap AND upgrading at the same time. I'd suggest Klefbom, but his caphit is too low. He'll have to move someone else. I thought Kassian was that guy, but he'll just overpay another 4th-liner.

He could move Sekera and Lucic, but I have my doubts.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This is the only way to GM in the cap era. You need to make bets to find value contracts.

No it isn't. This is how GM's get in trouble

Any team in the last decade won cups on value contracts....on good players. I doubt Benning falls into that category of a player who breaks out as a serious value contract

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam

Any team in the last decade won cups on value contracts....on good players. I doubt Benning falls into that category of a player who breaks out as a serious value contract
Cause you singed a player to a contract the deserves.he was not going to get anyting under 1,5 million it seems.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Maybe your right maybe not. If Benning stays a #6 D man with ok offensive skills who won’t bleed goals against if he’s heavily sheltered that’s not that bad at 1.9 mil. If he improves at all beyond his sophomore year I think it can be of value at least one of the years.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

why? his stats have improved from the previous year and tied for the team lead in goals by a defenceman

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
why? his stats have improved from the previous year and tied for the team lead in goals by a defenceman

Actually his stats didn't improve. Any offensive stats that can be used, which are actually too minor to even mention, he declined in every other area as a dman

I actually don't mind Benning, but again, that raise was too high

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
exactly

Caps did it with Brett Connelly, Devante Smith-Pelly and Michal Kempny..cast offs who no one wanted...

paid off in spades

Actually it paid off with paying Backstrom well below other centers in his class and having a deal on Carlson

So far with our elite players, we have ponyed up

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Actually his stats didn't improve. Any offensive stats that can be used, which are actually too minor to even mention, he declined in every other area as a dman

I actually don't mind Benning, but again, that raise was too high
Actually it paid off with paying Backstrom well below other centers in his class and having a deal on Carlson

Does he have to score more then 30 points to be a good player for you.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

we ponyed up for term though. Backstrom's deal is great because it was signed in 2010. It's going to expire in a couple years. The cap percentage on his deal was 11.28%. It would be the equivalent of a 9 million AAV with an 80 million cap. Then if we're comparing big ticket players, Ovechkin was equivalent to a 13.5 cap hit today. So in a way McDavid and Drai were signed for less. In 6-7 years, we will be in the position that Washington is in now in terms of having value contracts at the top.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
oh HF boards ,you will never changed.
I just want to honestly ask if you have ever disagreed with ANY move that the Oilers/Chia have ever made?
You are very active in every single thread defending literally every move the Oilers make. I am wondering if there is anything you disagree with or are the Oilers infallible?
Okey?

Reactions: Aerrol

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
we ponyed up for term though. Backstrom's deal is great because it was signed in 2010. It's going to expire in a couple years. The cap percentage on his deal was 11.28%. It would be the equivalent of a 9 million AAV with an 80 million cap. Then if we're comparing big ticket players, Ovechkin was equivalent to a 13.5 cap hit today. So in a way McDavid and Drai were signed for less. In 6-7 years, we will be in the position that Washington is in now in terms of having value contracts at the top.

This is true. Unusual, or genius plan to win cups at the end of the your franchise players contracts?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Keeps collecting garbage.
Caggiula and Benning would be sitting up in the PB making big $$ while 3rd pairing of Sekera-Russell will be making 10M combined and a 4thline of Lucic-Strome-Kassian would be making 11M combined

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is true. Unusual, or genius plan to win cups at the end of the your franchise players contracts?
Imo it's best to sign a player you know will be great to as long as you can. Sure it would be great for next season if we bridged McDavid and Drai because then imagine the savings, but there would be hell to pay down the line.

Our cap situation is fine. We ponyed up for term on players that deserved it and they are worth every penny, and our bargain contracts on Klef and Larsson will take the sting away.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I just want to honestly ask if you have ever disagreed with ANY move that the Oilers/Chia have ever made?
You are very active in every single thread defending literally every move the Oilers make. I am wondering if there is anything you disagree with or are the Oilers infallible?
Okey?
No Not really I have seen that mostly of last season it was players like Kelfbom and Sekera were not playing up to par since both were hurt and also I think team chemistry was down since they lost their back bone in matt hendricks.

I always support the Oilers and I am not found of the negativity on things like Benning contract just silly.I think what Pete and Keith Gretzky are really doing is getting better at the draft and it will take sometime but by the time some players contract end the oilers and the players who they drafted will mature and you will see a very good Oilers team who wins cup.

Now I do think the philosophy of big teams is not the way to go but I think PC realizes it and will change is tune.

Also this is the EDMONTON Oilers he will always have problems since we are not located in a hot spot for players Kagomes.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
No Not really I have seen that mostly of last season it was players like Kelfbom and Sekera were not playing up to par since both were hurt and also I think team chemistry was down since they lost their back bone in matt hendricks.

I always support the Oilers and I am not found of the negativity on things like Benning contract just silly.I think what Pete and Keith Gretzky are really doing is getting better at the draft and it will take sometime but by the time some players contract end the oilers and the players who they drafted will mature and you will see a very good Oilers team who wins cup.

Now I do think the philosophy of big teams is not the way to go but I think PC realizes it and will change is tune.

Also this is the EDMONTON Oilers he will always have problems since we are not located in a hot spot for players Kagomes.
Fair answer, thank you, I appreciate it.
But for the love of god stop calling wives/gf's "kagomes".

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Fair answer, thank you, I appreciate it.
But for the love of god stop calling wives/gf's "kagomes".

but they are kagomes.every time a player says no it mean they wife and gfs say sit boy and that makes them Kagomes.

also lighten up a bit

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Imo it's best to sign a player you know will be great to as long as you can. Sure it would be great for next season if we bridged McDavid and Drai because then imagine the savings, but there would be hell to pay down the line.

Our cap situation is fine. We ponyed up for term on players that deserved it and they are worth every penny, and our bargain contracts on Klef and Larsson will take the sting away.

Chi and LA in the modern cap do not win cups that way. Klef is proving not to be a bargain, so his name is a few years away from earning that title imo.

Cup winners thus far have all had bargain contracts in wins. So far Edm's best players aren't and their pipeline of prospects are not really that strong

Skinner the exception of course

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No, it's how you properly manage your cap. Something Chia proved incapable of in Boston, and appears to be repeating the same mistakes here in Edmonton.

He was incapable of doing so in Boston? Youndo realize that most teams who are competitive for long period go though a tough period of time cap wise due to being very successful for a long period of time.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
"Lighten up" says the guy that blows a gasket anyone dare criticize his idol, Chia.
Kagome is a reference maybe 1% of this board understands. It's stupid. There, I said it.
Okey?
Still I do not care I will say Kagome when ever I post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad