Confirmed with Link: Benning Re-signed 2 years 1.9M (1.8M, 2M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I know people think Benning had an awful year but 20 some points and a +5 is a pretty good year for a sophomore D man.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What in the **** is Chia doing? $3.5 million AAV between Caggiula and Benning? IMO that's a good $500K-$1 million overpay between them. Nurse and Strome must be licking their chops right about now ffs.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
What in the **** is Chia doing? $3.5 million AAV between Caggiula and Benning? IMO that's a good $500K-$1 million overpay between them. Nurse and Strome must be licking their chops right about now ffs.

That why bottom paring d get in this NHL.both were fine deal .PC got what he got for them.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I know people think Benning had an awful year but 20 some points and a +5 is a pretty good year for a sophomore D man.

An insane amount of giveaways and a glaring inability to win a battle on the boards in his own zone. More than just offensive stats to consider

He didn't deserve that extra $

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
An insane amount of giveaways and a glaring inability to win a battle on the boards in his own zone. More than just offensive stats to consider

Well they do not give money for just for defensive abilities. He got what he deserved.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What did Benning accomplish this season that allowed him to receive a 75% raise? I'm going to be the guy to complain about a difference between 400-500K (what he should've received less) because it's just yet another example of Chiarelli being a piss poor negotiator. How is this guy a GM still after all the overpaid contracts handed out in Boston and now Edmonton? Benning's comparable was Grzelyck in Boston who received 500K less on his deal. At the end of the day it all adds up and in my opinion between Benning, Caggiula, and Koskinen this off-season we've spent about 2M more then we needed to. A lot when only talking about bottom lineup players. I'm fully expecting Strome to be in the 3.5-4.0 range and Nurse in the 4-5 on a bridge deal.

He overpaid Lucic when we had all the leverage with him wanting to play with McDavid. He handed Russell two more years then he needed to after the guy had to wait until October the previous year to even get a contract. Signed a f***ing backup goalie from the KHL for 2.5. Bought out Pouliot a year too early when we didn't need cap space. The cap management is horrendous and his trade history is even worse.

He's completely wasted the opportunity with having McDavid. We are absolutely screwed cap wise with him.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
What did Benning accomplish this season that allowed him to receive a 75% raise? I'm going to be the guy to complain about a difference between 400-500K (what he should've received less) because it's just yet another example of Chiarelli being a piss poor negotiator. How is this guy a GM still after all the overpaid contracts handed out in Boston and now Edmonton? Benning's comparable was Grzelyck in Boston who received 500K less on his deal. At the end of the day it all adds up and in my opinion between Benning, Caggiula, and Koskinen this off-season we've spent about 2M more then we needed to. A lot when only talking about bottom lineup players. I'm fully expecting Strome to be in the 3.5-4.0 range and Nurse in the 4-5 on a bridge deal.

He overpaid Lucic when we had all the leverage with him wanting to play with McDavid. He handed Russell two more years then he needed to after the guy had to wait until October the previous year to even get a contract. Signed a ****ing backup goalie from the KHL for 2.5. Bought out Pouliot a year too early when we didn't need cap space. The cap management is horrendous and his trade history is even worse.

He's completely wasted the opportunity with having McDavid. We are absolutely screwed cap wise with him.
oh HF boards ,you will never changed.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I don't mind this deal. Couldn't have really gone under 1.8 with what cagguila got. Though prior to either deal I was hoping for 1.4-1.5

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I get he overpaid for some players.but wholly cow calm down on the Benning singing and cags signings.
Benning's role on this team is a #6 or 7 defenseman. How are you supposed to build a team properly when that guy has a cap hit nearly 2M? Same with Caggiula, he should be penciled into the 4th line next season, you don't pay these guys 1.5-2M and field a competitive team. We are already top heavy in our cap with McDavid and Draisaitl (which I have zero issues with on their contracts), we can't afford to have small overpayments on these players with that kind of cap structure.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Benning's role on this team is a #6 or 7 defenseman. How are you supposed to build a team properly when that guy has a cap hit nearly 2M? Same with Caggiula, he should be penciled into the 4th line next season, you don't pay these guys 1.5-2M and field a competitive team. We are already top heavy in our cap with McDavid and Draisaitl (which I have zero issues with on their contracts), we can't afford to have small overpayments on these players with that kind of cap structure.
Frist the cap will go up so the 6th or 7th ,second both players have done well at times .we also have to pay big taxes.

Benning is only 24 and has not reached his celling yet.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Frist the cap will go up so the 6th or 7th ,second both players have done well at times .we also have to pay big taxes.

Benning is only 24 and has not reached his celling yet.
So is Grezlyck. I don't care about what his ceiling is, I care about what he is now and what his role is.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

He was +5 so it couldn’t have cost the team that and yes I’m aware he had some bad moments that stood out but there was some good play there. Again this is a 2nd year Nhl player. Why does nobody have any patience with anyone anymore?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was +5 so it couldn’t have cost the team that and yes I’m aware he had some bad moments that stood out but there was some good play there. Again this is a 2nd year Nhl player. Why does nobody have any patience with anyone anymore?
Thinking he is overpaid for his current ability doesnt be an we aren't patient.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Oilers fans do not like patience!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
why would sign his qualifying offer of 1.2 million when less proven players Grzelcyk got 1.4 for 63 NHL games?
heck Jake McCabe of Buffalo signed a 1.7 milion dollar contract 2 years ago after 1 full season in the NHL...with less points
Grzelcyk and McCabe both played better than Benning last year.
Except with him, his minuses were often due to his own mistakes dragging his teammates down, and the pluses often came from other players dragging him along. He was actively losing us games last season. By all means give him a 1.2 million dollar prove me deal or something and give him a chance to bounce back, but don't reward him for what was a poor year overall.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Young 24 YO with upside who shows good upside in his rookie year gets signed for an extra 200K *HFOil explodes* 30 year old Kris Russell who should be a bottom pairing D and drags the whole team down gets overpaid by 1.5 mil "Ahh well thats the price you gotta pay"
Russell's game is better than Benning can ever hope to reach. If he is 'dragging the whole team down' from 'the bottom pairing' (both factually inaccurate observations btw), then wtf is Benning doing. Benning was the biggest liability on the ice nearly every game he dressed in 17/18.

I was hoping not to see this player next season, but I guess Chiarelli is going to have to fill out his roster somehow. Maybe we can package up Benning and Caggiula and get one useful player in return? You know, sell them on the 'offensive upside' and that great rookie season @CantHaveTkachev can't stop talking about.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Thinking he is overpaid for his current ability doesnt be an we aren't patient.
Is there some massive surplus of right shot D that just turned 24 that have accomplished substantially more in the nhl than Matthew Benning widely available at under 2 million that I’m not aware of?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is there some massive surplus of right shot D that just turned 24 that have accomplished substantially more in the nhl than Matthew Benning widely available at under 2 million that I’m not aware of?
I dont think he is overpaid. Just saying that just because people think he is, that means nothing about patience.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I honestly don't see anything to get worked up about with these contracts
People aren't getting 'worked up'. They are just pointing out that Chiarelli overpays on every deal he makes. He can't even get fourth line forwards and bottom pairing dmen to sign discounts. Why is it wrong to point that out? As someone who's been around a long time, you should know that @Fourier pays attention to cap details. He is not a reactionary 'old man screaming' type poster, so when even he is getting critical of Chiarelli's constant overpays, I think its significant.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Has nothing to do with patience for a player. It has everything to do with a GM making a team friendly signing in a cap disaster he created, and keeps adding to....Koskinen, Benning, Cagguila, and dare I say Drai

Handing inflated contracts continuously, with little support stats in some cases, banking on players to deliver exponential growths is just plain poor GM'ing

The pay up front, hope for dividends later approach is becoming a losing formula perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad