Confirmed with Link: Benning Re-signed 2 years 1.9M (1.8M, 2M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That it ,some one just saying its a disaster in a annoying voice also Benning sinning is not a disaster.

It was a joke. Mainly on the off chance of there being any dota 2 gamers in here. Cheer up :)

Here's the original:

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
I'm not being completely serious in the thread. I don't like Benning, but this seems like a lot to pay for a poor option 6/7 that teams bend over for fun.

Poor option he only 24 ,he going to be fine player.you just hate a player that you can not be optomistic.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its funny going from Twitter to HFOil. I first saw this news on Twitter and scrolled thru my timeline which is mostly non Oiler fans and hockey twitter personalities. The people are always either anti Oilers or neutral at best. the overwhelming consensus was "Oh wow solid deal, where was this Chiarelli hiding" (they were down on the Cagguila deal). Then you come to HFOil and its complete doomsday. This is a young D signed to a reasonable contract with room to grow. The death by a thousand cuts statements should typically only be said about vets who get term and $ and who will likely see decreased play in the short future. You want to build a team full of cheaper, younger depth and role players

Giving up on a D after one bad year when they were put in a bad spot led us to trading Schultz and Petry for scraps. I think the Oilers and the fans are just allergic to 24-26 YO RHD who possess a bit of offense. Hell add in Tom Gilbert as well

Reactions: nabob

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm not being completely serious in the thread. I don't like Benning, but this seems like a lot to pay for a poor option 6/7 that teams bend over for fun.

When Benning was on the bottom pairing with Nurse in 16/17 he was the one bending teams over and having his way with them. That pairing produced legit some of the best results for a bottom pairing in the NHL.

Id say lets wait and see Benning with any partner not named Russell. I think well see people doing a 180 on Benning. hes produced good to great results with a variety of partners in different situations, Russell was the one who he had the worst results with. Atleast at the very minimum put Russell and Benning on the bottom pairing together where they both belong

Putting Benning with Russell on the second pairing is like throwing a person into the ocean with sharks and his life jacket is made out of fish guts

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Its funny going from Twitter to HFOil. I first saw this news on Twitter and scrolled thru my timeline which is mostly non Oiler fans and hockey twitter personalities. The people are always either anti Oilers or neutral at best. the overwhelming consensus was "Oh wow solid deal, where was this Chiarelli hiding" (they were down on the Cagguila deal). Then you come to HFOil and its complete doomsday. This is a young D signed to a reasonable contract with room to grow. The death by a thousand cuts statements should typically only be said about vets who get term and $ and who will likely see decreased play in the short future. You want to build a team full of cheaper, younger depth and role players

Giving up on a D after one bad year when they were put in a bad spot led us to trading Schultz and Petry for scraps. I think the Oilers and the fans are just allergic to 24-26 YO RHD who possess a bit of offense. Hell add in Tom Gilbert as well

People on HF board are always compiling on players.it what have you done for me lately.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The other weird thing is that while HFOil is generally anti analytics and pro basic stats and +/-, they ignore the fact Benning was a +5 this year, meanwhile his partner for alot of the year was a -7. This on top of being a +8 last year. For such a horrible defensive player, there seems to be a complete lack of stats to back that up

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When Benning was on the bottom pairing with Nurse in 16/17 he was the one bending teams over and having his way with them. That pairing produced legit some of the best results for a bottom pairing in the NHL.

Id say lets wait and see Benning with any partner not named Russell. I think well see people doing a 180 on Benning. hes produced good to great results with a variety of partners in different situations, Russell was the one who he had the worst results with. Atleast at the very minimum put Russell and Benning on the bottom pairing together where they both belong

Putting Benning with Russell on the second pairing is like throwing a person into the ocean with sharks and his life jacket is made out of fish guts

He looked very good with Nurse two years ago. Actually everyone who has played with Nurse for the last two years has looked really good. Larsson looked much better in the last 20 games of the season than he did the first half.

Don’t tell Raab that though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He looked very good with Nurse two years ago. Actually everyone who has played with Nurse for the last two years has looked really good. Larsson looked much better in the last 20 games of the season than he did the first half.

Love Nurse, when he gets the puck in our end, you know its getting out of the zone, either via a good pass, rush, or dump out at worst. Takes alot of pressure off his D partners and allows the puck to go up ice. Id be all over that Nurse/Benning pair again next year, even if it meant promoting them so Nurse got more ice time

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Could of signed mcdavid to league minimum and it would of been like the world is ending around here

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

But, that one time nurse iced the puck in game 47 of the season, can’t win with players like that :sarcasm:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's a third pairing defensemen, getting third pairing money who plays at a third pairing defender level.

He's a 3rd pairing Defenceman only on a team with no D depth. Most good teams would have a D-man like Benning at the #7 role or worse.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hey look, Leafs just signed THEIR 7th D for 1.3M in Connor Carrick.

Benning is a #7 D like McDavid is a #2C. There is absolutely nothing to point to Benning being a #7D. However there is a ton to point to him being a good #5 D with #4D upside

I guess in the end, the argument will be moot. It doesnt matter what fans say about a player. In the end Benning is on our team and will make the team better. Id rather him be on this team and have the fans groan about him, vs him not be on this team and the Oilers to bring in some plug like Karl Alzner, who Id bet the fans would love.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Benning is a #7 D like McDavid is a #2C. There is absolutely nothing to point to Benning being a #7D. However there is a ton to point to him being a good #5 D with #4D upside

I guess in the end, the argument will be moot. It doesnt matter what fans say about a player. In the end Benning is on our team and will make the team better. Id rather him be on this team and have the fans groan about him, vs him not be on this team and the Oilers to bring in some plug like Karl Alzner, who Id bet the fans would love.
McDavid comment is just sad.. not comparable at all.
Benning as #5Dman would mean another bottom 5 finish since we are stuck with Russell and Sekera long term. Trading away Nurse, Klefbom or Larsson would be lateral move at best.
Benning needs to be a #7 dman next year for us to improve. Chia better be bringing in a quality top 4 offensive RD to this group.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

You can’t call Benning a #5 right now. He needs to be sheltered the crap out of to be just ok on the bottom pair. He’s the most sheltered D man on the team by far. He’s our #6 right now and I think he can be good in that role.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You can’t call Benning a #5 right now. He needs to be sheltered the crap out of to be just ok on the bottom pair. He’s the most sheltered D man on the team by far. He’s our #6 right now and I think he can be good in that role.

Most sheltered? Dude got thrown to the wolves with friggin Kris Russell as a partner to start the year. I dont want to know what benning did a past life to deserve that fate

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Most sheltered? Dude got thrown to the wolves with friggin Kris Russell as a partner to start the year. I dont want to know what benning did a past life to deserve that fate
Matthew Benning would be extremely lucky to have a career like Kris Russell.

Reactions: harpoon

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I like Benning and think that there is a player there. But like Caggulia, he did get full market value on this contract.
The part I don't understand is why now?
If you are going to pay full market value on a player anyways, why not let them sweat it out over the summer and maybe get a better deal? I can't see either getting an offer sheet.
And if Caggulia goes to arbitration, that's a player you can let walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->