Confirmed with Link: Benning Re-signed 2 years 1.9M (1.8M, 2M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Explain what Kagome means please.

The name of the female lead in the anime InuYasha. Basically the main character is a half dog demon and wears a magical necklace. When Kagome says "sit boy" the necklace subdues him and pulls him to the ground.

I understand the reference... not sure it's really apt here as in the anime Kagome only uses it for comic relief generally and is not a bossy character really... there's nothing funny about Chris Pronger's wife making him leave.... Just sayin!

Also the Benning deal is pretty meh. I don't think he's shown enough to be worth 2 mil and I worry how this ripples into Nurses contract. Anything more than a 4 mil long term contract for Nurse is an overpay imo.

Reactions: La Bamba and Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Actually his stats didn't improve. Any offensive stats that can be used, which are actually too minor to even mention, he declined in every other area as a dman

I actually don't mind Benning, but again, that raise was too high

Ok, if you are going to make this claim. At least back it up. People need to stop saying "The stats are this, or the stats are that." Either post them in the post or be sure to have posted the stats in a previous post

You want the actual stats? Here ya go.

Benning stats imporved in the following categories:
-Shot contributions
-Zone entry stats went WAY up
-Zone entry defense went WAY up

This is on top of goals, assists and points increasing

People shouldnt be confused, Benning is a good D and this is evidenced by the actual stats. The reason people are down on him is that he was put in a second pairing role (pretty hard) and worst of all was saddled with Russell for a punitive amount of time, which sunk his play, stats and confidence. Reunite Benning with Nurse on the second pairing next year and youll get your solid D back, and everyone will be happy with the player and the contract

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgE_AMFX0AEic9o.jpg:large
DgE_AMFX0AEic9o.jpg:large

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ok, if you are going to make this claim. At least back it up. People need to stop saying "The stats are this, or the stats are that." Either post them in the post or be sure to have posted the stats in a previous post

You want the actual stats? Here ya go.

Benning stats imporved in the following categories:
-Shot contributions
-Zone entry stats went WAY up
-Zone entry defense went WAY up

This is on top of goals, assists and points increasing

People shouldnt be confused, Benning is a good D and this is evidenced by the actual stats. The reason people are down on him is that he was put in a second pairing role (pretty hard) and worst of all was saddled with Russell for a punitive amount of time, which sunk his play, stats and confidence. Reunite Benning with Nurse on the second pairing next year and youll get your solid D back, and everyone will be happy with the player and the contract

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgE_AMFX0AEic9o.jpg:large
DgE_AMFX0AEic9o.jpg:large
I hated him this year mostly cause of the big mistakes he made that would cost us. I do understand though that this is due to his age.

This isn't a Caggiula situation where he actually made his linemates worse. Benning improved this year over last for the most part, although his major brainfarts (same with Klefbom) really hurt us at times. That though can be ironed out with experience.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I hated him this year mostly cause of the big mistakes he made that would cost us. I do understand though that this is due to his age.

This isn't a Caggiula situation where he actually made his linemates worse. Benning improved this year over last for the most part, although his major brainfarts (same with Klefbom) really hurt us at times. That though can be ironed out with experience.

I think the issue that Benning has is the same issue Jake Gardiner, Klefbom and Nurse had/have. Theyll make 20 lowkey good plays in a game that noone notices (the game is very fast with alot going on), and then make 1 bad turnover that everyone notices and remembers. Those good lowkey play get captured in the micro stats (like he ones posted above), but fans impressions of a player are based on the more noticeable mistake. Its why a guy like Gardiner can have amazing underlying stats but most people are down on him. Or why most people say they dont trust the stats when it comes to high event D. You could make 100 plays were you contribute 5% to a goal being scored, but once you have 2 instances burnt at the blueline or have a turnover get scored on and are 95-100% responsible, youll get a bad reputation

It also has to do with risk aversion and that most fans hate giving up a goal/chance way more than they like seeing a goal/chance created. So theyll value a simple, low to no event D over a high event D. This also extends to coaches and GMs, which is why we saw a ton of low event simple D in the league the past 2 years, and are now just seeing more high event D get drafted/ promoted and played higher in line ups.

I could write an essay on the biases and how they impact how we watch and judge defenseman

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think the issue that Benning has is the same issue Jake Gardiner, Klefbom and Nurse had/have. Theyll make 20 lowkey good plays in a game that noone notices (the game is very fast with alot going on), and then make 1 bad turnover that everyone notices and remembers. Those good lowkey play get captured in the micro stats (like he ones posted above), but fans impressions of a player are based on the more noticeable mistake. Its why a guy like Gardiner can have amazing underlying stats but most people are down on him. Or why most people say they dont trust the stats when it comes to high event D

It also has to do with risk aversion and that most fans hate giving up a goal/chance way more than they like seeing a goal/chance created. So theyll value a simple, low to no event D over a high event D. This also extends to coaches and GMs, which is why we saw a ton of low event simple D in the league the past 2 years, and are now just seeing more high event D get drafted/ promoted and played higher in line ups.

I could write an essay on the biases and how they impact how we watch and judge defenseman
Benning is more of a high event d, the mistakes him and Klefbom were making though were pure just not paying attention. That's something they can iron out with time, so I'm not really that worried.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Benning is more of a high event d, the mistakes him and Klefbom were making though were pure just not paying attention. That's something they can iron out with time, so I'm not really that worried.

Thatd be nice. But Id have some reservations on them ironing out their games enough for fans to appreciate them. I just look at Jake Gardiner who has been doing unreal things in Toronto for 2 or 3 years now as hes ironing out his game and hes still way underrated because hes a high event D. By both Toronto fans and general fans/media. So if even he cant, I dunno if ours can

I think/hope the 2 can iron out the real bonehead plays, but I dont think theyll ever get to a point where fans overlook the mistakes. High event D need to make mistakes by the way they play the game. When you fire a pass up the middle of the ice to try and hit McDavid in stride, you always risk it being picked off. A low event D could chuck it off the glass and out and no fan would have an issue as this isnt an outright turnover, it just wont lead to a chance for us as much as a breakout pass in stride will

Reactions: Cypress

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
God I hope Chia can pull something amazing out of his ass this offseason - this is a slight overpay and more of the death by a thousand overpays that Chia has been inflicting on the team. A big win would go a long way to alleviating my annoyance at Chia and calming the board down, I think.

At least I don't see a disaster trade incoming like Eberle for Strome, or a massive overpay like the Russell deal + NMC.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I guess I'm one of the few that are actually ok with this signing. Oilers need competent D back there, and Benning is a good young d-man that will continue to improve over the next few years. I for one am glad Chia is focused on signing players and not trades. Never trades.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Another overpay. Add it to the pile. Some are saying SLIGHT overpay, I would say its more than slight because Benning isn't an NHL D-man. If he's in our D core, we got issues.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I guess I'm one of the few that are actually ok with this signing. Oilers need competent D back there, and Benning is a good young d-man that will continue to improve over the next few years. I for one am glad Chia is focused on signing players and not trades. Never trades.
Are you one of the ones that's of the mind the team should remove his ability to make trades?
Another overpay. Add it to the pile. Some are saying SLIGHT overpay, I would say its more than slight because Benning isn't an NHL D-man. If he's in our D core, we got issues.
I mean it makes sense, but you don't have to worry, everyone will be fired at some point in the next 10 months.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's a third pairing defensemen, getting third pairing money who plays at a third pairing defender level.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Keeps collecting garbage.
Caggiula and Benning would be sitting up in the PB making big $$ while 3rd pairing of Sekera-Russell will be making 10M combined and a 4thline of Lucic-Strome-Kassian would be making 11M combined

This is all that really needs to be stated. Perfectly captures it.

Other teams get useful players and improve the roster. We re-up our overpaid ineffectual players.

Seems like just wanting to be here and having a pulse is enough.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam

Other teams get useful players and improve the roster. We re-up our overpaid ineffectual players.

He is going be a useful player ,stop it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Ineffective. At least use good English with the never ending rants against management. :D

What is the real concern with a 6/7 D? He is right shot which has a lot of value in the league.

Benning is fine for what he is with a slight chance of moving up into the second pairing. We have a log jam in D so I suspect the Benning signing means someone gets moved.

Reactions: Homesick

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ineffective. At least use good English with the never ending rants against management. :D

What is the real concern with a 6/7 D? He is right shot which has a lot of value in the league.

Benning is fine for what he is with a slight chance of moving up into the second pairing. We have a log jam in D so I suspect the Benning signing means someone gets moved.

Doesn't it seem like a lot for a simply fill D that isn't any good and that doesn't even look like an NHL player?
Carrick signing for 1.4m as a 6/7 dman should provide more evidence that Bennings contract is pretty spot on in terms of aav.

huh, this contract is 1M more over term. how is that spot on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad