Confirmed with Link: Benning Re-signed 2 years 1.9M (1.8M, 2M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Doesn't it seem like a lot for a simply fill D that isn't any good and that doesn't even look like an NHL player?

I think that's a bit harsh on Benning. In 2016-17 he was a solid 5D and had flashes where he looked like a second pairing guy.

Benning regressed a little last year, but to say he doesn't like like an NHL player is a bit harsh.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think that's a bit harsh on Benning. In 2016-17 he was a solid 5D and had flashes where he looked like a second pairing guy.

Benning regressed a little last year, but to say he doesn't like like an NHL player is a bit harsh.

ps ineffectual is the right, and dead perfect term and the one I meant to use. So pfffft. ;)

"Ineffective and ineffectual—both—refer to failure. But only ineffectual refers to the kind of failure that happens when the effort was weak, impotent, and/or incompetent. If a team of great lawyers fail to win a vigorously debated case, their efforts have been ineffective but not ineffectual."

pps Benning didn't remotely resemble an NHL player and he was in a contract year.

I would have Ethan Bear in the lineup anytime over Benning.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
ps ineffectual is the right, and dead perfect term and the one I meant to use. So pfffft. ;)

Do you actually think Benning's struggles were due to lack of effort?

I'd much rather see Bear in Bako for the season, rather than rush him up to the big club and ruin his confidence.

If Bear forces his way onto the roster that's a whole other story.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do you actually think Benning's struggles were due to lack of effort?

I'd much rather see Bear in Bako for the season, rather than rush him up to the big club and ruin his confidence.

If Bear forces his way onto the roster that's a whole other story.

Ineffectual; "Weak, impotent, and ineffective" or "refer to failure"

The term captures it pretty well I think.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That how it works for Canadian markets player sign more because of the taxes in the some provinces .

Toronto Ontario is arguably the most expensive City in Canada to live in. Edmonton most definitely isn't.

Carrick just signed in Toronto. Also, just for correction it was 1.3M. So that Benning is being paid 46% more AND gets a two year.. Wow.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Toronto Ontario is arguably the most expensive City in Canada to live in. Edmonton most definitely isn't.

Carrick just signed in Toronto. Also, just for correction it was 1.3M. So that Benning is being paid 46% more AND gets a two year.. Wow.

Oh lord,it still matter that taxes played or he played less season.Jesus was right

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
God I hope Chia can pull something amazing out of his ass this offseason - this is a slight overpay and more of the death by a thousand overpays that Chia has been inflicting on the team. A big win would go a long way to alleviating my annoyance at Chia and calming the board down, I think.

At least I don't see a disaster trade incoming like Eberle for Strome, or a massive overpay like the Russell deal + NMC.

*Looks nervously at Klefbom and RNH*

TBH id be more than fine standing pat if it meant no more bad trades. Ideally wed sign Green and go into the season with

Klefbom-Larsson > Both healthy, both adjusted to be teams main focal point
Sekera-Green > To vets, Sekera back from injury. Green fills he RHD role
Nurse-Benning > Go back to the bottom pairing that dominated (yes dominated) in this role 2 years ago. One of the stronger bottom pairings in the league, potential to be even better than Sekera/Green

Russell traded for a vet depth forward to make cap space for Green

Reactions: Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

"Ineffective and ineffectual—both—refer to failure. But only ineffectual refers to the kind of failure that happens when the effort was weak, impotent, and/or incompetent. If a team of great lawyers fail to win a vigorously debated case, their efforts have been ineffective but not ineffectual."

pps Benning didn't remotely resemble an NHL player and he was in a contract year.

He actually did resemble an NHL D by nearly any stat. He resembled a good top 4 D more than he resembled a non NHLer. Again, just because people have blinding biases when it comes to evaluating D doesnt make it reality

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
*Looks nervously at Klefbom and RNH*

TBH id be more than fine standing pat if it meant no more bad trades. Ideally wed sign Green and go into the season with

Klefbom-Larsson > Both healthy, both adjusted to be teams main focal point
Sekera-Green > To vets, Sekera back from injury. Green fills he RHD role
Nurse-Benning > Go back to the bottom pairing that dominated (yes dominated) in this role 2 years ago. One of the stronger bottom pairings in the league, potential to be even better than Sekera/Green

Russell traded for a vet depth forward to make cap space for Green

I love Draisaitl so naturally I'm assuming Chia trades him. I'm pretty much expecting it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He actually did resemble an NHL D by nearly any stat. He resembled a good top 4 D more than he resembled a non NHLer. Again, just because people have blinding biases when it comes to evaluating D doesnt make it reality

I'm not being completely serious in the thread. I don't like Benning, but this seems like a lot to pay for a poor option 6/7 that teams bend over for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad