Benning confirmed to be the worst GM in the NHL

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Are you kidding me? Don't try to gaslight the rest of HF. You're literally taking Benning's excuse that he or Aqua will try to peddle at year end. Prior to the covid outbreak, the Canucks had raised their playoff chances from 2% to 16%.

Yeah, it was definitely covid that caused them to miss. For sure.
My comment was in reply to 'I dont know how the Canucks could be worse than Detroit this year'..obviously, they plummeted in the standings after their 3 covid episode..(they were 16-18-3 before the break)...Nowhere did I say that covid is the 'reason' they missed the playoffs.

So take your hysterical response somewhere else..and learn to read.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Someone actually believes Jim Benning is a better GM than Marc Bergevin?

Canucks have an average winning % below .500 since Benning took over the team as GM in 2014.

Buffalo, Arizona, Detroit, New Jersey, Ottawa are the others and none spent to the ceiling every single year like Vancouver has.
Absolutely..........I would make that swap in a heartbeat.............we have suffered longer than you guys. yes, Bergevin has thrown a few things at the wall, and they have stuck, but total luck on his part. 9 years on the job, he still has no real #1 centre........5 years now, and no replacement for Markov.....can't tank, can't compete......brutal absolutely brutal.
The list goes on and on............as it probably does for you guys, but all jokes aside, no way you would want Bergevin.
All Bergevin has done is lowered the standards and moved the goalposts in Montreal. Lays it all at the feet of the goalie, and then blames injuries,
Rinse and repeat....

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
His body of work is as bad as anyone out there. Where he really separates himself from the rest, is the lies to the public and all the behind the scenes idiocy. There is so much stuff leaked that will never be fully confirmed, but when you add it all up and use your brain, you begin to see that anyone competent within the organization has gotten pushed out because they are a threat to Jim. Literally the only thing Benning hasn't completely screwed up is drafting, but then you realize Brackett made all the good picks(he was pushed out) and Benning was even overuled and didn't want Pettersson. Benning also Handpicked Juolevi and Virtanen among other busts. So the only thing he's remotely ok at, he actually sucks at, but just gets credit for someone else's work. He IS the worst hands down, although it's hard to blame other people's ignorance to all the things that aren't widely reported. Without following closely for years, they really can't know all the deceitful crap Benning has done. He's ahead of the rest by a mile

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
The problem is who wants to work for the Canucks? With the reputation that our owner is heavily interfering the GM's decision, who wants to come to work for us?

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
So is he gone?
upload_2021-5-18_13-56-27.jpeg
honestly he has been here for a long time, i am starting to accept he is not going anywhere

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Someone actually believes Jim Benning is a better GM than Marc Bergevin?

Canucks have an average winning % below .500 since Benning took over the team as GM in 2014.

Buffalo, Arizona, Detroit, New Jersey, Ottawa are the others and none spent to the ceiling every single year like Vancouver has.

Actually, up until this year, I found that Montreal is = to Vancouver

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Big ouch for Canuck fans if true.

I think I’ve watched almost every Canucks game over the last 5 years and the vast majority of them for the previous 10 years before that. But in the last 30 Canucks games I’ve maybe watched 3, and with this news I really can’t see myself watching any next season. Just have zero interest.

It’s so hard to follow a team when there isn’t any hope. A team can bad and still fun to follow is there’s hope for a better future. This team does not have that. Yes, I know there’s some nice pieces here, but that makes it even more frustrating. To watch tremendous young talents like Pettersson and Hughes have their careers wasted away due to a management team full of mental midgets is too painful to watch, so I’m out.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Benning at least got the drafting/development side good. Bergevin's only win is getting Toffoli.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I'd rather have Benning than a glorified yes man in Kevyn Adams.
Benning is a glorified yes man. He's been kept around for so long because he's Aqualini's glorified lap dog and lets him meddle in Canuck hockey ops

Team is such an embarrassment to be a fan of. 50+ years of failure and no light at the end of this tunnel now

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
My comment was in reply to 'I dont know how the Canucks could be worse than Detroit this year'..obviously, they plummeted in the standings after their 3 covid episode..(they were 16-18-3 before the break)...Nowhere did I say that covid is the 'reason' they missed the playoffs.

So take your hysterical response somewhere else..and learn to read.
Solid argument. So instead of being just 1 point ahead of Detroit the Canucks would have been 4 points ahead of Detroit if not for covid. Way to stick to the important arguments even here in the main board PoM. Terrible GM who f***ed over this team with garbage trade after garbage signing, over and over, but you have a problem if someone doesnt correctly agree with your point about how they would relate to other bottom dwelling teams that are actually rebuilding :laugh:

$6 million Eriksson
$4.375 million Sutter
$3.5 million Ferland
$3 million Beagle
$3 million Roussell
$2.5 million Virtanen
$2.5 million Baertchi
$1 million Spooner

Reactions: jd22 and bh53

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It makes no sense letting him stay. If Green isn't coming back, that means Benning will pick the next coach. So if Benning is fired a year from now, the next GM will have to inherit Green's replacement unless that coach also gets fired with Benning next year, and that means the owners will have to pay the fired coach to sit at home for however many years are left on his contract.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad