B-Sens Belleville 2018-2019 Season Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
After sneaking into the AHL playoffs on the last day of the season, Cleveland are now one win away from sweeping division winner/top-seed Syracuse. Would be the same outcome as the first round series between their NHL affiliates in Columbus and Tampa.

Life is weird sometimes.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
After sneaking into the AHL playoffs on the last day of the season, Cleveland are now one win away from sweeping division winner/top-seed Syracuse. Would be the same outcome as the first round series between their NHL affiliates in Columbus and Tampa.

Life is weird sometimes.
Imagine if the B-Sens lose to an ECHL roster in a playoff-clinching game.

Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well they likely dont have as much of a proven track record if they play less time in the NHL thus not having to pay them as much. I dont agree with this angle personally all I care about is their development but I cant help but think that perhaps Melnyk thinks this way.

I would like to give the prospects more time to develop their skills in the AHL; however, the GM has traded away the skilled vets creating opportunities for someone to fill, and there are few other options except for over-the-hill UFA vets. However, tanking for high end draft picks does require some sacrifices. Perhaps there is room for Paajarvi, Gibbons, etc. next year on cheap one year deals to fill the holes until the youngsters are NHL-ready.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would like to give the prospects more time to develop their skills in the AHL; however, the GM has traded away the skilled vets creating opportunities for someone to fill, and there are few other options except for over-the-hill UFA vets. However, tanking for high end draft picks does require some sacrifices. Perhaps there is room for Paajarvi, Gibbons, etc. next year on cheap one year deals to fill the holes until the youngsters are NHL-ready.
It's a good point & they might not want to bring up too many young guys to have to protect in the expansion draft that's also coming soon.

Reactions: Cosmix

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Isn't that interesting given the yr that Batherson had, hopefully he turns into a really good goalie for Ott & a starter.

Batherson had a great year but there were definitely adjustment periods and he slowed down a little bit towards the end of the year, where Hogberg was simply just a rock all season

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Batherson had a great year but there were definitely adjustment periods and he slowed down a little bit towards the end of the year, where Hogberg was simply just a rock all season
I guess we'll see what we have in Hogberg next season, if the decision is made for him to be the backup & I don't see why they wouldn't given he had a decent yr in Belleville & will be cheaper than Nilsson.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
From Friedman's 31 thoughts, he speculated whether or not Mann might get a job as an assistant in Ottawa. If so, we would need a new HC for Belleville

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
whats the rush in promoting Mann i wonder. Unless its cause his brother is already up here.

It could be cause he knows the young guys but so does Kelly

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Cause it'd be the cheapest option. Look no further

You really do have to wonder how much of it will depend on the cost of a new HC & how much influence the owner will have in picking the new guy. I could see them going back with Crawford HC, Mann & Kelly as assistants & maybe hiring a guy like Tourigney for Belleville, if he would be willing to take that job. Then in due time they would have the choice of Mann or Tourigney to replace Crawford who would be basically a transition coach & the costs would still be rather low for EM. Giving Kelly a HC job in Belleville is also intriguing.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
You really do have to wonder how much of it will depend on the cost of a new HC & how much influence the owner will have in picking the new guy. I could see them going back with Crawford HC, Mann & Kelly as assistants & maybe hiring a guy like Tourigney for Belleville, if he would be willing to take that job. Then in due time they would have the choice of Mann or Tourigney to replace Crawford who would be basically a transition coach & the costs would still be rather low for EM. Giving Kelly a HC job in Belleville is also intriguing.

Tourigny worked for the Senators a few years back and it did not go very well. Doubt he'd come back to the organization.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I guess for me the major decision is about building a short term AHL dominant team in Belleville - with all the prospects in place to learn how to win together - before they get promoted to the NHL, or not.

If Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom, et al get an infusion of Norris, Formenton and 2019 Draft picks etc then Sens have a shot at a top 3 pick next year. If many of them are promoted from Belleville to give Ottawa fans something to talk about, I think an opportunity to install a winning attitude will be missed. As much as I’d like them here, I’d rather wait the year.

And Kelly would be a great fit

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
So we signed Nick Ebert?

Seems like a decent move, he put up decent AHL #s as a 22/23 yr old, and put up good #s in the KHL and SHL. Led his team in D scoring in the K and led his team in scoring, period, in the SHL. All told he was 4th in D scoring this last yer in the SHL and 2nd in goals.

Good skater, good shot, right D... not a guy we should count on, maybe not even a potential call up plug, but he should be a solid AHL DMan for us

I believe he is only one of three RD under contract... Ceci is RFA, Burgdoerfer, Elliott and Goloubef are UFA.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So we signed Nick Ebert?

Seems like a decent move, he put up decent AHL #s as a 22/23 yr old, and put up good #s in the KHL and SHL. Led his team in D scoring in the K and led his team in scoring, period, in the SHL. All told he was 4th in D scoring this last yer in the SHL and 2nd in goals.

Good skater, good shot, right D... not a guy we should count on, maybe not even a potential call up plug, but he should be a solid AHL DMan for us

I believe he is only one of three RD under contract... Ceci is RFA, Burgdoerfer, Elliott and Goloubef are UFA.

good move. Addresses an area of weakness

Edit: looks like a 1 way ..(maybe lol) I'd be ok with that

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Lot of work to be done on that Belleville blueline if the team is going to be competitive at all in this upcoming season. As of now I guess it's Lajoie, Ebert and maybe Englund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad