Pre-Game Talk: Behold, the Era of Sabourin to begin tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Over under 1 week until Barabanov is traded?

Robertson will be back soon, he's been passed by both Boyd and Petan, and I think the Leafs will want to make sure he doesn't have to sit on the taxi squad so they can grant his wish of playing in the NHL.

I'd give it a week before he is moved to replace our lost 7th round pick in 2021... Or for a depth guy on the Marlies. Or maybe a week after Robertson comes back, so maybe a week and a half.

Don't know that he has trade value. Might be someone a team grabs off of the waiver wire though? I obviously hope he can return some kind of asset if the decision is made to move on from him.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
When healthy, I'd like to see something like this:

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Robertson-Spezza-Vesey
Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Bogosian

Robertson rotates up in Jumbo's spot throughout the game, to get his minutes up, and Jumbo the rest he needs.
I'm okay with guys like Engvall, Boyd, Petan, maybe even Sabourin challenging for Vesey's spot too. He hasn't been good. Mikheyev needs to wake up too imo

Reactions: Lumberg

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Anything less than 6 points will be a disappointment for the Leafs, sort of a no-win situation playing bottom feeders 3 in a row.

Reactions: BigBlu

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Only seeing ice time due to Ottawa having a few bangers on their roster and Simmonds being injured. I hope Sabourin does well though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Don't know that he has trade value. Might be someone a team grabs off of the waiver wire though? I obviously hope he can return some kind of asset if the decision is made to move on from him.

He had 20 teams interested in him before he came over. A handful of games is not going to suddenly diminish all of that interest. Some team would give up a 7th or another Petan to give him a shot, and worst case he is waiver-exempt depth for that other team's playoff run. The same sort of thing happened to Par Lindholm when we first brought him over.

The only reason why the Leafs wouldn't keep him is if they want to keep their promise of giving him a shot at an NHL job since we don't really need him for depth. If he gets moved and still can't crack a lineup, then he is just not good enough and will likely go back to Russia next year.

Reactions: Buds17

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

if he is a half-decent skater and has that skillset he could easily bump someone who isn't scoring.

Except what you see in that clip is literally all he brings. He is not a half-decent skater, he has no defensive or offensive game, and fighting is all he brings. It's like putting Colton Orr back in the lineup.

He is a negative value player.

Reactions: stickty111

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Heh its never quite perfect, but that's two lines I really wanted to see.

The only time tavares/Nylander have looked dominant this year is when Hyman was there for one game. Worth another look for sure.

And I've been dying to see that 3rd line Mikheyev-kerfoot-engvall as I think they can own the ice with speed size and length.

Nice to see vesey demoted too. The sabourin thing is dumb though. And Spezza can't play C. So hopefully that 4th line barely plays.
Glad to see the coach want some physical players in the lineup. Sabourine will win a job. I love it. We need more Sabourine’s

Reactions: OVO16

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Sabourin is also a bit of an insurance policy if Ottawa decides to start running around on Toronto if things get out of hand. Ideally you want the team to be able to handle that man to man, but having a guy there just in case, or provide a spark isn't the end of the world.
Yup, we should be able to comfortably beat Ottawa regardless of if Sabourin plays or not. He's only in if they start taking shots at our big guys

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
IMO
Dressing a "negative player" such as Sabourin is OK if it makes others in the lineup a little more comfortable.
It is not like he will be used to kill penalties or play the PP.

If it stops other teams from playing carefree I don't mind it once in a while.

Vesey is due the Tatar treatment...WAKE UP DUDE!!

Reactions: Duckrider

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Good to have some size and toughness in there. Soup, Boyd, Engvall, Kerfoot - could sit any one of them right now
When it’s time for Robertson to return after the Marlies finish up this road trip, I wouldn’t be surprised if Anderson comes right along with him. Two weeks from now the pre scout will say hit them mercilessly and they will wear down with no answer back. Still soft.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Good. Adds another opportunity to get rid of it. He wouldn’t even get claimed and half the board thinks he’s good

Some think Engvall gets you Bennett and they hate Bennett. Engvall, Barabanov, Brooks, Vesey, Anderson and Petan might get you a bag of new pucks. Soup, Kerfoot, and Boyd might get you a mid round pick and a bag of used pucks.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Some think Engvall gets you Bennett and they hate Bennett. Engvall, Barabanov, Brooks, Vesey, Anderson and Petan might get you a bag of new pucks. Soup, Kerfoot, and Boyd might get you a mid round pick and a bag of used pucks.
The more nasty the bottom six gets the more I’ll like it.

Reactions: ToneDog

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He had 20 teams interested in him before he came over. A handful of games is not going to suddenly diminish all of that interest. Some team would give up a 7th or another Petan to give him a shot, and worst case he is waiver-exempt depth for that other team's playoff run. The same sort of thing happened to Par Lindholm when we first brought him over.

The only reason why the Leafs wouldn't keep him is if they want to keep their promise of giving him a shot at an NHL job since we don't really need him for depth. If he gets moved and still can't crack a lineup, then he is just not good enough and will likely go back to Russia next year.

That interest was in him as a UFA though. Trading for him could be different. Lindholm also had more of an opportunity to prove his worth. A team with an injury situation could change things in a hurry though and I'd agree that a 7th or a bubble player wouldn't be out of the question as a return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad