Pre-Game Talk: Behold, the Era of Sabourin to begin tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Don't mind Thornton back on the top line. JT and Nylander need Hyman to give them a jolt. I really like the 3rd line. Perfect balance of skill, size and speed plus 2 way play.
Sabourin is just stramge though. The 4th line is barely playable now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Heh its never quite perfect, but that's two lines I really wanted to see.

The only time tavares/Nylander have looked dominant this year is when Hyman was there for one game. Worth another look for sure.

And I've been dying to see that 3rd line Mikheyev-kerfoot-engvall as I think they can own the ice with speed size and length.

Nice to see vesey demoted too. The sabourin thing is dumb though. And Spezza can't play C. So hopefully that 4th line barely plays.

Whatever line Hyman is on dominates.

Reactions: rubous and Buds17

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I honestly expect leafs to score 15 goals this series and allow 6 or less

Time to show the hockey world we can blowout the sens and are the clear cut best team in the division.

Nylander+Tavares expecting 4-6 pts in 3 games to shutdown the doubters.

Hopefully Joe can keep up with 16 and 34 who have been magical so far.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I honestly expect leafs to score 15 goals this series and allow 6 or less

Time to show the hockey world we can blowout the sens and are the clear cut best team in the division.

Nylander+Tavares expecting 4-6 pts in 3 games to shutdown the doubters.

Hopefully Joe can keep up with 16 and 34 who have been magical so far.

Honestly man, blowing out the Sens in 3 games proves nothing to the hockey world. Come on now. Don't get me wrong, the Leafs have been really good, but beating up on the hens means nothing. I just wanna fast forward to the playoffs because that's when the "real hockey" starts.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Am I the only person looking at that lineup and thinking thank **** Tavares and Nylander are getting Hyman to help shore up that 2nd line?

I think anyone besides Mikheyev would have worked well for that line (Vesey, Hyman, etc.) . Mikheyev was working better with Kerfoot anyways.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Am I the only person looking at that lineup and thinking thank **** Tavares and Nylander are getting Hyman to help shore up that 2nd line?

No. Theyve been a bit snakebitten offensively for a couple games and could use an energy guy (with a bit of skill) to help them shake it off. Hyman seems like the best guy for that. Especially if they dont want to break up the two tandems of the big 4.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What a difference a few years make. One time all you hear is cries about Hyman being anywhere but the 4th line and later on, we're hoping he can spark Tavares to have a better points/60 then Kerfoot.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What a difference a few years make. One time all you hear is cries about Hyman being anywhere but the 4th line and later on, we're hoping he can spark Tavares to have a better points/60 then Kerfoot.

You mean goals/60 right? Tavares' ES PTS/60 is still where he normally is at in his career, but his goals/60 is completely wacked right now.

Kerfoot is actually doing fairly well in the production department at ES. Despite not having any the support of any top guys this year, both his goal and point totals are right in line with his career average (and in line with Kadri this year as well). He's doing fairly well defensively too.

His possession numbers, especially his offensive possession numbers, are worse though. If he gets those in line with his career norms, he could have a career year production-wise.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Over under 1 week until Barabanov is traded?

Robertson will be back soon, he's been passed by both Boyd and Petan, and I think the Leafs will want to make sure he doesn't have to sit on the taxi squad so they can grant his wish of playing in the NHL.

I'd give it a week before he is moved to replace our lost 7th round pick in 2021... Or for a depth guy on the Marlies. Or maybe a week after Robertson comes back, so maybe a week and a half.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Whatever line Hyman is on dominates.

Not exactly.

I hoped he would help the 3rd line but he actually made it worse. And the Matthews line was just as dominant without Hyman as it has been with him.

But his skills do seem to work best when he's got top skill on his line to complement. In our case, I think Tavares needs hyman's skillset the most - that speed and puck pursuit plus good IQ helps cover tavares' weaknesses a bit, especially with speedy willy there too.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think anyone besides Mikheyev would have worked well for that line (Vesey, Hyman, etc.) . Mikheyev was working better with Kerfoot anyways.

I like Mikheyev but he doesn't distribute the puck well enough to play that 3rd wheel role imo

No. Theyve been a bit snakebitten offensively for a couple games and could use an energy guy (with a bit of skill) to help them shake it off. Hyman seems like the best guy for that. Especially if they dont want to break up the two tandems of the big 4.

It's more than that imo, they should be dominating with teams concentrating on the Matthews line but they are struggling to break even a lot of nights

Tavares and Nylander are bloody good players but they need help and I'm hopeful Hyman and his skillset can provide that

We need to try to find another Hyman "type " at the TDL, we need two of him

They definitely need something, Simmonds also looked like he gave that line a little jolt

That injury sucked, he was starting to really get going and pull his line and the entire team along with him

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Really like this line-up. If Thornton isn't hurting Matthews and Marner (which he wasn't before he got hurt), it really helps out Tavares and Nylander to get Hyman back. JT and Willy have been struggling without a grinder on their line. Sabourin adds grit with Simmonds out, which we looked like we needed the other night when Montreal decided to start throwing the body. And at full health, Vesey is realistically a 4th line PK guy for us with some decent size. Cheering for Sabourin tomorrow. Guys like him are hard not to root for

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sabourin is also a bit of an insurance policy if Ottawa decides to start running around on Toronto if things get out of hand. Ideally you want the team to be able to handle that man to man, but having a guy there just in case, or provide a spark isn't the end of the world.

Ottawa has no choice but to use physicality to attempt to slow down the Leafs as they don't have the skill to hang so they have to play the game in the trenches.

Sabourin's role is to make sure the opposition knows that if liberties are taken with Leaf players that payback for indiscretions will be forthcoming.

I don't think this is a matter of IF but rather WHEN as a forgone conclusion. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad