Pre-Game Talk: Behold, the Era of Sabourin to begin tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
My goodness it is a sad state of affairs when we have fans who are clamouring to have an AHL 4th liner like Sabourin in the lineup, yet think guys like Vesey are useless...
I'd like to see Vesey/Engvall/Boyd/Petan all rotated in an out for each other while we wait on Simmonds and Roberston to make their way back in.

Nobody else is ready to make an impact right now imo. Sabourin in makes no sense at all.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd like to see Vesey/Engvall/Boyd/Petan all rotated in an out for each other while we wait on Simmonds and Roberston to make their way back in.

Nobody else is ready to make an impact right now imo. Sabourin in makes no sense at all.

The issue is waivers. It is easy to rotate Petan, Boyd, and Spezza since they've cleared waivers, but Vesey and Engvall both require waivers and they have done well enough that there are some teams, especially teams with injuries, would probably consider claiming them.

They will probably rotate Robertson with Petan and Boyd until Robertson proves he deserves to play every day (which may not take very long) or if Spezza needs a break and the Leafs try Engvall down the middle for the odd game. Leafs could also call up Brooks for the 4C spot once in a while too I guess. Barabanov is on the outside at this point, so I expect him to get moved, and Sabourin should not even really be considered at all.

Boyd and Petan are nice options for a taxi squad, and they make Barabanov expendable, but I don't think it is a high priority to get them in every game. There will be enough injuries that they will get their fair share of games this year.

We can worry about Simmonds coming back in a month from now when he is closer to entering the lineup. A lot can change in that time (injuries, trades, etc.).

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Another fake parity game management series. Yay.

Maybe Hyman can help JT line.

Don't care about the Sabourin move, w/e. Playing former team, Boyd probably hurt from deliberate blindside from POS Kotkaniemi.

Let's see if this team needs to withstand assault again.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
My goodness it is a sad state of affairs when we have fans who are clamouring to have an AHL 4th liner like Sabourin in the lineup, yet think guys like Vesey are useless...
How about both ;)

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
How about both ;)
tenor.gif

If Matthews and Sabourin could hook up for a goal, that would be the bee's knees.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What do you mean both? Both having Sabourin in the lineup and Vesey being useless? That is the problem. Nobody should be thinking that is a good idea.
I'm not a fan of either guy being in the lineup. But as far as winning a hockey game goes Vesey is the better option. He doesn't exactly jump off the TV screen but he does do a couple useful things that can go unnoticed. Still think we have better options though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Anything less than 6 points will be a disappointment for the Leafs, sort of a no-win situation playing bottom feeders 3 in a row.

I'm expecting 4 because I expect Hutchinson to play Thursday and I don't trust him to win and if he does I still don't trust him to play well, if he wins I still expect them to need a minimum of 4 and probably 5 goals

horner

May 22, 2007

Keefe why mess with the too line .

Thornton did we give him a guarantee that he would play with Marner and mathews starting to wonder.

Boyd why is he coming out of the lineup Vesey should be on the taxi squad .
He and spezza are getting some good chemistry going .

Questionable decisions ?

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

Thornton did we give him a guarantee that he would play with Marner and mathews starting to wonder.

Questionable decisions ?

With how good Hyman has looked on the first line Thornton should have a short leash there. Best case is Matthews/Marner don’t miss a step with JT and Hyman can get Tavares/Nylander going.

Vesey should have been one of the ones rotating in and out the whole time. Looks like he’s slowly playing himself out of the line-up.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

Questionable decisions ?
They're messing with the top line because Matthews and Marner are playing incredible, inspired hockey. They'd dominate the Sens 4v5. Nylander and Tavares have been pretty flat for a while now, so they need a shot of Hyman in the arm to get going. Hyman is the team's fixer, he gets the wheels turning for whatever line he's on. Our offense needs to have both the top lines going, so moving Hyman around to get 'em a boost makes sense.

You're right about Boyd and Vesey, but the 4th line should not be a factor for the Leafs vs the 31st place team.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Is Boyd hurt? Because otherwise I don't get why he'd be out of the lineup over someone like Engvall. I can't be the only one who's liked his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad