OT: Beer Thread II

KingsRule

Jul 1, 2008
SoCal
I just drank a Union Jack that someone gave me. Pretty hoppy, I had heard a lot about it and I was not too impressed. Then again, I tend to steer clear of hoppy beers.

I love Union Jack. Im big into IPAs lately. anyone who likes them needs to try the Green Flash... mmm mmm good

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Had one the other day, loved it. Need to go back and get some more. Have you had the Sublimely Selfrighteous?

What brewery is this from (vertical Epic or 11/11/11 or whatever it is) and could I find it in the midwest?

I'll also throw the 2012 black ale from Point brewery out there as another really solid beer to look into if you can find it in your areas.
Try their website, they have a distributor locator on it. And check your local Target, I know the ones here carry Stone, might be worth a shot.

IPAFiend

Jan 19, 2009
West Covina
The beer I have been enjoying lately is Lagunitas Sucks.
That IPA is bad ass.
BrownShugga-substitute_sucks_holiday-ale_Tap.jpg

Roxo

Feb 3, 2007
Pearl Harbor, HI
Just racked my wort in to the secondary fermenter. A 5 gallon carboy. So far it looks promising and it tasted fine. my gravity went from 1.044 to 1.021. So everything is right on schedule. I bottle next weekend. I'll post some pics then. Brewing beer is almost as fun as drinking beer.

I did a pale ale. 1 pound of carmel malt grains, 6 pounds pale malt extract, 2 oz cascade hops with Muntons dry yeast.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
IPAs you say?

Ninkasi Tricerahops Double IPA.

Also Russian River's Blind Pig.

You're welcome.

Captain Mittens*

Has anyone tried Evan's premium lager?
Pretty solid beer. The Black Lager is really good

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
How about MISSISSIPPI MUD? Famous slow brewed black & tan porter & pilsner beer.

I havent had one of those in years. I should go pick one up, Trader Joes used to have a good deal on them.

Not beer but I was drinking Woodford Double Barrel last night and it did not disappoint. The different flavors had my mouth buzzing.

KingsRule

Jul 1, 2008
SoCal
Took a tour of the Stone brewery in Escondido this weekend. Damn i love IPA's. They just started brewing a new one, my new favorite beer, a smoked porter with chipotle. its amazing!

Captain Mittens*

Anderson Valley Summer Solstice is almost too good. I had one too many last night

IPAFiend

Jan 19, 2009
West Covina
This past weekend at a rare beer tasting @ Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach I got to taste a Thomas Hardy Ale from 1993. A friend of mine who knows I love The Kings shared it with me.
He said he's been saving it until the Kings won the cup. It tasted pretty damn good.
Photo0200.jpg

Another friend of mine who is a brewer at Newport Beach Brewing Company shared his "Lord Stanley IPA from a growler.

A few years back Steelhead Brewing in Irvine used to have a Lord Stanley's Stout on tap

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
My brother in law won 2nd place at the OC fair homebrew competition

I don't know if anyone's had it but damn, Shipyard Brewing Company's Applehead.

Anderson Valley Summer Solstice is almost too good. I had one too many last night

Everything Anderson Valley is good.. at least from what I've tried. That Amber Ale is fantastic!

Beer is the bane of my existence right now. Want beer to taste better than it ever has before, even Coors LIght? Try not drinking it for 3 months. The only positive is I've been drinking more whiskey and I am now a fan of Jack Daniels on the rocks. That is a great drink!

Captain Mittens*

Everything Anderson Valley is good.. at least from what I've tried. That Amber Ale is fantastic!

Beer is the bane of my existence right now. Want beer to taste better than it ever has before, even Coors LIght? Try not drinking it for 3 months. The only positive is I've been drinking more whiskey and I am now a fan of Jack Daniels on the rocks. That is a great drink!

Congrats on the weight loss my thin friend!

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006

My drink of choice is Gentleman Jack & ice. I know some say it's whiskey for chicks, but it sure is smooth. My friend is trying to get me to try Dickells No. 12. Haven't tried it yet but soon.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
I'm going to San Diego this weekend and I'm looking for some recommendations on a brewery to visit. Looks like there are quite a few in the area and my first choice would probably be stone, however its about an hour away from the hotel and I'd like to find something no further than about 30 minutes out.

Do you guys know of any worth visiting in that proximity? I believe I'm staying at the Hilton. Also, any restaurant/bar recommendations in that area?

Thanks!

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Canadian beer sucks.

This again? :shakehead

I understand your frustration when the rabble of normal beer drinkers (justly) bashes American macros and subsequently (unjustly) labels all American beer as ****.

But please don't do the same bloody thing to Canadian beer. In Ontario alone, there is a burgeoning craft brewery industry that is pumping out some awesome stuff. It's not Oregon yet but it's getting there. Beau's, Flying Monkey, Muskoka, Barley Days, Camerons, hell Mill St. too are pumping out a slew of terrific beers. Just because you only see Labatt or Molson in the States does mean that is reflective of all Canadian beer.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
This again? :shakehead

I understand your frustration when the rabble of normal beer drinkers (justly) bashes American macros and subsequently (unjustly) labels all American beer as ****.

But please don't do the same bloody thing to Canadian beer. In Ontario alone, there is a burgeoning craft brewery industry that is pumping out some awesome stuff. It's not Oregon yet but it's getting there. Beau's, Flying Monkey, Muskoka, Barley Days, Camerons, hell Mill St. too are pumping out a slew of terrific beers. Just because you only see Labatt or Molson in the States does mean that is reflective of all Canadian beer.
Haha, I don't really feel that way, it's from Canadian Bacon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad