OT: Beer Thread II

KingNothing4

Sep 10, 2009
Basement of Staples
I'm going to San Diego this weekend and I'm looking for some recommendations on a brewery to visit. Looks like there are quite a few in the area and my first choice would probably be stone, however its about an hour away from the hotel and I'd like to find something no further than about 30 minutes out.

Do you guys know of any worth visiting in that proximity? I believe I'm staying at the Hilton. Also, any restaurant/bar recommendations in that area?

Thanks!

Stone Brewery in Escondido had a fun tour when I took it 4 years ago. The guy was cool and was pretty passionate about his beer. He even mentioned some other micro breweries that he enjoyed nearby because you can't drink the same stuff all the time. I do enjoy their really hoppy, strong beers, too. At the the end of the tour they mentioned that you are only allowed two samples (some sort of law or regulation I believe), but they said it was up to you to keep track. I got to sample everything they had to sample, fun time.

karapaks

Jun 30, 2013
Hi,

Ths chokeberry brandy sound soo yummy! Any chance you still know where to get it or even better how to make it?

Thx,
RAF

Well my imbibing friends, today being one of the days that I drink out of the year firstly I would like to say cheers to you all!

Secondly I have had two pilsner and one honey lager that had generational hops? Who knows but as someone who tends to like fruit flavored girlie drinks I enjoyed each of these beers. One is called Fingerlings Ale and the other two were called Verboten Brau which I thought was kind of a funny name.

Other than that my good old home made chokeberry brandy which I would share with each of you given the opportunity. It is just so perfectly balanced. I am heathen so I serve it in a 50/50 mix of soda water and it tastes like a chokeberry Italian soda sort of. Don't care, its really good and always makes everyone who drinks it smile and have a happy time.

So here is to you all each and every one of us! God bless us Kings fans tonight and for the rest of the year!

magic-hat-9.jpg

Captain Mittens*

The best.

So happy they've finally gone national with distribution. Best thing that's happened to beer since Leinekuegal's being bought by Miller. Can finally get it most places I go for a decent price, instead of insanely high prices when not on the east coast.

Where do you live? I am not buying these Antarctica shenanigans for another minute

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Hey, so I was thinking about going to BevMo tomorrow and picking up a 6-pack for the weekend. I was thinking about getting the Paulaner Hefeweizen, but before I fully commit to it, do you guys have any other suggestions that may sway me away from the Paulaner?

HolyShot*

Hey, so I was thinking about going to BevMo tomorrow and picking up a 6-pack for the weekend. I was thinking about getting the Paulaner Hefeweizen, but before I fully commit to it, do you guys have any other suggestions that may sway me away from the Paulaner?
Youngs double chocolate stout. It'll change your life.

Angel City Brewing east LA... anyone been? How about Beachwood Brewery in Long Beach? I'll probably go to Beachwood eventually but just curious if anyone has any feedback.

Mammoth Lakes brewing makes some of the best beer I've ever had. If you are ever in Mammoth Lakes, stop by and do tasting. The only place that sells it in So Cal right now is High Times in Costa Mesa.

dppa.jpg

Speaking of Magic Hat.. Magic Hat #9 - bought that on a whim a few months back. It was pretty good. I see it at bars all the time now. I'll have to check for that hibiscus/cucumber beer.

I've been sampling a lot of the $2 22 ounce beers at Trader Joes lately. Some of them are pretty good but I can't think of their names off hand.

I had one of these guys last night and it was real good:

stone-sublimely-self-righteous-ale.jpg

These guys too:

tumblr_lpsz3k0oW51qes3igo1_r1_500.jpg

Anybody drink Whisky/Whiskey? I've been on a long Whisky journey for a few years now. I started with single malt scotch, then blended scotch, then Rye and now Bourbon. I really like Bourbon but I'm still trying to find my favorite. So far my favorite is Woodford Reserve. That stuff is delicious. Now that I've been drinking bourbon and what not, Scotch tastes less flavorful. I'm not sure why but maybe I should start drinking it neat to really enjoy it.

TheContinental

Oct 6, 2006
Angel City Brewing east LA... anyone been? How about Beachwood Brewery in Long Beach? I'll probably go to Beachwood eventually but just curious if anyone has any feedback.

Mammoth Lakes brewing makes some of the best beer I've ever had. If you are ever in Mammoth Lakes, stop by and do tasting. The only place that sells it in So Cal right now is High Times in Costa Mesa.

dppa.jpg

Speaking of Magic Hat.. Magic Hat #9 - bought that on a whim a few months back. It was pretty good. I see it at bars all the time now. I'll have to check for that hibiscus/cucumber beer.

I've been sampling a lot of the $2 22 ounce beers at Trader Joes lately. Some of them are pretty good but I can't think of their names off hand.

I had one of these guys last night and it was real good:

stone-sublimely-self-righteous-ale.jpg

These guys too:

tumblr_lpsz3k0oW51qes3igo1_r1_500.jpg

Why have I not heard of this 2$ TJ 22oz deal before? Is it all TJs?

Not been to Angel City but heard good feedback. Also Golden Road up the 5 fwy. Nearer to Angel City is Wurstkuche -- beer and sausage, belgian fries. Winner. Plus, La Chouffe on tap.

Why have I not heard of this 2$ TJ 22oz deal before? Is it all TJs?

Not been to Angel City but heard good feedback. Also Golden Road up the 5 fwy. Nearer to Angel City is Wurstkuche -- beer and sausage, belgian fries. Winner. Plus, La Chouffe on tap.

I've heard of that german place too but never been. I used to work in DTLA and the bars is what I miss most. :)

Mission Street and Boatswain or the Label names but they both make a variety of brown ales, ipa's and hefeweizens. They all cost $2 for a 22 ouncer bottle or $6 a 6-pack I believe. This top picture has some of the other beers at trader joes. For $3.50 a 6-pack, I like to stock my fridge up with Simpler Times and Name Tag. That's cheaper than Coors/Budweiser.

portland-press-herald_3423082.jpg

20120418boatswain.jpg

TheContinental

Oct 6, 2006
Mission Street and Boatswain or the Label names but they both make a variety of brown ales, ipa's and hefeweizens. They all cost $2 for a 22 ouncer bottle or $6 a 6-pack I believe. This top picture has some of the other beers at trader joes. For $3.50 a 6-pack, I like to stock my fridge up with Simpler Times and Name Tag. That's cheaper than Coors/Budweiser.

Ah yes Boatswain. had that one before. Not bad for 2$/22oz. Must stock up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad