OT: Beer Thread II

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
FYI for anyone living in the Camarillo area, there is a small place, Village Commons Market, that has an incredible selections of beer. Hundreds of choices, and best of all, a Beer Cave. Refrigerated area in the fridge that you can walk into. Outstanding.

Alternate Jersey

Jul 8, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
k, so this was my first time having one, and it was a "house" beer, but i just had an IPA, and totally hated it. fwiw, my favorite beer is newcastle. so maybe my hating the IPA i had made sense, but damn, it was gross.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Looking for opinions about Dogfish Head Brown Ale. Drinking one at this moment for the first time and enjoying it greatly! Really wish I had a nice cigar to go with it :handclap:

Captain Mittens*

Looking for opinions about Dogfish Head Brown Ale. Drinking one at this moment for the first time and enjoying it greatly! Really wish I had a nice cigar to go with it :handclap:

It's pretty good. I imagine it would be good with a Padron Maduro.

If you haven't tried Palo Santo from Dogfish, do. It's a wood aged brown and it's awesome.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
A gift from a friend brought me twelve new beers

This one (BLACK TUSK ALE from Whistler breweries) is very good:
black color, malty smell, dark with a taste of chocolate and a slight hint of coffee.

k, so this was my first time having one, and it was a "house" beer, but i just had an IPA, and totally hated it. fwiw, my favorite beer is newcastle. so maybe my hating the IPA i had made sense, but damn, it was gross.

I'm not a fan of Pale Ale either. There are some that are ok but for the most part, it tastes like a roll of pennies. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of my least favorite beers. I'd rather have Coors Light.

Newcastle is a Brown Ale. Try Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale. You can find it at just about any grocery store / liquor store. I believe they only sell it in a tall bottle with foil on the top. That is some good stuff right there. There are a few others I've tried. Rogue has a Hazelnut brown ale which is ok. Definitely not worth the money in my opinion (~$5 for a tall bottle) but it is good.

Another really good beer you find in the tall bottle section of any respectable liquor store, Fischer. That stuff is delicious. I believe it comes from France. Who knew the French made something good besides toast and fries?

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm totally with you. Pale ales just taste sour and skunky to me, I'll take something dark any day.

Edit: Just saw Buddy's post, I totally agree on the suggestions. Another one I really like is San Miguel Dark. Trader Joe's has it, $6 for a six-pack and the absolute best value for money out there.

But Buddy, regarding French cuisine: filet mignon. Look into it.

Captain Mittens*

I'm totally with you. Pale ales just taste sour and skunky to me, I'll take something dark any day.

Edit: Just saw Buddy's post, I totally agree on the suggestions. Another one I really like is San Miguel Dark. Trader Joe's has it, $6 for a six-pack and the absolute best value for money out there.

You two just don't like the hops they use in Pale Ales.
Kronenbourg1664 is another good French beer.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Our lager, Which art in barrels, Hallowed be thy drink. Thy will be drunk, I will be drunk , ......At home as it is in the tavern. Give us this day our foamy head, And forgive us our spillages, As we forgive those who spillest against us. And lead us not to incarceration, But deliver us from hangovers. For thine is the ale, the bitter, and the lager, for ever and ever, amen.

I don't eat beef so take that into consideration. I was a vegetarian for 11 years until about a year ago. I've never ate beef in my life though and really have no interest in changing that.

I didn't realize Kronenbourg was French, thought it was Danish for some reason but that is some good stuff too.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Diehard made it to London I see...Raise your hand if you've ever been this drunk...

*raises hand*

http://deadspin.com/5810050/watch-this-drunk-guy-stumble-home

ROFLMFAO.

It could be me, although I have no memory of being in London,
nor do I imagine that the guy in the video does either.

How sore must he have been the next morning or evening or whenever he woke up from that....

and I too must *raise hand* but its been a long, long time.

Heck, I haven't even had a beer since the Boston Bruins won Lord Stanley's Cup*
(a little promise I made w/ the man upstairs to ensure the 'nux wouldnt win the cup)

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Well my imbibing friends, today being one of the days that I drink out of the year firstly I would like to say cheers to you all!

Secondly I have had two pilsner and one honey lager that had generational hops? Who knows but as someone who tends to like fruit flavored girlie drinks I enjoyed each of these beers. One is called Fingerlings Ale and the other two were called Verboten Brau which I thought was kind of a funny name.

Other than that my good old home made chokeberry brandy which I would share with each of you given the opportunity. It is just so perfectly balanced. I am heathen so I serve it in a 50/50 mix of soda water and it tastes like a chokeberry Italian soda sort of. Don't care, its really good and always makes everyone who drinks it smile and have a happy time.

So here is to you all each and every one of us! God bless us Kings fans tonight and for the rest of the year!

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
I drank a few Fischer Ambers tonight. Good stuff.
pt-404510!1108.jpg

Captain Mittens*

I have been trying a lot of great divide's beers

Their saison and scotch ale are good drinking!

Colette+glass.jpg

5496901059_5cb9bea787.jpg

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Not sure if anyone here would have ever had or tried it...but I spent a year in Calgary and found a beer I was pretty fond of. Its called Granville Island Maple Cream. I'm no beer expert but I liked it. Just curious if anyones even heard of it. Believe its just a small microbrewery in Vancouver so doubt anyone has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->