OT: Beer Thread II

scryan

May 1, 2013
RP, your a Golden Roads fan yeah? You know they are planning a second production facility in Anaheim?

The girl who runs it or whatever just did an interview on the brewing networks Sunday session podcast, Interesting to hear her go into details of the buyout and how it actually happens from first contact too.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah, I like their stuff, especially their (look away Buddy) Hefeweizen. Didn't know about that though. Haven't been to their San Fernando Rd location either.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Really smooth for an IPA.

dogfish_60.jpg

Captain Mittens*

Had a few last year with a filet mignon at my Christmas party. Very good! Their 90 minute is great too. They have a ton of beers.

No ****? With a steak?

That beer completely numbed my taste buds for an hour after drinking it. I was also completely destroyed off of that beer and the beer I drank before it. 18% abv is no joke

I went to Vons today and they had a s-load of "craft" beer bombers on clearance. I picked up the following for $38 including tax:

Green Flash Citra Session IPA x2
Rogue Nut Brown (Love nut brown's and Rogue's is decent but not great) x2
Sam Adams Tetravis
Sam Adams New World Tripel
Firestone Opal Saison
Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA

I also bought these not on the clearance rack:

Anderson Valley Brother David's Triple Abbey Style
Cali Creamin Cream Ale (I really like this stuff)
The Bruery Saison Rue

So far all I've tried are the Citra Session and the Opal. I wasn't a fan of either to be honest. Not bad by any means but nothing noteworthy. The Opal was actually kind of refreshing after having just run a half marathon a few hour prior but I thought it kind of lacked flavor. Just a mild hopiness.

The Counter, there is one by your office, has a pretty good beer selection. There are other options as well

There is also this place. Not bad, but also not great

http://www.theclassicq.com/index_d.php

The Counter has the best Turkey Burger besides Burger Lounge in San Diego. I haven't been to the Counter in a while but I'll have to find one near me or go to a Kings game early and go to the one in DTLA.

Captain Mittens*

The Counter has the best Turkey Burger besides Burger Lounge in San Diego. I haven't been to the Counter in a while but I'll have to find one near me or go to a Kings game early and go to the one in DTLA.

There are two in Irvine and one in Newport. I am down to go whenever you want.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I went to Vons today and they had a s-load of "craft" beer bombers on clearance. I picked up the following for $38 including tax:

Green Flash Citra Session IPA x2
Rogue Nut Brown (Love nut brown's and Rogue's is decent but not great) x2
Sam Adams Tetravis
Sam Adams New World Tripel
Firestone Opal Saison
Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA

I also bought these not on the clearance rack:

Anderson Valley Brother David's Triple Abbey Style
Cali Creamin Cream Ale (I really like this stuff)
The Bruery Saison Rue

So far all I've tried are the Citra Session and the Opal. I wasn't a fan of either to be honest. Not bad by any means but nothing noteworthy. The Opal was actually kind of refreshing after having just run a half marathon a few hour prior but I thought it kind of lacked flavor. Just a mild hopiness.
Haven't had the citra session, but to be fair to it... Clearance rack IPA wont be at its best... No doubt its months old and possibly stored warm :( At least the Green Flash should have a bottled on date at the bottom of the bottle somewhere below the label.
IMO getting towards 3 months and on the hops fade enough to really change the experience, sometimes shifting balance among the hop flavors, not just between the hops and the malt. Beers that are a little more golden and use crystal malts especially change a bit more with age as the malts start to come through more. Sometimes beers with just pale malts will just taste weaker.
2 months never seems quite as good, but is generally still representative, IMO.
http://freshbeeronly.com/ is a pretty good resource if you have not seen it...
(sorry if this comes off on lecturing on stuff you already know, or overly beer snobby)

With the recent heat wave I decided to pick up a four pack of this this weekend.
north-coast-old-rasputin-ris.jpg

hahahaha.
Always a good one though, and reasonable price.

Last edited:

scryan

May 1, 2013
Well, **** it.. As long as I am lecturing...
:D

Keep in mind tempt too. MillerCoors (yeah, but they got those labs... Impressive science and process control behind those ****** beers) did a study where they came up with a 3/30/300 rule, where 3 days at 90F was the same as 30 days at 71F was the same as 300 days at 33F.

Not that beer explodes, is dangerous or even revolting when old... Just not as good, and sometimes the flavors can shift around. I mainly worry about it when I am overpaying for beer, cause I am already giving you too much damn money at least you could take care of it...like a 6 pack of sculpin for $16 and they hide the ****ing date in the label art AND use julian codes? dick move Ballast point, and doesn't really put their best foot forward either. Retailers like it though :D

scryan

May 1, 2013
EnjoyBy_1127Black.png

:handclap:
They did it!
They said, or hinted that they would when they killed of Self Righteous... But first batch was bottled last Thursday.

Waiting till the chicken finishes smoking, hopefully the malt is noticeable in this... As I recall Self Righteous used dark malts that added VERY little flavor, and the fact that it was a dark beer was very very subtle, especially considering how not subtle the hops were.

scryan

May 1, 2013
stone-smoked-porter.jpg

Wish I could get in 6 packs.

I remember last time I had it I though it tasted too much like liquid smoke ****ing up a decent porter..
Maybe I've been smoking meat a couple times a week lately, but I don't get too much smokey taste from it anymore.. Just a nice porter with some added bitterness. I dunno if I have ever mentioned it here... But I like a black IPA, and this is somewhat like a mellow and malty one to me. Not too bad, and not too expensive for a bomber... but bombers are always kinda a rip off compared to 6/12 packs.

Speaking of getting ripped off on bombers...
Picked this up too for the game tomorrow :D
Modern_Times_Monsters_Park_Imperial_Stout_22OZ_BTL_1024x1024.jpeg

too much damn money, but its boozy and Modern times does pretty good, so hoping it wont be a waste.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Modern_Times_Monsters_Park_Imperial_Stout_22OZ_BTL_1024x1024.jpeg

too much damn money, but its boozy and Modern times does pretty good, so hoping it wont be a waste.
Another beer that suffers from its price...

Certainly not bad... but not really stand out at all.
Maybe I am missing it but really lacks complexity, still a nice chocolatey dark maltiness... but just about that and a slight warmth/tinge from the alcohol. Really the most impressive part is that its 12% with out too much giving that away other then the lack of head/lacing a slight warmth and a very little bit of alcohol flavor. Further proof that if you taste heavy fusel alcohol flavors in a ~10% beer its not because its boozy, its because the brewer sucks.

But pulling off a higher ABV is not really enough, I'd rather have more of a great beet then some of a decent one...
At damn near ~$15 out the door for a 22oz, I'd WAY rather have the 48oz you get with a 4 pack of ten fiddy for ~$18 + tax
I guess from the brewing standpoint, good job on the fermentation... but I'm not paying a ton of money for just that :(

edit: At least I couldn't pick a better game night to be drinking a 12% beer....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->