OT: Beer Thread II

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
You should have asked them why the hell the discontinued Levitation!!!

Now...

beers-fathom-primary-image.png

Captain Mittens*

I have - you're right :) We're also fond of Ovila, but since it's a collaboration with real monks, there's just not going to be any more made. We're hoarding our supply :)

Two more to try , if you haven't

14616.jpg

DSC02129%255B1%255D.JPG

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Golden Road Brewing is being bought by Anheuser Busch. Millercoors also bought a majority stake in St. Archer Brewing Co.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
May have already been mentioned but Fortunate Islands from Modern Times is very good. They have it at Trader Joes right now.

11850185_1648551048690550_268198458_n.jpg

Bought a six pack of Ninkasi Wunderbier recently and like it as well
Wunderbier_1.jpg

I really like just about everything from Ninkasi, especially the Tricerahops. For the taste but also the name.

scryan

May 1, 2013
May have already been mentioned but Fortunate Islands from Modern Times is very good. They have it at Trader Joes right now.

11850185_1648551048690550_268198458_n.jpg

Bought a six pack of Ninkasi Wunderbier recently and like it as well
Wunderbier_1.jpg

I really like just about everything from Ninkasi, especially the Tricerahops. For the taste but also the name.

I just didn't buy Modern Times?!

I was thinking I am going to have to get some more Blazing world this weekend.Just got out of class and figured I may as well pick something up on the way home.

They didn't have any blazing world, but I did see that one.
Almost bought the blackhouse, but I don't think coffee or lactose holds up well over time, and it was canned back in July...
So I bought back in black IPA. Again. But less then $11 and damn tasty, you all are wrong for not drinking black IPAs. They are cheaper, delicious and you are a bad person if you don't support them.

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
I had this over the weekend. The Australian hops were mellow to me. A tasty beer all around.
93fdd010cad734a4a03c9435b96ba54d.jpg

There is also Iron Maiden Truper made by Robinsons Brewery. I never tasted more awful ESB (extra special bitter).

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
Most beers made by monks are good or excellent. Doesn't matter if they are trappist or not. Trappist means non profitable brewery (all money goes to charity, abbeys renovation ect.) Old ones (Chimay, Achel, La Trappe, Orval, Westvletern, Westmalle, Rochefort) have excelent beer except for Brouwerij de Koningshoeven (La Trappe), which is a step bellow from them in my opinion and Orval, because I am not very fond of lambic. Anyhow all are a must try for all beer freaks. There are four new trappist breweries which joined in last four years including one in USA (St. Joseph’s Abbey, Massachusetts).

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
Some more essential belgian beers:
- Brasserie d’Achouffe (Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel, Mc Chouffe, La Chouffe)
- Brouwerij Bosteels (Pauwel Kwak, Tripel Karmeliet (over 100 years old recepy considered by many as the best tripel beer), Deus Brut des Flandres (champagne beer))
-Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Gulden Draak, Gulden Draak 9000,Piraat) and many more. St. Bernardus was already mentioned. Belgian wheat beer, saison, flamish red and flamish brown are also worth a try.

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
Are there any beer shops in USA? How much beer from Europe is avalaible? I guess is not cheap. American beer cost more tha belgian ones here in Slovenia. Beer is from following breweries (Victory, Anchor, Anderson Valley, Brooklyn brewery, Flying Dod, Founders, Green Flash, Rogue Ales, Sierra Nevada, Samuel Adams). Any recommendations from above mentioned?:help: I’ve drunk Boston Lager by Samuel Adams. Excellent beer. :yo::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I've never understood the Rogue hype. Their stuff is so damn out there (I guess that's the appeal). I want beer, not some rubbish concoction with trendy ingredients. Do they even make a normal beer?

scryan

May 1, 2013
I've never understood the Rogue hype. Their stuff is so damn out there (I guess that's the appeal). I want beer, not some rubbish concoction with trendy ingredients. Do they even make a normal beer?

It has always seemed to me that they are good at brewing the weird ass **** they make?
I think that is why so many don't like them....Cause they wish instead that they were good at brewing...good beer.

I haven't really tried much of theirs in a long time, but at one point was a fan of their Dead Guy Ale. Haven't had it in 5+ years though?

edit:
Left+Hand+%26+Spiegelau+Stout+Glass+-+Image+FOR+SHOP+-+with+Milk+Stouts.jpg

Seriously.

Last edited:

Captain Mittens*

Are there any beer shops in USA? How much beer from Europe is avalaible? I guess is not cheap. American beer cost more tha belgian ones here in Slovenia. Beer is from following breweries (Victory, Anchor, Anderson Valley, Brooklyn brewery, Flying Dod, Founders, Green Flash, Rogue Ales, Sierra Nevada, Samuel Adams). Any recommendations from above mentioned?:help: I’ve drunk Boston Lager by Samuel Adams. Excellent beer. :yo::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Yes. We get a ton of European beers, you just need to know where to look.
If you get Brooklyn brewery, their local#2 is to die for

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Mmm so good, at Trader Joes right now:
Ayinger_Maerzen_2013.JPG

My girlfriend loves Gulden Draak, awesome name and logo and tastes great too.
Gulden_Draak_new_900.jpg

scryan

May 1, 2013
fivehole32 said:
Super random... But anyone know where I can get this glass?

I know amazon has almost this glass, but with a straight lip... Curious where I can get the tulip version?

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
I need to pick a bottle of that up (the Ayinger).

highly recommend it, Im realizing that most Octoberfests are awesome (late to the party probably), however I did have a Sierra Nevada Octoberfest this past weekend and I wasn't a fan, doesnt compare at all to me to some of the other ones I've had lately. The Ayinger probably being my favorite.

So that being said, anyone have any to recommend?

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
highly recommend it, Im realizing that most Octoberfests are awesome (late to the party probably), however I did have a Sierra Nevada Octoberfest this past weekend and I wasn't a fan, doesnt compare at all to me to some of the other ones I've had lately. The Ayinger probably being my favorite.

Ayinger(Celebrator Doppelbock, Bräu-Weisse, Altbairisch Dunkel, Weizen-Bock, Ur-Weisse). Weissbierbrauerei G. Schneider & Sohn, Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan (Weihenstephaner), Klosterbrauerei Andechs are excellent German breweries, if you are looking for German beer styles. I few post back I have written about some Belgian beers as well.

Captain Mittens*

You should head to High Times in Costa Mesa. They have the best selection of beers from Europe that I have ever seen

http://www.hitimewine.net/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad